Dundy County Courthouse, pdf [DN01-018] Listed 1990/01/10
Dundy County is located in a cattle-raising area in the southwest corner of Nebraska, and its west and south boundaries are also the state line between Nebraska, Colorado, and Kansas. Settlement began in earnest in the 1880s due in large part to construction of the railroad. In 1882 the Burlington Railroad established a station just across from the existing town of Collinsville. Residents promptly moved to the site and changed the name of the town to Benkelman. Dundy County was organized in 1884 and Benkelman was designated as the county seat. In 1920 voters approved a bond issue to replace the original courthouse with a new facility. By September of the following year the new courthouse opened.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information