Jackson-Einspahr Sod House [AD00-057] Listed 2006/04/08
The Jackson-Einspahr Sod House is located in rural Adams County. It was constructed in several episodes between 1881 and 1910. The house is significant as an outstanding example of a now-emblematic settlement building in Nebraska. The use of sod as a building material influenced the settlement of Nebraska and made hospitable a region that many termed inhospitable. In addition, sod house construction is a building technology that is characteristic of the settlement period of Nebraska.
Ponca Agency [25BD76] Listed 2006/07/12
Located in Boyd County, this archeological site has the potential to provide information regarding the life of the Ponca people at a specific period in time, during which a process of forced acculturation and rapid change to reservation life was introduced in the midst of extreme climatic conditions and struggles with Sioux invaders. It also has the potential to provide information addressing the role played by the government Indian agency from 1859 to 1865 in providing services to aid the Ponca during the transitional period.
Fort Theater [BF05-176] Listed 2006/07/12
Located in Kearney the Fort Theater was constructed in 1914 by F.G. Keens. When it opened Keens named the decorative brick theater the Empress. A fire on January 8, 1940, gutted the Empress, but left the main façade of the building intact. After the fire the building was sold to George and Don Monroe. Following a complete reconstruction the renamed Fort Theater opened in late summer of 1940. The Fort Theater continued to operate until the mid-1970s. As a result of its long continuous operation the Fort Theater is significant for its association with the history of entertainment in Kearney.
Glenn and Addie Perry Farmhouse [CC00-348] Listed 2006/11/08
Located in rural Cass County the Perry Farmhouse was constructed in 1914. The farmhouse is largely Queen Anne style in form, with a full-width, two-story Prairie style porch on the front. Queen Anne stylistic details are seen in the hipped roof with projecting gables and the boxed eaves, while the Prairie style is evidenced by its uniform wall surfaces, its hipped roof with hipped dormer on the front, and the Prairie/Craftsman style windows.
Paul Fitzgerald House [CC07-025] Listed 2006/03/02
Constructed in 1914 the Fitzgerald House is located in Louisville. Although the house is rather larger than was typical and included a rare built-in basement-level garage, the house is a fine example of a Craftsman bungalow with excellent historic integrity. The use of locally quarried sandstone illustrates the designer's adherence to the bungalow ideal of using natural materials.
Paul Gering House [CC14-097] Listed 2006/07/12
Constructed in 1896 the Gering House is located in Plattsmouth. The house is a two-and-one-half-story wood-frame structure designed in the Colonial Revival style. The Paul Gering House, which is architecturally significant, retains a high degree of historical integrity.
Captain John O'Rourke House [CC14-098] Listed 2006/03/02
Located in Plattsmouth the O'Rourke House was constructed in 1881. This two-story Italianate style house exhibits the classical features associated with this important architectural style. The overall historic integrity of this historic property contributes to its significance.
Union Jail [CC17-007] Listed 2006/07/12
Constructed c.1916 this one-room jail is located in Union. The Union Jail is significant because it represents a period in the community's history when local officials thought the town required such a facility in order to maintain law and order. Since there was no marshal's office or city hall in which the jail could be located, the village decided to construct a freestanding structure. The establishment of this jail as the only municipal building in Union reinforces the village's concern for public safety.
Broken Bow Commercial Square Historic District [CU05] Listed 2006/11/21
Commercial growth in Broken Bow centered on the public square shortly after the town was platted in 1882. Since its development, the district has remained the core of commercial activities in the community. The district contains a collection of intact late nineteenth and early-to-mid- twentieth century commercial buildings that reflect Broken Bow's growth and development.
Mason City School [CU11-029] Listed 2006/03/02
Constructed in 1935 this school in Mason City is a two-story brick veneer building designed in the Colonial Revival style. Its architectural importance is complimented by its significance for its association with education in Nebraska as well as its connection to public works projects of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, a federally sponsored program established during the Great Depression.
Ben Bonderson Farm [DK00-113] Listed 2006/11/08
The Bonderson farm is located in rural Dakota County. The farm is an excellent collection of buildings representative of an historically significant pattern of agricultural development in Dakota County. The farmhouse and associated outbuildings retain good physical integrity. The rural setting is intact and strengthens the feeling of a late nineteen-early twentieth century farmstead.
Vinton Street Commercial Historic District [DO09] Listed 2006/07/11
The Vinton Street Commercial Historic District is significant for its association with commercial development in South Omaha. The district is an intact collection of late nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings that developed to serve the needs of area residents brought about by the development of Omaha and South Omaha.
Bennington State Bank [DO09:1386-001] Listed 2006/11/08
Constructed in 1911 the Bennington State Bank is significant for its association with the development of Bennington and the surrounding area. Between 1911 and 1928 the Bennington State Bank helped shape the lives of those living in and around Bennington. Aside from its importance to the community's business sector the bank also had close ties to the surrounding agricultural sector. As a result, the bank struggled during the agricultural depression following World War I to the extent that it was finally forced to close its doors in 1928. Still, the physical integrity of the building reflects the important role the bank played in Bennington's history.
Lincoln Telephone & Telegraph Exchange Building in Fairmont [FM04-014] Listed 2006/03/02
Located in Fairmont this Spanish Revival style building was constructed in 1929. The LT&T Exchange Building is significant for its association with communication in Nebraska. It is an excellent example of a resource that facilitated the expansion of telephone service in Fairmont and the surrounding area.
Warner's Filling Station and Residence [FM05-060] 2006/07/12
Constructed in 1922 the Warner's Filling Station and Residence is located in Geneva. The filling station is significant as a property that represents an important period in the development of roadside commerce and exemplifies a time when small filling stations were owned and operated by individuals and families. The associated house served as the residence of a succession of owners or managers affiliated with the filling station.
Rachel Kilpatrick Purdy House [GA03-361] Listed 2006/11/08
The Rachel Kilpatrick Purdy House is located in Beatrice. Constructed in 1915 this Prairie style house was designed by noted local architect Richard W. Grant. The two-story house, clad in stucco, has a hipped roof and dormer. This excellent example of a Prairie style house retains a high degree of integrity.
Burwell Carnegie Library [GF01-024] Listed 2006/07/11
The Burwell Carnegie Library, constructed in 1914, was funded through a grant from Andrew Carnegie. Construction of this library was a cause first championed by the Burwell Women's Library Club. This building follows the recommendations put forth by the Carnegie Corporation of New York regarding library design, that is, a one-story rectangular brick building with a raised basement. The Burwell Carnegie Library is significant for its contribution to the community as a library that also provided a facility for other educational activities.
The Hub Building [GF01-038] Listed 2006/07/12
Located in Burwell the Hub Building was constructed in 1906. The three-story structure is built of rusticated concrete block and is prominently located in the town square. The size, name, and location of the building were not a case of happenstance. The original owner, H.J. Coffin, intended the building to be the center of commercial activity for Burwell and the surrounding area. The building did indeed become the "hub" of commercial activity in Burwell, contributing to its growth and prosperity.
Grand Island United States Post Office and Courthouse [HL06-018] Listed 2006/02/14
This federally owned building in Grand Island had two construction phases. The original building was constructed in 1908-1910. Grand Island's continued growth necessitated construction of an addition that occurred between 1933 and 1935. The Grand Island U.S. Post Office and Courthouse has served the community as a U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and other government offices from the time of its opening to the present. This building is a symbol of the community's development and is a landmark in the downtown commercial district.
Heinrich Giese House [HL06-705] Listed 2006/07/26
Located in Grand Island the Giese House had several stages of construction from 1863 to 1877. This gabled-ell residence is a T-shaped, one-and-one-half-story log, adobe, and frame structure with a cross-gabled roof. The Heinrich Giese House is significant as an artifact of Nebraska's settlement era.
George Townsend House [JO00-050] Listed 2006/11/02
Located in rural Johnson County the Townsend House was constructed in 1913. This is a two-and-one-half-story frame house with clapboard siding. Designed in the Neoclassical Revival style the house has a hipped roof with four dormers, and an exterior bricked fireplace. Significant for its architecture the house retains good integrity.
Ponca Agency Archeological District (1865-1877) [25KX23, 25KX86, 25KX218] Listed 2006/07/12
The Ponca Agency Archeological District is located rural Knox County. This district has the potential to provide significant information regarding the life of the Ponca people at a specific period in time, during which a process of forced acculturation and rapid change to reservation life was introduced in the midst of extreme climatic conditions, food shortages, and struggles with Brule Sioux invader bands. The archeological district may also help document the challenges faced by the Agency personnel who were charged with providing services to aid the Ponca during this transitional period before they were removed to Indian Territory in Oklahoma by the United States government.
Edgar A. Burnett House [LC13:E11-014] Listed 2006/07/12
The Edgar A. Burnett House in Lincoln, is a two-and-one-half-story, rectangular building constructed in 1904 for University of Nebraska Associated Dean of Agriculture Edgar A. Burnett, who later would become Chancellor of the University. The wood-frame structure, designed by the locally prominent architecture firm of Fiske and Dieman, is an American Foursquare design with Neo-Classical ornamental details. The house retains a high degree of interior and exterior integrity.
Bassett Lodge and Range Café [RO01-041] Listed 2006/07/26
Located in Bassett the two-story hotel and café were constructed in the Art Moderne style. The establishment was built in 1949-1951 to accommodate the cattle buyers from around the country who came to the Bassett Livestock Auction. The Bassett Lodge and Range Café stands as an important connection to the livestock industry in Bassett and as an excellent example of a streamlined Art Moderne style commercial building that retains a high degree of historic integrity.
William E. Gordon House [SY02-070] Listed 2006/11/08
Constructed in 1936 the Gordon House is located in Bellevue. The one-and-one-half- story house is designed in the Craftsman style. The house has gable ends with large, triangular-braced, decorative supports positioned under wide eaves. The exterior is clad with multi-hued gray limestone veneer. The overall historical integrity enables this property to convey its significance as an excellent example of a Craftsman style house.
Alfred H. and Sarah Frahm House [WN05-010] Listed 2006/03/02
Constructed in 1905 the Frahm House is located in Fort Calhoun. The house is significant because of its unique architecture. This eclectic residence is an irregularly shaped, two-story wood-frame structure. The asymmetrical massing and hipped portions of the roof with lower cross gables resemble the Queen Anne style. The architectural details of this house, however, are Colonial Revival.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information