Logan Creek Site [25-BT-03] Listed 1970/01/26
Hunter-gatherers of the Early Archaic period intermittently reoccupied a campsite on a now deeply buried terrace of Logan Creek located southwest of Oakland. Archeological excavations revealed successive layers, each representing a reoccupation of the site. The site dates 6000-4000 B.C. and offers an unusually rich record of activity during this early period of Nebraska's prehistory. Inhabitants hunted bison and obtained a wide variety of smaller game, fish, and wild plant foods. Logan Creek was occupied during a dry, warm climatic episode in the central and western Plains, which may have forced human groups to relocate to areas like Logan Creek in the eastern margins of the Plains.
Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische St. Johannes Kirche (St. Johns Lutheran Church, pdf) [BT00-009] Listed 1982/08/02
St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church is an excellent example of a German folk version of the Gothic Revival style. Unique in its rich wood and metal detailing, St. John's is one of the finest and least altered frame churches in Nebraska. Emigration to the Lyons area began in the early 1870s, when German immigrants who had first settled in Eitzen, Minnesota, moved there. The congregation was formed in 1874. The present church was erected in 1902 and was designed by a German-born architect, J. P. Guth of Omaha.
John Henry Stork Log House, pdf [BT00-028] Listed 1980/05/29
John Henry Stork came to Burt County from Prussia in 1864 and settled on a farm in Arizona Precinct near Tekamah. Stork later built the log house and in September 1871 received his homestead patent from the U.S. government. The one-and-one-half-story, hewn log structure is a unique example of German culture in Nebraska.
William and Emma Guhl Farmhouse, pdf [BT00-094] Listed 2008/07/02
The Guhl Farmhouse, constructed in 1922, is significant locally as an exquisite example of the Prairie style American Foursquare house. It exhibits all of the most common features for identifying a house of this style: a low pitched, hipped roof with wide overhanging eaves, a one-story, full width porch, and fenestration featuring multi-light upper sashes. The interior of the house includes features that illustrate the style's emphasis on openness and efficiency including a multi-purpose living room, laundry chute, built-in desk and bookcase, and an elaborate buffet.
H. S. M. Spielman House, pdf [BT06-002] Listed 1986/07/17
Pennsylvania native H. S. M. Spielman settled in Burt County in 1857, ten years before Nebraska achieved statehood. Spielman was a successful, enterprising farmer for over fifty years before moving to this house, in Tekamah, in 1906 after his retirement. He served as director and vice-president of the Farmer's Grain and Livestock Association of Tekamah, director and treasurer of the Tekamah and Farmer's Telephone Company, and vice-president of the Burt County State Bank. The house exhibits both Queen Anne and NeoClassical Revival detailing in its design.
Burt County State Bank, pdf [BT06-021] Listed 2009/03/04
Built by brothers Merrick R. and Harry M. Hopewell in 1883, this impressive building anchors a major intersection in Tekamah. The bank operated as private "Exchange and Banking House" run by the Hopewell brothers and W. B. White until 1892 when it was incorporated as Burt County State Bank under Nebraska's general banking law. The building represents the evolution of banking in Nebraska and is an impressive local example of the elaborate architecture of the Gilded Age. The building was home to the Burt County State Bank until 1966.
Burt County Courthouse, pdf [BT06-022] Listed 1990/01/10
Burt County was established in 1854. That same year, a group of settlers established what is present-day Tekamah. The following year Tekamah was named the county seat. From 1857 to 1867 a small two-story log blockhouse doubled as the first courthouse. A second courthouse was used until the construction of the present building. Plans for the new building dated from 1913. In 1914 the county residents voted to accept a tax levy to finance the construction of the new courthouse. No further action appears to have occurred until 1916 when construction began. Built in the Beaux Arts style the courthouse was completed in 1917.
E. C. Houston House, pdf [BT06-026] Listed 1986/03/13
The E. C. Houston House was built for Emsley Clinton Houston. Houston was the owner and founder of the Houston Lumber Company in Tekamah and also served as vice president of the First National Bank of Tekamah for over twenty years. He was elected mayor of Tekamah in 1893 and was a state senator in 1919. The large frame house constructed in 1904-5 incorporates Neo-Classical Revival details in its porches, door and window openings, and cornices. The most distinctive part of the dwelling is the prominent porch, which has a wooden railing on the first level and wrought iron railing on the second and attic stories. It is now the Burt County Museum.
Edward W. and Rose Folsom Bryant House [BT06-036] Listed 2004/08/05
Located in Tekamah the Bryant House was built in 1890. This Queen Anne style residence is an irregularly shaped, two-and-one-half story structure. The house retains a high degree of integrity and is a good example of Queen Anne architecture, a style popular from approximately 1880 to 1910.
Tekamah Carnegie Library, pdf [BT06-043] Listed 2005/03/15
Constructed in 1916 the Tekamah Carnegie Library is a one-and-one-half-story brick building. Previously lacking such a facility the town's Commercial Club began planning for the library as early as 1914. After its completion the Tekamah Carnegie Library made a significant contribution to the community's educational system.
Tekamah City Bridge, pdf [BT06-049] Listed 1992/06/29
The Tekamah City Bridge is a concrete rigid-frame style, developed in Westchester County, New York, in the early 1920s. This particular bridge was constructed in 1934 using federal relief money. The Tekamah City Bridge retains a high degree of integrity and continues to carry vehicular traffic.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information