Indian Hill Archeological District [25-DX] Listed 1984/07/06
A cluster of eighteen prehistoric archeological sites within less than one-half square mile constitues the Indian Hill District located near Newcastle. Indian Hill is the only exclusively prehistoric archeological district yet designated in Nebraska. It includes sixteen habitation sites encompassing over thirty individual earthlodge ruins. One site may contain a prehistoric agricultural field. Of the two remaining sites, one is a cemetery and the other is of unknown function. All sites are attributed to the St. Helena Phase, a prehistoric hunting-farming people who occupied northeast Nebraska from A.D. 1100 to 1450.
Ponca Historic District, pdf [DX08] Listed 1979/05/18
The Ponca Historic District comprises a ten-square-block area that includes the downtown commercial area and a portion of the residential environs. The district contains houses, churches, commercial buildings, and public and civic structures. The majority of structures in the district date from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Distinctive buildings include the Richardsonian Romanesque bank of Dixon County, the Carnegie Library, a Neo-Classical Revival style building, and the Ayres-Adams House, a brick Italianate dwelling. The town of Ponca, located in the Aowa Creek valley, is one of the oldest in the state, founded in the 1850s.
Cook Blacksmith Shop, pdf [DX08-029] Listed 1974/12/27
The blacksmith shop was built in 1901, in Ponca, by C. 0. Cook, who operated his business for over thirty years. It is representative of the vital role of blacksmiths in the history of American communities.
Dixon County Courthouse, pdf [DX08-040] Listed 1990/01/10
Dixon County was established in 1858. Several communities competed for the county seat designation, including Concord, Dixon (a paper town), and Ponca. In 1858 the first election on the county seat question was held, and Ponca, which was established the previous year, won. Rival settlements exacted their revenge, however, by withholding approval for building a courthouse in Ponca for about twenty-five years. Although the county records are somewhat contradictory, it seems that a courthouse was built in 1883 or 1884. In 1940 an addition was built on the existing structure.
Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Salem Church, pdf [DX09-001] Listed 1983/02/01
The Salem church, built in 1906, is one of Nebraska's outstanding examples of Swedish-American Gothic Revival wood church architecture. The building, located in Wakefield, was designed by Swedish architect Olof Z. Cervin. The Salem congregation provided the Swedish settlers of the surrounding area with social and religious opportunities.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information