The mission of the State Historic Preservation Office is to promote the preservation and enhancement of the cultural resources of the state of Nebraska.
Since the passage of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 the governor of each state has been required to appoint a State Historic Preservation Officer to oversee preservation efforts mandated by the 1966 Act. In Nebraska, the director of the Nebraska State Historical Society serves as State Historic Preservation Officer. The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Nebraska State Historical Society.
CALL FOR PATTERN BOOK HOUSES
Restoration Exchange Omaha and the Preservation Association of Lincoln are sponsoring a search for early twentieth-century houses advertised in a plan book by Omaha architect Everett Dodds. Examples have been found in both Omaha and Lincoln and more are out there. Search your neighborhood! Read more
Subscribe to our newsletter!
The Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office administers the following programs:
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP): Administering the National Register of Historic Places program. The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.
- Nebraska Historic Resources Survey & Inventory (NeHRSI): Conducting and maintaining a statewide historic resources survey & inventory (NeHRSI). Over 72,000 Historic Resources statewide are documented, mapped and inventoried.
- Nebraska Historic Tax Credit (NHTC): The NHTC, as authorized by the Nebraska Job Creation and Mainstreet Redevelopment Act, offers a total of $15 million in state historic preservation tax credits for each calendar year from 2015 to 2018.
- Archeological Survey: The State Historic Preservation Office maintains several programs to identify, interpret, and preserve the information contained in archeological sites.
- Certified Local Governments (CLG): Assisting local governments in the development of local historic preservation programs and certification of qualifying governments.
- Federal Tax Incentives: Administering a federal tax incentive program for the preservation of historic buildings.
- Valuation Incentive Program ( VIP) The Valuation Incentive Program (VIP) is a property tax incentive that assists in the preservation of Nebraska's historic buildings.
- Section 106 Review and Compliance: Assisting federal agencies in their responsibility to identify and protect historic properties that may be affected by their projects.
- Outreach and Education: Learn more about providing preservation education, training and technical assistance to individuals and groups as well as local, state and federal agencies.
- Preservation Planning: Here you can find a copy of the "Report Card" on the Nebraska Task Force on Historic Preservation and Nebraska's "State Historic Preservation Plan" (2007 - 2011).
- Contact Information and Links to Additional Historic Preservation Websites.
- Publications for Download
SHPO preservation programs in Nebraska are funded, in part, from a grant from the National Park Service.
- View activities in Nebraska sponsored by the National Park Service: