Go to previous page of National Register Sites in Douglas County
Sites in Urban Douglas County are listed in alphabetical order using the historic name. For example: for the William H. Tyler House look under "W" for William.
J. L. Brandeis and Sons Store Building, pdf [DO09:124-009] Listed 1982/10/20
The J. L. Brandeis and Sons Store Building was the flagship of the Brandeis store operation founded by Jonas L. Brandeis, who came to Omaha in 1881. Under Brandeis's leadership and that of his family after his death in 1903, the business became one of the largest department store operations in the region. The original eight-story building, completed in 1906, was designed by architect John Latenser, Sr., in the Second Renaissance Revival style. A two-story addition in 1921 made the building its present ten stories.
Joel N. Cornish House, pdf [DO09:117-005] Listed 1974/08/13
The Joel N. Cornish house, built in 1886, is an excellent example of the French Second Empire style. Colonel Cornish, a lawyer and businessman, moved to Omaha in 1886 and served as president of the National Bank of Commerce. The Cornish family lived in the house until 1911, when it was converted into apartments.
Keeline Building, pdf [DO09:124-017] Listed 2000/03/09
Designed by local architect John Latenser in the Georgian Revival style, the building was completed in 1911. The Keeline Building is representative of the prosperous commercial development in Omaha during this period.
Kennedy Building, pdf [DO09:121-065] Listed 1985/08/23
The Kennedy Investment Company, an Omaha family corporation, built the Kennedy Building as a speculative commercial building in 1910, leasing it first to the People's Furniture and Carpet Company and later to the Union Outfitting Company in 1924. The building exhibits elements of the Commercial style and shows the influence of Chicago architect Louis Sullivan.
Kirschbraun and Sons Creamery Building, pdf [DO09:123-007] Listed 1998/07/23
Built in 1917, the Kirschbraun and Sons Creamery building is significant for its association with the wholesale jobbing movement in Omaha and also as an excellent example of commercial-style warehouse construction. The five-story building has ornamental terra cotta detailing and an elaborate main entrance.
Leone, Florentine and Carpathia Apartment Buildings, pdf (Kent Apartments) [DO09:205-004] Listed 1985/05/16
The Leone, Carpathia, and Florentine, known today as the Kent Apartments, are a grouping of three apartment buildings and a rear courtyard. Vincenzo P. Chiodo, a native of southern Italy, erected the buildings between 1909 and 1912 and utilized Italian stonemasons in the construction. Chiodo's choice of an Italian version of the Renaissance Revival style for the design, and the use of stone and cobble masonry in the construction, is unique in Nebraska apartment buildings of this period and was no doubt influenced by his heritage. Chiodo became a leader in Omaha's Italian social and religious organizations and acquired a considerable fortune in real estate.
Livestock Exchange Building, pdf [DO09:183-002] Listed 1999/07/07
The Livestock Exchange Building, located in Omaha, is significant for its contribution to the areas of agriculture, commerce, economics, and industry. The largest (eleven stories) and most visually prominent building constructed on the Omaha stockyards site, the Livestock Exchange Building is the most significant structure associated with the Omaha Stockyards. Upon its completion in 1926, it served as the center of the livestock industry in the Omaha area. It is also one of the most important extant properties in the country associated with the history of stockyards and meatpacking. From the time of the construction of the Omaha Livestock Exchange Building and throughout the historic period, the Omaha livestock market was one of the busiest in the nation.
Lizzie Robinson House, pdf [DO09:223-022] Listed 1993/02/25
This residence is significant because it is the only extant building in Omaha associated with Mrs. Lizzie Robinson. In 1916 Lizzie Robinson and her husband, Reverend Edward D. Robinson, founded the Church of God In Christ in Omaha, the first church of that denomination in the state of Nebraska. Mrs. Lizzie Robinson is significant historically for her role as national organizer of the women's ministry for the Church of God in Christ, the largest African American Pentescostal denomination in the world.
The Logan, pdf [DO09:126-020] Listed 2005/07/22
Located in downtown Omaha, the Logan was constructed in 1918 as an apartment/hotel with commercial space on the lower floors. The Logan is significant for its association with the post-World War I building boom in Omaha.
M.A. Disbrow & Company Buildings, pdf [DO09:0129-012] Listed 2008/08/01
After successfully operating a millwork in Iowa, in 1886 M.A. Disbrow opened a second factory in Omaha near the Missouri River to more easily reach western markets. In 1901, Disbrow constructed a three story brick building that replaced an original frame structure. Additions to this building, a second brick building of a similar design, a mule barn and a 1950s Behlen Building followed completing the plant. M.A. Disbrow & Company continued to operate at this location until 1982, providing quality millwork to home builders across the nation and contributing to Omaha's thriving commercial and industrial atmosphere. This property is located within the Nicholas Street Historic District (see separate entry).
Malcolm X House Site, pdf [DO09:228-001] Listed 1984/03/01
The house site is historically important for its association with Malcolm X, originally named Malcolm Little, born in Omaha on May 19, 1925. Malcolm X was known for his outspoken views on racial segregation, advocating a "back to Africa" movement, and later promoting social and economic self-sufficiency for blacks. He was assassinated in New York City on February 21, 1965. Malcolm X contributed to an awareness in many blacks which helped foster the birth of the black nationalist movement of the late 1960s.
The Margaret, pdf [DO09:0135-005] Listed 2007/05/15
The Margaret is significant as a building that embodies the distinctive characteristics of a style of architecture, as a type of apartment building, as a representative work of a local master Architect and a representative work of a master Contractor. It was built in 1916 as a 21 unit apartment building in North Omaha, Nebraska. The Margaret is a wonderful example of Jacobethan Revival architecture, one of the many period revivals common between 1880 and 1930.
Mary Rogers Kimball House, pdf [DO09:122-004] Listed 1996/07/19
Located in Omaha, the Mary Rogers Kimball house is a well-preserved example of residential architecture designed by Thomas Rogers Kimball. Kimball designed this house for his mother and sister in 1905. Although most noted for his work on public buildings such as the Omaha Public Library and St. Cecilia's Catholic Church, Kimball also designed several houses for affluent citizens of Omaha. Of these, the Mary Rogers Kimball house is one of the best representative examples of his residential designs, as it embodies all the characteristics found in his residential architecture.
Mason School, pdf [DO09:205-009] Listed 1986/03/13
Mason School was erected in 1888 during a time of tremendous economic growth in Omaha. In 1888, $200,000 worth of bonds were issued to build Mason School and five other structures to accommodate the growing school-age population. The school was designed by the Omaha architectural firm of Mendelssohn, Fisher, and Lawrie in the Richardsonian Romanesque style.
Melrose Apartments, pdf [DO09:214-003] Listed 1989/11/29
The Melrose apartment complex, located in Omaha and constructed in 1916, comprises two separate three-story buildings positioned adjacent and attached, but perpendicular to each other, giving the impression that the buildings are one large, L-shaped structure. A large courtyard lies between the buildings and the street corner. While the west building is larger than the north one, both are of brown brick with identical limestone and darker brown brick detailing. Both feature balconies flanking the entry bays with "The Melrose" inscribed above each entrance. The Melrose exhibits a high degree of integrity with virtually no alterations to the exterior and only minor changes in the interior.
Meyer & Raapke, pdf [DO09:0123-061 & DO09:0123-062] Listed 2013/09/04
Surrounded by Omaha's downtown core, the Richardsonian Romanesque Meyer & Raapke building sits two blocks to the west of Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The building is listed within the Multiple Property Document "Warehouses in Omaha" for its association with the wholesale grocery firm of Meyer & Raapke and the printing and office goods retailing company of Corey & McKenzie. The building is also associated with the Levenson Chemical Company, which is representative of the many pest control companies operating before World War II.
M. F. Shafer & Co. Building, pdf [DO09:128-017] Listed 2002/12/05
Constructed in 1917 the M. F. Shafer & Co. Building is significant for its association with Omaha's wholesale jobbing trade. The five-story structure is designed in the Commercial style of architecture. The building first housed a printing company before becoming strictly a warehouse about 1925.
Military Road Segment, pdf [DO09:684-001] Listed 1993/12/10
This segment of road, located in Omaha, is significant for its association with the military, road development, and westward expansion. It is part of the old Military Road that originally went from Omaha to Fort Kearny. As such, it was, after 1858, the primary route used by the military to transport supplies between the two points. The road also accommodated the movement of non-military supplies and civilian settlers. The road was first surveyed in 1856 and first came into use in 1858.
Moses Block, pdf [DO09:117-006] Listed 2000/03/09
Built in 1887, the G. C. Moses Block in Omaha is a fine local representation of the commercial/flat building type constructed during the Victorian Era. This mixed-use building, which combines commercial space on the ground floor with residential units on upper floors, was an early form of multiple dwelling in Omaha.
Moyer Row Houses, pdf [DO09:0209-049, DO09:0209-050] Listed 2008/3/12
The Moyer Row Houses are a pair of square, two story, two unit row houses built in 1904. Significant as representative of their building type and period of construction, the Moyer Row Houses are buildings that embody the distinctive characteristics of the row house building type, constructed in Omaha during a period from 1900-1940, for a local individual interested in real estate investment. After the depression of the 1890s, the Moyer Row Houses represent a revival of this building type with builder-designed Renaissance Revival inspired buildings.
Nash Block, pdf [DO09:123-009] Listed 1985/05/16
The Nash Block was built by Mrs. Catharine B. Nash for M. E. Smith and Company in 1905-7 at a cost of $190,000. The eight- story-over-raised-basement structure was designed by Thomas Rogers Kimball as factory and warehouse space. Kimball incorporated the latest fire safety techniques, including brick enclosed stairways and elevators, standard fire doors, and an automatic sprinkler system. The Nash Block was the first factory- warehouse in Omaha to have these features. By 1900 the M. E. Smith Company was the largest wholesale dry goods firm in Omaha, doing business throughout the West and Alaska.
Nicholas Street Historic District, pdf [DO09:] Listed 2009/03/02
Fourteen buildings contribute to the Nicholas Street Historic District, a small island of historic light-industrial buildings created by interweaving Union Pacific Railway tracks. A. M. Disbrow & Company (see separate summary), Deep Rock Oil Co., Orchard and Wilhelm, L. G. Loup and Adams and Kelly, among others, took advantage of proximity to rail transportation to ship their products during the district's long period of historic significance (1893-1958).
The district represents some Omaha's oldest and longest lasting companies, whose products and commercial contributions are often overshadowed by the city's food processing and wholesale jobbing industries. The Nicholas Street Historic District is also significant as a well preserved example of the island form of organization and the fourth phase of construction in industrial areas in the Midwest.
Normandie Apartments, pdf [DO09:203-007] Listed 1991/12/06
Located in Omaha, the 1898 Normandie is a three-story over raised basement apartment building. L-shaped in plan, the hip-roofed building contains three units per floor. Of 148 apartments surveyed to date, the Normandie and the Sherman Apartments, also built in 1898, are the only pre-1900 structures representative of their type extant in Omaha today.
North Presbyterian Church, pdf [DO09:140-013] Listed 1986/03/20
The North Presbyterian Church is a fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style. F. A. Henninger, Omaha architect, designed the 1910 building with inspiration from several buildings at Omaha's 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition. The church has served North Omaha since the area was an affluent suburb of Omaha. Later it became an integrated congregation, renamed the Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church in 1954. The church is a prominent landmark in the predominantly black North Omaha community.
Northern Natural Gas Building, pdf [DO09:0124-027] Listed 2009/08/26
A leader in Omaha's growing service economy in the post-World War II period, the Northern Natural Gas Company tapped the Omaha architectural firm Latenser & Sons to construct this impressive modern office building in 1951. In 1958, a fifteen story addition was completed making the Northern Natural Gas building one of Omaha's tallest structures. With an emphasis on horizontal and vertical planes with tinted windows this building embodies the modern corporate aesthetic of its period of construction.
Northwestern Bell Regional Headquarters Building, pdf [DO09:0124-056] Listed 2009/07/17
Designed by Omaha architect, Leo Daly, this building was constructed as Northwestern Bell's regional headquarters in 1957. Just five years later, plans were made public to build a nearly identical addition on the west side of the original building, which was completed in 1964. In addition to illustrating Omaha's rapid commercial evolution after World War II, the Northwestern Bell Regional Headquarters Building is an also an excellent local example of the Modern architectural style as applied to an office building.
Notre Dame Academy and Convent, pdf [DO09:361-004] Listed 1998/03/05
The Notre Dame Academy is located in the Florence neighborhood in northern Omaha and is significant for its ethnic association with the Czech population in Nebraska as the only school and convent of the Czechoslovakian School Sisters of Notre Dame in the United States. The order originated in Czechoslovakia and came to America to educate local citizens in the Czech language and culture. It is also a good local example of a building designed in the late Italian Renaissance Revival style. Designed in 1924 the building was constructed in phases over the next twenty-six years, all complying with the original design.
Oft-Gordon House, pdf [DO09:1388-002] Listed 2010/03/17
The Oft-Gordon House, built for Eggert and Rosa Oft in 1910, is architecturally significant as the best example of a free-classical Queen Anne residence in the town of Bennington. In addition, the house is associated with Eggert Oft, who was instrumental in the commercial development of Bennington as the owner of Oft's Hall and other business and banking ventures. The Ofts' daughter, Nancy, married Roy Gordon, who later became a leader in Nebraska's mink industry and served as president of the Nebraska Mink Breeders Association.
Old Market Historic District, pdf [DO09:121] Listed 1979/03/23
The Old Market Historic District, located in the eastern section of downtown Omaha, was part of the wholesale jobbing area of the city, which mushroomed in the 1880s and operated well into the twentieth century. This area was the distribution center for goods shipped on the Union Pacific Railroad and its branch lines. The district is comprised of former light industrial and warehouse buildings and wholesale jobbing houses.
Old People's Home, pdf [DO09:338-003] Listed 1987/10/21
The two-story brick building was built by the Women's Christian Aid Society in 1917 as one of Omaha's first facilities expressly designed to house the elderly. Omaha architects John and Alan McDonald designed the building in the Colonial Revival style.
Olson's Market, pdf [DO09:0557-023] Listed 2013/09/03
Olson's Market is located in the heart of downtown Benson, Nebraska, a historic neighborhood nine miles northwest of Omaha's Central Business District. Constructed in 1917, it was home to a 64-year old family business that served the city during a period of great change in the retail meat industry. Around the turn of the twentieth century, neighborhood meat markets were common throughout the country and a staple of daily life. Later, as mass production changed the industry, and more and more suburban grocery stores began to incorporate a meat counter into their business models, the iconic neighborhood meat market dwindled. Olson's Market prospered throughout these phases of industry change.
Omaha Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant, pdf [DO09:129-003] Listed 2004/12/29
Constructed in 1916 the five-story Omaha Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant is located near downtown Omaha. The plant is significant as an early example of a building type that facilitated modifications in the mass production process. Previously, complex products like automobiles were moved from building to building to be assembled where the parts were manufactured. The Omaha Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant, known as an "all-under-one-roof" structure, represent an early step in streamlining the manufacturing process for products like the automobile. Typically in this type of building an efficient assembly process flowed downwards through the building beginning with pierce work on the upper floors and ending with a finished product on the lowest floor. The Omaha Assembly Plant apparently reversed this model, receiving parts on the first floor and assembling them up through the building to the finishing area on the top floor.
Omaha High School (Central High School), pdf [DO09:126-008] Listed 1979/10/11
Omaha High School, commonly known as Central High, is an outstanding example of the Renaissance Revival style. It was designed by architect John Latenser, Sr. The building was constructed in four phases between the years 1900 and 1912. The school building, with its ten-acre campus, is prominently located in downtown Omaha and occupies the site of the second territorial capitol building.
Omaha National Bank Building, pdf (New York Life Insurance Building) [DO09:124-010] Listed 1972/10/18
Constructed in 1888-89, the building was designed in the Renaissance Revival style by the New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White. The firm designed an identical office tower for the New York Life Insurance Company in Kansas City, Missouri. The building was Omaha's first ten-story structure.
Omaha Nut, Bolt and Screw Building, pdf [DO09:121-072] Listed 1992/07/10
The Omaha Nut, Bolt and Screw Building, constructed in 1889, is significant architecturally as a late nineteenth-century example of the warehouse property type in terms of form, function, technology, and style. The building is also important in the area of commerce, having housed several different manufacturers and distributors including a tinware manufacturer, a candy manufacturer, a wholesale paper distributor, and most recently the Omaha Nut, Bolt and Screw Company, a wholesale hardware business.
Omaha Public Library, pdf [DO09:124-019] Listed 1978/05/22
The library is one of Omaha's most impressive architectural landmarks. Designed in 1891-92 by architect Thomas Rogers Kimball, the structure was completed in 1894. The building is a good example of the Second Renaissance Revival style.
Omaha Quartermaster Depot Historic District, pdf [DO09:116-001] Listed 1979/07/26
The Omaha Quartermaster Depot Historic District comprises several substantial brick structures dating 1881-94. It was established as a supply depot for the U.S. Army's Department of the Platte for storage and distribution of supplies to military outposts. The peak activity at the depot occurred during World War I, when it supplied camps and National Guard units throughout the Plains. During the New Deal, the depot was a supply base for Civilian Conservation Corps camps. The district is now known as the United States Army Reserve Center Facility.
Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District, pdf [DO09:121] Listed 1996/07/19
The Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District is significant to the commercial development of Omaha. It is related to the importance of the railroad in overland trade particularly during the period between 1887 and 1945. During this time the overland trade industry flourished and the buildings within the district were constructed. Situated along the main line of the original transcontinental railroad, this district harbors the large scale warehouses needed for the jobbing trade, as well as manufacturing warehouses, and service oriented properties. The jobbing trade was a new type of commerce during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The wholesale jobber would purchase goods directly from the manufacturer and sell them to small businesses through the traveling salesman. These businesses utilized the railroad lines that once traversed the district. The industrial, commercial, and warehouse buildings extant in the district are historically significant because of their importance to the development of the commercial and industrial economy of the city of Omaha during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Omaha Star, pdf [DO09:0221-012] Listed 2007/12/27
The Omaha Star building is located one block south of 24th and Lake, the central business district and heart of the African-American community of North Omaha. This property is significant for its association with African-American newspaper publishing in Omaha, as well as the early Civil Rights Movement in Omaha. From the date of its inception as an African-American newspaper in North Omaha in 1938, the Omaha Star has been a significant voice for change in Omaha. Whether it was merely encouraging the community to aspire to greater acts of charity and civic pride, or inspiring the African-American community to agitate for rights that were rightfully theirs, the Omaha Star has been both literally and figuratively at the heart of the North Omaha community. So much so, that during the Omaha riots of the late 1960s, the Black Panthers protected the Omaha Star building from fire and damage, seeing it as the symbol of a free voice that it has always been.
The building is also significant for its association with Mildred Brown, a formidable woman who was the owner, publisher, initiator and heart of the Omaha Star. It was she who provided the paper with its mission statement: "dedicated to the proposition that no good cause shall lack a champion and evil shall not thrive unopposed." It was a mission statement that she not only fulfilled in her working life, but in the rest of her life as well. Her days were dedicated to the betterment of her community and her neighbors' situations, and she could arguably be considered the champion of the neighborhood. Her generosity and leadership were an inspiration to many.
Packer's National Bank Building, pdf [DO09:096-004] Listed 1985/05/16
Packer's National Bank, one of three banks that began in the first decade of South Omaha's history, was founded in 1891 to accommodate the growing financial activity of this industrial suburb of Omaha. The city of South Omaha owed its existence to the Union Stockyards Company and its associated meat packing industry. By 1893 John F. Coad, an Omaha banker, had become president and established the Coad family in South Omaha banking for the next seventy-five years. The present bank building, designed by architect Thomas Rogers Kimball, was constructed in 1907 in the Second Renaissance Revival style.
Park Avenue Apartment District, pdf [DO09:0205/207-] Listed 2008/07/02
This small district in Midtown Omaha contains the Barnard Apartments (1902) and Uintah Apartments (1904), which sit across from each other on Leavenworth Street, and two duplexes constructed in 1916. Constructed at a street car line intersection, the Park Avenue Apartment District reflects the symbiotic relationship between public transportation and apartment buildings. In addition, the district's upscale apartments reflect the growing acceptance of apartment living among the middle and upper-middle class.
Park School, pdf [DO09:203-023] Listed 1989/11/29
Park School was built in 1918 by the Omaha Public School District as an eighteen-room elementary school facility. The flat-roofed, masonry building, which is U-shaped in plan, includes two floors over a raised basement. The building incorporates features of the Collegiate Gothic style. The building is located in one of the city's older residential districts, less than one mile from the central business district. Because the building has been subject to few alterations and little deterioration or removal of historic fabric has occurred, Park School retains a high degree of historic and architectural integrity.
Peerless Motor Company, pdf [DO09:0209-039] Listed 2007/11/15
The Peerless Motor Company building is a small commercial style building, sited on the North side of Harney Street at the Western edge of downtown Omaha. The Peerless Motor Company building is associated with the early rise of automobile commerce and its effects on our built environment. This building is significant for its association with the period of automobile commerce before the Great Depression and the development of "Auto Row". Physically, the Peerless Motor Company building embodies the distinctive characteristics of a typical automotive branch sales and service building of the late 1920s.
Poppleton Block, pdf [DO09:123-019] Listed 1982/10/07
The Poppleton Block was built by Andrew Jackson Poppleton, a pioneer Omaha attorney who held the position of general attorney for the Union Pacific Railroad for many years. Perhaps the most important case in Poppleton's legal career was his successful 1879 defense of Ponca Indian Chief Standing Bear (see Fort Omaha Historic District). Based on the issue of whether Indians could live outside reservations, the case set legal precedents in granting Indians status as persons under the law. The building is a fine example of commercial Italianate architecture in Omaha. The three-story brick structure was erected in 1880 with Henry Voss serving as the architect.
Porter-Thomsen House, pdf [DO09:216-027] Listed 1982/10/21
Designed by Omaha architect Frederick A. Henninger, the house is a product of the Georgian Revival style and contains a rare collection of well-preserved landscape and decorative murals painted by artist Gustave A. Fuchs, born and trained in Germany, the house was built in 1902 for Dr. Elmer R. Porter, who established a large medical practice in Omaha. Arthur C. Thomsen, owner from 1923 to 1970, was dean of the University of Omaha Law School, editor of the Night Law Bulletin, and District Court Judge from 1929 to 1958.
Prague Hotel, pdf [DO09:117-003] Listed 1987/07/09
The hotel was built in 1898 by the Omaha Brewing Association, forerunner to the Storz Brewing Company. Local architect J. P. Guth was commissioned by the brewing association to design the three- story brick structure, which housed a tavern and restaurant on the first floor, hotel rooms on the second floor, and a dance hall on the third floor. The building was a social center for Czech immigrants who settled in this south Omaha community, often referred to as "Bohemian Town" or "Praha."
Robbins-Franklin School, pdf [DO09:297-001] Listed 1998/03/05
Constructed in 1910 with a 1916 addition, the Robbins-Franklin School is significant for its contribution to the educational system of South Omaha, then Omaha proper after its annexation. The school served residents of a newly established and growing Polish immigrant area dominated by meatpacking and the livestock industry. It is also an excellent example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture.
Redick Tower, pdf [DO09:123-011] Listed 1984/06/21
The Redick Tower was designed to house offices, commercial space, and automobile parking facilities. Built of reinforced concrete with a brick and terra-cotta exterior, the eleven-story tower is designed in the Art Deco style. The Redick Tower was built in 1930 by the Parsons Construction Company to the design of Omaha architect Joseph G. McArthur. The owner, Garrett and Agor, Inc., named the structure after the Redick family, pioneer settlers of Omaha and longtime owners of the Redick Tower site.
Rose Realty-Securities Building, pdf [DO09:123-075] Listed 1996/07/19
The Securities Building was constructed in 1916 by the Rose Realty Company. It is architecturally significant as a unique adaptation of the Sullivanesque style, being the only office building of this style in Omaha. This six-story building is an early example of the tripartite method of design inspired by Louis Sullivan.
Rosewater School, pdf [DO09:105-001] Listed 1985/05/16
The two-story brick structure was built in 1910 and is a simple yet well-designed example of the Second Renaissance Revival style. The school was named for Edward Rosewater, a Czech immigrant who founded The Omaha Daily Bee in 1871. He was elected to the Nebraska House of Representatives in 1870 and in 1871 sponsored legislation which established a single Omaha school district and an elected board of education.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church Complex, pdf [DO09:140-006] Listed 1983/03/24
The most significant building of the complex is the Late Gothic Revival church, whose tall spire and stone construction make it a landmark in the surrounding residential neighborhood. The church was built in 1900-02 to the design of the Omaha architectural firm of Fisher and Lawrie. The complex, which also includes two brick schools, a rectory, and shrine, was created under the leadership of the Reverend Patrick J. Judge. Born in Ireland and ordained in Rome, Judge came to Omaha in 1892. In 1895 he was appointed to the infant Sacred Heart Parish and served until his death in 1942.
Saddle Creek Underpass, pdf (Dodge Street Overpass) [DO09:322-014] Listed 1992/06/29
This overpass and the adjacent cloverleaf were built as part of a federal aid project in Omaha that the Department of Roads described in its 1933-34 Biennial Report: "The Dodge Street project consisted of widening the street from Thirtieth west to the city limits, making a four traffic-lane street between those points. Included in this project is a complete, modern street light system, and interlocking traffic control signal system, two pedestrian subways, and a grade separation of Dodge Street and Saddle Creek Boulevard." Over 1,175 cubic yards of dirt were excavated to lower Saddle Creek Road sufficiently to pass under the overpass. The project was completed in 1934.
St. Cecilia's Cathedral, pdf [DO09:323-001] Listed 1979/01/25
Located in Omaha, the cathedral, designed in a Spanish version of the Renaissance Revival style, is a dramatic departure from the common architectural styles selected for Roman Catholic churches in the early twentieth century. It is one of the ten largest cathedrals in the United States. The church was designed by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball, and the cornerstone was laid in 1907.
St. John's African Methodist Episcopal Church, pdf [DO09:136-001] Listed 1980/05/29
Omaha's St. John's African Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed in 1921 in the Prairie style. An auditorium extension was added to the building in 1947, and auxiliary rooms were finished in 1956. Designed by Omaha architect Frederick S. Stott, the building reflects a progressive attitude on the part of this black congregation at a time when traditional values in religious architecture were prevalent.
St. Joseph Parish Complex, pdf [DO09:116-003] Listed 1986/07/17
St. Joseph's Parish was organized to serve Omaha's German-speaking Catholics. The present church was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Franciscan architect Brother Leonard Darscheid in 1915. The friary, built in 1886, was planned by Brother Adrian Wewer, who also designed the convent/school in 1901. A second school building was constructed in 1928 to plans prepared by Omaha architect Jacob Nachtigall. St. Joseph's Parish continues under the administration of the Franciscan Fathers with parishioners of German heritage comprising a large percentage of the church's membership.
St. Martin of Tours Episcopal Church, pdf [DO09:100-001] Listed 1982/10/21
St. Martin Church is an excellent small-scale example of the Late Gothic Revival style. Built in 1899-1900, the limestone church was the first Episcopal mission in the new town of South Omaha and, after the failure of subsequent missions, remains the only parish today. It is located on South Omaha's main thoroughfare, South Twenty-fourth Street.
St. Matthias' Episcopal Church, pdf (Dietz Memorial United Methodist Church) [DO09:115-003] Listed 1980/11/23
Gifts to the Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska made possible the construction of St. Matthias' Episcopal Church in 1888-89 in Omaha. The building was both a parish church for Episcopalians and a chapel for the neighboring Brownell Hall, a female seminary operated by the diocese. It was designed by architect John W. H. Hawkins, a native of New York and a graduate of Cornell. The stone church combines both Gothic and Romanesque Revival elements in its design. The building is presently known as Dietz Memorial United Methodist Church.
St. Philomena's Cathedral and Rectory, pdf (St. Frances Cabrini) [DO09:117-002] Listed 1980/01/03
Designed by architect Thomas Rogers Kimball and erected in 1908, St. Philomena's Cathedral, located in Omaha, represents a Spanish version of the Renaissance Revival style. The church has a red-tiled roof, stucco walls, and a prominent side tower. Kimball also designed the 1910 rectory building in the Spanish mode. In 1958 the name of the church was changed to St. Frances Cabrini.
St. Richard's Catholic School and Rectory [DO09-0348-001] Listed 2012/03/12
Located in northeastern Omaha, St. Richard's Catholic School and Rectory reflect the Catholic Church's expansive reaction to suburban growth during the 1960s. With its extensive building site, space for specialized uses, classrooms designed to provide optimum flexible space, the careful treatment of light, and the use of newly developed building materials and technologies, the building illustrates the changing philosophies in post-World War II American public and parochial educational architecture. However, unlike all other Omaha Catholic parishes constructed during this time, movement of parishioners out of the neighborhood kept the parish from completing construction of over half the parish plant. The property, designed by noted Omaha architect Stanley J. How, illustrates how quickly Omaha demographics changed in a burgeoning North Omaha neighborhood.
Sanford Hotel (Conant Hotel), pdf [DO09:124-038] Listed 1985/09/26
The Sanford Hotel was constructed in 1916-17 during an Omaha building boom. It is a well-preserved example of high rise hotel architecture in early twentieth century Omaha. Dr. Harold Gifford, owner and developer of the hotel, was known internationally as a pioneer in ophthalmology and locally as a prominent philanthropist. He was a founder of Methodist Hospital, one of Omaha's largest medical centers, and also organizer of the Omaha Medical College. After the hotel's construction, the Sanford was leased to Harley Conant, who operated it until 1950.
Saunders School, pdf [DO09:323-021] Listed 1986/03/13
Opened to students in 1900, Saunders School is one of the earliest surviving examples of schoolhouse design by John Latenser, Sr. The Omaha architect built his reputation on designs for more than twenty of the city's public schools and later completed commissions for many of Omaha's large civic and commercial buildings. The school was named for Alvin Saunders, Nebraska's last territorial governor and United States senator from 1877 to 1883. Saunders served on the Board of Regents of Omaha's high school.
Scottish Rite Cathedral [DO09:0124-007] Listed 2011/08/10
As a reflection of architect John Latenser, Sr.'s mastery of the refined Neoclassical Revival style, the Scottish Rite Cathedral figures prominently in the social/fraternal history of Omaha during the early 20th century. Latenser was quite prolific throughout Nebraska and Iowa as an architect of cultural, public, and educational buildings. With its simple, refined detailing and Ionic columns, which are significant in the symbolism of Freemasony, this building was well suited to house an organization of which many of Omaha's community and business leaders were members.
Selby Apartments, pdf [DO09:315-001,002,003] Listed 2004/12/30
Constructed in 1942-43 the Selby Apartments are located in Omaha. The complex is composed of three separate concrete block buildings. Designed by local architect Reinholdt Henning, the buildings are an excellent example of the Prairie School style of architecture.
Selma Terrace, pdf [DO09:0207-050] Listed 2008/07/02
Designed by Omaha architect Richard Everette in 1916, Selma Terrace is a fine local example of the Sunlight and Air Apartment, a subtype of the Garden Apartment. Character defining features include an L-shaped plan, a slender width allowing each unit windows on at least two elevations and individual sun porches. The Garden Apartment movement developed in the United States as tenement laws and housing reform combined to transform middle class apartments from dark, cramped quarters, to bright sunlit spaces with sufficient ventilation.
The Sherman (Sherman Apartments), pdf [DO09:137-004] Listed 1986/03/13
The three-story Sherman Apartment Building was built in 1897 for businessman George H. Payne, president of Eastern Realty Company and financier of numerous development projects. The building is named for Sherman Avenue, the former name of Omaha's North Sixteenth Street, which had developed in the 1860s as a country drive to estates on the dramatic bluffs north of the city. The building is a fine and well-preserved example of the Neo-Classical Revival style.
Simon Brothers Company (Ford Warehouse Building), pdf [DO09:125-037] Listed 1999/04/01
Located in Omaha, this structure is a six-story brick and stone building constructed in 1919 for the Simon Brothers Company, a wholesale grocery company. It is significant for its association with the wholesale jobbing movement in the city, and as a representative example of commercial style warehouse construction.
South Omaha Main Street Historic District, pdf [DO09:098] Listed 1989/02/14
The South Omaha Main Street Historic District is a cohesive grouping of more than thirty buildings. It encompasses the civic and commercial core of the former municipality of South Omaha, an industrial suburb founded by a group of Omaha capitalists in 1883 to support their business interests in the stockyards and meat-packing industry.
Stabrie Grocery, pdf [D009: 0127-005] Listed 2007/11/15
Stabrie Grocery was constructed in 1883 northeast of the Central Business District in Omaha, Nebraska. Additions to and changes in how the building has been used represent the evolution of the grocery store, grocery warehouse, wholesale ventures and the manner in which Americans shopped for groceries during the period between the 1880's through 1940's. In addition to changes in grocery enterprises, the building also represents the impact of the Union Pacific Railroad in the surrounding neighborhood's growth and industrialization.
Standard Oil Company of Nebraska Building, pdf [DO09:0122-001] Listed 1979/08/24, Amendment, pdf 2009/11/05
This building served as the "flagship" headquarters for the Standard Oil Company (Nebraska) from its construction in 1921/1922 through 1939, the year the company was purchased by the Standard Oil Company (Indiana). It is significantly associated with the marketing policies, operations, sales, and management of the company, the preeminent marketer of petroleum products in Nebraska. The building is also significant for associations with Alexander H. Richardson and Henry W. Pierpont, who served key positions and successive terms as president.
Steiner Row House #1, pdf [DO09:122-053] Listed 199/107/03
The Steiner Rowhouse #1 was built in 1909 near the edge of downtown Omaha as a three-unit rowhouse structure. The simply detailed, two-story brick building exemplifies the rowhouse, both formally and functionally, and exhibits elements associated with the early twentieth-century Renaissance Revival style. The rowhouse was a popular form of multi-family housing in Omaha in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Steiner Row House #2, pdf [DO09:122-050] Listed 1991/07/03
This three-unit brick rowhouse was designed by architect Joseph Guth for Dr. N. F. Steiner in 1911. Joseph Kettnacker was the builder. The structure exemplifies the rowhouse, both formally and functionally, and exhibits elements associated with the early twentieth-century Renaissance Revival style. The rowhouse was a popular form of multi-family housing in Omaha in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Strehlow Terrace, pdf (Terrace Garden Apartment Complex) [DO09:135-004] Listed 1986/12/23
The Terrace Garden complex is located in the northeast part of Omaha on land annexed by the city in the late 1850s. The complex's six buildings include: three multiunit apartment houses-the Majestic, the Strehlow, and the Roland, built in 1905, 1907, and 1909, respectively; a one-story annex/ apartment, a two-story residence, and a garage/apartment, built between 1910 and 1920. The buildings are arranged around a central courtyard, which retains elements of the original landscape design, including a concrete fountain and benches. A collaborative effort between client-builder Robert C. Strehlow and Omaha architect Frederick A. Henninger, the complex is the state's earliest known example of an integrated grouping of related apartment buildings. Robert Strehlow, an Omaha-based builder, gained a national reputation for his construction work at world's fairs, beginning with Omaha's 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition and continuing through the Panama-Pacific Exhibition in San Francisco in 1915. During this period, Strehlow developed his apartment complex, incorporating aspects of turn-of-the-century exposition design, including an axial court arrangement, a sculptured fountain, and landscaped grounds.
Swartz Printing Company Building, pdf [DO09:0121-078] Listed 2007/07/03
The Swartz Printing Company building is significant for its role in the broad pattern of commercial growth and development of Omaha, Nebraska. The building is situated on the border of the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District (NRHP 1996) and compliments the architectural character and historic associations of the district.
Swoboda Bakery, pdf [DO09:117-012] Listed 1996/07/19
The Swoboda Bakery building is significant to the ethnic history of Omaha for its association with Czech immigration and settlement. Constructed in 1889 by a Czech mason for a Czech client, the building combined commercial space on the first floor with flats above. A popular ethnic bakery was operated from the building by its owner for more than forty years. The Swoboda Bakery is located within an approximately eighteen-block area that was historically the city's largest district of concentrated Czech settlement known as "Praha," or Little Bohemia. The building contributes to the historical development of this ethnic enclave, representing a building type that provided neighborhood-based services and housing.
Terrace Court, pdf [DO09:0205-018] Listed 2008/07/02
This grouping of three apartment buildings was developed in 1920-1921 by the Drake Reality and Construction Company, Omaha most prolific apartment building firm from 1900-1930. Each follows the company's standardized double Maltese cross plan. Terrace Court also displays decorative and structural hydro-stone, a cast stone material that the Drake Reality and Construction Company began producing in 1920.
Thiessen Pickle Company [DO09:0124-007] Listed 2011/12/13
The H. Thiessen Pickle Company building, designed by Harvey C. Peterson and constructed in 1933, is located in Omaha at the end of a former spur for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. The company manufactured pickles, from cucumbers grown in Minnesota and Colorado, and produced vinegar and other condiments under its own name, as well as for other labels. Its adjacency to both the railroad and the paved streets was important for shipping raw materials in and processed goods out. The company survived WWI and WWII rationing, and even grew during the Great Depression, but eventually succumbed to economies of scale (and its larger competitors) in 1960.
Trinity Cathedral, pdf [DO09:126-009] Listed 1974/08/07
Completed in 1883 the cathedral is a well-preserved example of the Late Gothic Revival style. Designed by English architect Henry G. Harrison, the cathedral displays rock-faced masonry walls and stone tracery in the stained glass lancet windows. Trinity Cathedral, located in Omaha, was organized as Nebraska's first Episcopal parish in 1856 and became its first Episcopal cathedral in 1872. The church served as the base of many Episcopal missions to areas of the western United States.
Twin Towers, pdf [DO09:0210-008] Listed 2010/03/22
This mid-20th Century, mixed-use, high-rise development is a landmark in Omaha's Midtown area. In 1961, entrepreneur Julius Novak hired Omaha architect James Nicas to design a multi-phase building project that involved the wholesale remodeling of a former Sears & Roebuck building (completed in 1962) and the construction of a 11-story tower immediately to the north (completed in 1967). A subterranean parking garage and surface lot complete the development.
The Twin Towers development is significant as the manifestation of identified planning goals developed in Omaha during the post-WWII era. These include privately-funded urban renewal, urban links to the interstate system and the creation of new housing options. Moreover, the property is architecturally significant as an expression of the Modern style. This can be seen in the arrangement of its vertical and horizontal planes, use of a curtain wall, its interior finishes and in its relationship to its surroundings, particularly nearby Turner Park.
Undine Apartments, pdf [DO09:0209-048] Listed 2008/3/12
The Undine is significant for its association with the development of the apartment building type in Omaha. As Omaha's apartment building stock grew, so did the diversity of its planning and final form. The Undine is a good example of a typical builder/developer designed apartment building that used iconic details to appeal to its target audience. This property is also significant for its distinctive characteristics representing a type and period of construction. Like many apartment buildings constructed during the early 20th century in Omaha, the Undine was located with-in a network of streetcar lines, making it readily accessible from downtown where many of its residents worked. Like many apartments built by contractors who were also developers, it was built on a smaller framework of massing and proportions that made it more affordable to the average white collar worker, while retaining the features that would be recognized as upscale and desirable.
Union Passenger Terminal, pdf [DO09:119-003] Listed 1971/11/12
The Union Passenger Terminal was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood of Los Angeles and completed in 1931. The massive exterior walls are of cream-colored glazed terra cotta and display Art Deco detailing. The building typifies the numerous passenger stations Underwood designed as consulting architect to the Union Pacific System. The completion of the terminal and the reconstruction of the connected Burlington Station firmly established Omaha as an important railroad terminus in the Midwest.
U.S.S. Hazard, pdf (NHL) U.S.S. Marlin, pdf [DO13-001] Listed 1979/01/17
The U.S.S. Hazard, a navy minesweeper, was launched May 21, 1944, by the Winslow Marine Railway and Shipbuilding Company, in Winslow, Washington, and was commissioned October 31. Hazard received three battle stars for World War II service and arrived in Omaha in June 1971. U.S.S. Marlin was launched October 14, 1953, and was designed as a target submarine. It was built by the Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corporation, in Groton, Connecticut. Marlin was brought to Omaha from Key West, Florida, in 1974. The U.S.S. Hazard was designated a National Historic Landmark on January 14, 1986, and is one of the best preserved World War II warships in the country.
Vinton School, pdf [DO09:108-009] Listed 1989/11/29
A two-story brick structure designed in the Tudor Revival style, Vinton School was built as a fourteen-room elementary school in 1908 in Omaha. Rectangular in plan, the building employs a technical system of load-bearing walls to support floors of wood joist construction. A series of hipped roofs shelters the structure. Although the school's interior has been subject to remodeling, the exterior remains largely unaltered; overall, the building has retained a high degree of historic and architectural integrity.
Vinton Street Commercial Historic District, pdf [DO09] Listed 2006/07/11
The Vinton Street Commercial Historic District is significant for its association with commercial development in South Omaha. The district is an intact collection of late nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings that developed to serve the needs of area residents brought about by the development of Omaha and South Omaha.
Weber Mill, pdf [DO09:256-001] Listed 1998/12/31
The Weber Mill is located in the Florence neighborhood in north Omaha. Under the continuous operation of the Weber family for over 104 years it was considered to be the longest operating business in Nebraska. The property has significantly contributed to the milling industry and its changing technology from the last half of the nineteenth century into the twentieth century.
Webster Telephone Exchange Building, pdf [DO09:136-004] Listed 1989/11/29
Located in the Near North Side neighborhood of Omaha, the brick building was opened in June 1907 by the Nebraska Telephone Company as one of its exchanges. It was designed by architect Thomas Rogers Kimball. The building was remodeled as a community center in 1933.
West Lawn Mausoleum, pdf [DO09:420-001] Listed 2004/12/30
Located in Omaha's West Lawn Cemetery the West Lawn Mausoleum was constructed in 1915. The mausoleum is unique in Nebraska. No other in the state compares to it in size, age, or the richness of its materials. It beautifully conveys the ideals of Greek Revival-style architecture, both in its form and details, and its Acropolis-minded placement at the top of the cemetery's highest hill. Additionally, its architect, Henry Bacon, was an acknowledged master of monumental architecture.
Wohlner's Neighborhood Grocery, pdf [DO09:0428-004] Listed 2010/09/16
This simple, one story, three bay, brick commercial building was home to one of Omaha's best known independent neighborhood markets for decades. The building was constructed by Ben Newman in about 1920 for his grocery business and was later purchased by Albert Wohlner, co-founder of United Cooperative Foods Stores, Inc in 1933. It is significant as one of the few independent groceries able to survive growing competition from chain stores like Hinky Dinky and O.P. Skaggs. Moreover, the Newman and Wohlner families were considered leaders in both the local grocery trade and among Omaha's Jewish community.
National Register Sites in Douglas County
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information