Wild Horse Draw/Leeman's Springs Archeological Historic District, pdf [25CN] Listed 2006/07/12
Prehistoric and historic aboriginal cultures, as well as historic Euro-Americans, took advantage of a landscape that offered a continual water sources and boxed canyons useful for trapping animals. The district offers a wide variety of archeological sites associated with occupation, burial, game processing and tool production including prehistoric and proto-historic/historic teepee rings and cairns, as well as Euro-American foundations and cisterns. Together the sites in the Wild Horse Draw/Leeman's Spring Archeological Historic District have the potential to provide information on the occupation and exploitation of this particular area by peoples from three prehistoric periods, one proto-historic period, and two historic periods spanning the period 6000 B.C. - A.D. 1900.
Wes Stevens Site [25-CN-47] Listed 1973/08/28
The Wes Stevens Site is one of a handful of Native American "stone feature" sites in Nebraska. Situated on the lip of a terrace overlooking Lodgepole Creek in Cheyenne County, the site contains at least twenty-five circular arrangements of stones with an average diameter of fifteen feet, as well as nine other semi-circular or linear stone alignments. Stone circles are common on the northwestern Plains, where they have been demonstrated to be rocks used in anchoring Native American tipis. No artifacts were noted on the surface of the Stevens site. However, research in other states has shown that stone circle sites may have come into use as early as 2000 B.C.
Herboldsheimer Ranch, pdf [CN00-045] Listed 1990/04/05
Built between 1888 and 1921 the Herboldsheimer Ranch is a well preserved example of an early Nebraska ranch. Architecturally significant, the ranch retains a majority of the buildings used in the stock raising and wheat farming operations beginning in the 1880s. The ranch buildings are important for their associations with folk building traditions. Herboldsheimer, the son of German immigrants, utilized his own masonry skills and readily available materials, namely limestone, to construct his buildings.
Sioux Ordnance Depot Fire and Guard Headquarters, pdf [CN00-046] Listed 1994/10/24
The Sioux Ordnance Depot Fire and Guard Headquarters was built in 1942. The purpose of the building was to provide a center of operations for the depot security force and fire department. The building housed equipment essential for surveillance of sensitive areas within the depot perimeter. It also provided facilities for monitoring depot fire control. In an effort to conserve critical war materials the building was constructed of wood, concrete, brick, gypsum board, and cement asbestos. Metal components were used only in the building's mechanical systems and assembly fasteners. The building remains on its original site, and retains both structural and historic integrity.
Deadwood Draw, pdf [CN00-050] Listed 1992/11/12
Historically significant under the areas of transportation and archeology, Deadwood Draw contains the intact ruts and pattern of a trailhead for a major overland freight and passenger route of the late nineteenth century. Deadwood Draw was the forming up location for the freight wagons that utilized the Sidney to Black Hills Trail during the period from 1874 to 1881. The draw allowed ascent from the Lodgepole Creek valley onto the adjacent uplands by the heavily loaded wagon trains. This trail was used to supply U.S. Army posts and Indian agencies in the northern Nebraska panhandle, and the mining camps in the Black Hills. The draw contains well preserved trail ruts, a dugout depression, and an abandoned stone quarry.
Water Holes Ranch, pdf [CN00-051] Listed 1992/11/12
The Sidney to Black Hills Trail was a late nineteenth century wagon trail that helped supply U.S. Army posts and Indian agencies in Nebraska, and the gold mining camps of the Black Hills in the Dakota Territory. The trail began at the Union Pacific railhead located at Sidney Barracks, or Fort Sidney, in the southern panhandle of Nebraska. The trail ran almost due north crossing upland plains, sandhills, rivers, and the Pine Ridge escarpment before entering the southern Black Hills. Spotted along the trail were stage stations, road ranches, and rest stops for freight wagons. The Water Holes Ranch is located at the junction of two unnamed creeks. No structures remain from the original road ranche/stage station trail function. The site is represented by at least eight circular depressions attributable to former structural remains and "water holes" for stock watering. In addition, an excavated and leveled area and several sets of trail ruts are present. Current visual integrity of the site setting, in relation to historical accounts, remains high.
Lodgepole Opera House, pdf [CN05-001] Listed 1988/07/07
Located in Lodgepole, the building was constructed in 1911. The property is significant of bringing a wide variety of entertainment to the community. Additionally, the building retains a high degree of historical integrity.
Sidney Historic Business District, pdf [CN09] Listed 1994/10/21, extended, pdf 2004/10/01
Founded by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1867, Sidney experienced a period of economic prosperity in the late nineteenth century that was unrivaled in the western Nebraska panhandle. The prosperity resulted from a combination of factors that were unique to the region. While many towns in the panhandle benefited from the presence of the Union Pacific Railroad, Sidney was also the home of an important military post, Fort Sidney, a railhead for the shipment of Texas cattle, and most significantly, the primary distribution point for overland freighting to the gold mines in the Black Hills. These influences resulted in the development of Sidney as a center of regional commercial activity. Merchants who founded businesses in Sidney during the 1870s and 1880s were directly responsible for the construction of buildings extant in the district today. While most of their original wood frame buildings are non-extant, the merchants used the profits reaped during this time to construct more permanent (masonry) buildings, often on the same site. The strong association to the tremendous prosperity of the late nineteenth century continued through the early decades of the twentieth century.
Fort Sidney Historic District, pdf [CN09] Listed 1991/07/03
U.S. troops first occupied a temporary camp known as Sidney Barracks in the summer of 1867 to protect Union Pacific Railroad construction crews. The post was officially established by special order of the Department of the Platte in November 1867. In 1869 it was relocated to a site southeast of Sidney, which had been established by the railroad. Sidney Barracks became Fort Sidney by executive order in May 1874. By 1875 the fort contained quarters for three companies, five officers' quarters, a hospital, guardhouse, bakery, laundry, stables, and other structures. It was abandoned in 1894, and most buildings were sold.
The historic district, now located in a residential area of the town of Sidney, includes the commanding officer's quarters, built in 1871; a duplex officers' quarters built in 1884; and the 1872 powder magazine. The commanding officer's quarters and the officers' duplex have been restored as a museum by the Cheyenne County Historical Association.
Sidney Carnegie Library, pdf [CN09-017] Listed 1991/07/03
In 1903 a library committee was created in Sidney for the purpose of establishing a public reading room at the local Y.M.C.A. Books for the reading room were purchased with private funds. This progressive activity resulted in the founding of Sidney's first public library. In 1913 the Women's Club applied for a grant from the Carnegie Foundation to construct a public library building in Sidney. The land for the library was donated by a prominent Sidney businessman, and the Sidney Village Board passed a resolution that provided tax money for the perpetual care of the new library. Completed in 1914, the library is a one-story brick building with a raised basement constructed in the Jacobethan Revival style.
Christ Episcopal Church, pdf [CN09-042] Listed 1994/10/21
Located in Sidney, the original one-story frame and stone building was constructed in 1886-87. It is one of a few remaining physical representations in the state that is closely associated with the government's attempt to integrate Native Americans into the army and consequentially adopt Euro-American social mores. The church was used by, among others, Company I, Twenty-First Infantry which was composed of Native Americans and commanded by a white officer. The church represents one of the institutions associated with Native American policy of the time and is significantly associated with Company I at Fort Sidney.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information