Midway Stage Station [DS00-003] Listed 1969/10/15
It has been reported that Midway was built as a fur trading post in 1859. This structure served traffic along the Oregon-California Trail until the late 1860s. Located on its original site, the building is a long, low, one-story cabin, constructed of heavy, squared, hand-hewn cedar logs. Two extant log sections were added to the east in about 1860-61.
Ira Webster Olive House, pdf [DS07-020] Listed 1989/11/27
The Ira W. Olive House, constructed in 1889-90, is an excellent example of Victorian Queen Anne architecture, which is characterized by assymetrical forms, hipped and gabled roof lines. It also uses various elements such as decorative woodwork to break up the appearance of smooth walls.. Other Queen Anne features are wrap-around porches with spindle-work supports, second-story porches with balustrades, and decorative bargeboards, all of which are found in the design of the Olive House.
Dawson County Courthouse, pdf [DS07-030] Listed 1990/01/10
In 1871 area population had reached the point that residents successfully petitioned to have Dawson County established. The Union Pacific Railroad platted rail stops in the county, including Plum Creek (present-day Lexington). This town was the principal commercial center in the area and was selected as the first county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1874. In 1912 voters passed a measure to finance a new courthouse. Construction began in 1913 and by 1914 the Beaux Arts-style courthouse was open for business.
Hendee Hotel, pdf [DS02-004] Listed 1979/03/21
The two-story brick (later stuccoed) building was constructed about 1879 by John J. Cozad, who founded the town in 1874. Local legend holds that the hotel was the scene of a shooting incident between Cozad and a local farmer. In 1883 he sold the hotel to Stephen A. Hendee, a grain dealer. The hotel served as a prominent business and social center in Cozad. John Cozad's son, Robert Henry Cozad, who changed his name to Robert Henri following the shooting incident, achieved international fame as an artist.
Allen's Opera House, pdf [DS02-019] Listed 1988/09/28
The opera house was built by Charles Allen in 1906. The concrete block used in its construction was manufactured by local Cozad businessman Charles Hart. The first floor originally housed the Cozad State Bank, co-owned by Allen, and the Allen General Store. The opera house and professional office space were located on the second level. The opera house held its grand opening in February 1907 with the comedy, "Old Arkansas."
Gothenburg Carnegie Library, pdf [DS06-006] Listed 1986/12/19
The Carnegie Public Library, erected in 1915-16, is a simplified example of the Jacobethan Revival style. Designed by local architect Moses N. Bair, the building is unique among libraries in the state due to its ell-shaped plan and Jacobethan detailing. Other libraries in Nebraska follow the rectangular plan and Neo-Classical Revival detailing established by the Carnegie Corporation.
Ernest A. Calling House, pdf [DS06-015] Listed 1979/10/25
The Calling House was built in 1907 for Ernest A. Calling, a pioneer businessman of Gothenburg. Born in Klipp, Sweden, in 1870, Calling emigrated to the United States in 1889. The house is a well-preserved example of a Queen Anne residence. It illustrates the retention of Queen Anne characteristics in Plains architecture past the turn of the century.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information