Running Water Station Site [25-BX-78] Listed 1975/02/20
Running Water was one of several key stations located along the Sidney-Black Hills Trail between 1874 and the mid-1880s to serve travelers and freighters on their way to the gold fields. Running Water functioned as a wayside station for trail travelers, providing food, supplies, and fresh horses.
Alliance Commercial Historic District, pdf [BX01] Listed 2007/3/21
The Alliance Commercial Historic District is historically significant as a prominent commercial center that played a vital role in the settlement of the community and the surrounding area. The district retains the character and the sense of time and place that characterized Alliance from the late 1800s into the mid-1900s.
Box Butte County Courthouse, pdf [BX01-063] Listed 1990/01/10
Box Butte County was established in 1887. Following cantankerous debates and disputed elections, Alliance became the county seat in 1899. By 1912 the residents believed the original courthouse had outlived its usefulness and needed to be replaced. After passing a bond issue to cover the construction costs the new courthouse was built in 1913. Designed by the Kansas City architectural firm of Rose and Peterson in the Beaux Arts style the courthouse continues to display good integrity.
Alliance Central Park Fountain, pdf [BX01-067] Listed 1990/11/28
The Alliance Central Park Fountain was constructed in 1935 by Works Progress Administration and city parks department crews. It is historically significant as an electrically powered, colored-light fountain. The fountain, first activated during Alliance's "Stampede Days" celebration in June 1935, was in continuous use during the summer months until the mid-1970s when it fell into disrepair. In 1989, however, money was raised to restore the fountain. The restoration did not change the historic appearance of the octagonal concrete structure.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information