Stockholm Swedish Lutheran Church and Cemetery, pdf [FM00-020] Listed 1995/06/30
The Stockholm Swedish Lutheran Church and Cemetery are located a few miles southwest of Shickley. The location is north of the center of a rural ethnic enclave formed when Swedish immigrants began settling in Bryant Township in the early 1870s. Named after the Swedish capital, the Stockholm Swedish Lutheran congregation was organized in 1875. In 1878 the cemetery was established when the Swedish Lutheran Church Association deeded five acres to the newly organized Swedish Cemetery Association. The present church building was constructed in 1900-01.
Fairmont Army Airfield, pdf [FM00-028] Listed 2003/03/11
Constructed in 1942 the Fairmont Army Airfield is about two miles south of Fairmont in Fillmore County. The Fairmont Army Airfield was a heavy bombardment training facility. Training at this facility began in earnest in 1943. Over the following two years thousands of air crews and their support staff trained in B-24 and B-29 aircraft, and saw service in both the Pacific and European theaters of war.
Big Blue River Bridge, pdf [FM00-044] Listed 1992/06/29
After some initial experimentation with concrete bridge construction in the early 1900s, Fillmore County built concrete arch and slab spans almost exclusively from 1914 through the 1920s. The state engineer appears to have been largely responsible for the county's acceptance of concrete. The state was a major proponent of concrete, touting it as a more durable alternative to steel. Fillmore County relied on state bridge plans until 1918, when William A. Biba became county engineer. Biba appears to have designed all of the county's bridges until 1931, using state plans as a model. Designed in 1918, this fifty-foot concrete arch was apparently one of Biba's first bridges. It was built that year by Exeter, Nebraska, contractor Frank Craven. The Big Blue River Bridge represents early concrete bridge construction in Nebraska.
Maple Grove Sales Pavilion and Farrowing Barn, pdf [FM00-085] Listed 2009/07/16
William McCurdy built this barn for sows and their litters on his farm between Tobias and Ohiowa around 1912. The attached square pavilion housed livestock auctions featuring McCurdy's purebred Duroc and Poland-China hogs. The Maple Grove Sales Pavilion and Farrowing Barn represent the purebred livestock industry, an important component of Nebraska's agricultural and commercial history.
Fairmont Creamery Company Building, pdf [FM04-012] Listed 1983/12/15
The one-story brick commercial building, erected in 1884, was the general office of the nationally known Fairmont Creamery Company. Founded by Wallace Wheeler and Joseph Rushton, the company became well known in the dairy industry for its quality control and progressive methods of food production and distribution. The general offices of the company moved from Fairmont to Omaha in 1907. In 1947 the Fairmont Creamery Company became Fairmont Foods Company. During the 1970s, Fairmont Foods moved its headquarters from Omaha to Houston and later changed its name to Utotem, Inc.
Lincoln Telephone & Telegraph Exchange Building in Fairmont, pdf [FM04-014] Listed 2006/03/02
Located in Fairmont this Spanish Revival style building was constructed in 1929. The LT&T Exchange Building is significant for its association with communication in Nebraska. It is an excellent example of a resource that facilitated the expansion of telephone service in Fairmont and the surrounding area.
Dempster-Sloan House, pdf [FM05-005] Listed 2005/03/15
Constructed in 1887 the Dempster-Sloan House in Geneva is a two-story red brick residence built in the Italianate style. It is significant for its association with John A. Dempster, a prominent local businessman and Charles H. Sloan, a local banker, lawyer, and statewide politician. Additionally, the house retains a high degree of architectural integrity.
Fillmore County Courthouse, pdf [FM05-001] Listed 1978/12/12
Completed in 1894, the Fillmore County Courthouse is a simplified version of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The courthouse was designed by architect George E. McDonald and was modeled after the Gage County Courthouse in Beatrice. The two-story brick building, located in Geneva, has a prominent three-story tower with a community clock, installed by jeweler W. P. McCall in 1909.
J. M. Burk Residence, pdf [FM05-021] Listed 2001/02/23
Located in Geneva, the J. M. Burk House was built in 1891. It is locally significant as a well-preserved example of residential Queen Anne architecture, a style that was popular from approximately 1880 to1910. Although the style was popular during the period in which the house was built, very few classic Queen Anne houses were constructed in this part of Nebraska.
George W. Smith House, pdf [FM05-031] Listed 1986/05/08
This house was built in 1890 for early Geneva settler George W. Smith, who established a loan office, the predecessor of the First National Bank of Geneva. Through his banking business and also as a partner in a land development company, he platted and promoted the sale of building lots in Geneva in the early 1880s. In 1925 the house was converted to a hospital by Anna Eggenberger, a registered nurse, and remained as such until 1942. The frame house is a good example of Queen Anne style.
Warner's Filling Station and Residence, pdf [FM05-060] 2006/07/12
Constructed in 1922 the Warner's Filling Station and Residence is located in Geneva. The filling station is significant as a property that represents an important period in the development of roadside commerce and exemplifies a time when small filling stations were owned and operated by individuals and families. The associated house served as the residence of a succession of owners or managers affiliated with the filling station.
Auditorium, pdf [FM05-065] Listed 1988/09/28
Constructed at a cost of $20,000, the two-story brick building opened in December 1915 as the new city hall in Geneva. Access to the former opera house is provided through double doors and a spacious lobby. The opera house interior has a raked floor, balcony, stage, and orchestra pit.
Geneva United States Post Office, pdf [FM05-126] Listed 1992/05/11
The Geneva United States Post Office is a one-story, five-bay Georgian Revival-style building constructed in 1939-40. While the building retains a high degree of integrity, its historical significance derives from the mural painted on an interior wall.
Through New Deal programs such as the Public Works of Art Project and the WPA Federal Art Project, thousands of artists were employed. In 1934 the Section of Painting and Sculpture (renamed the Section of Fine Arts in 1938) was organized under the auspices of the Treasury Department to provide murals and sculpture for the many federal buildings constructed during the New Deal era.
Between 1938 and 1942 the Treasury Department's Section of Fine Arts (generally known as "the Section") commissioned twelve murals for twelve newly constructed post offices in Nebraska. Geneva, along with the other eleven post office murals in Nebraska represent the Section's goal of making art accessible to the general population by reserving one percent of new building construction for art.
Milligan Auditorium, pdf [FM08-029] Listed 1996/02/29
The Milligan Auditorium, constructed in 1929-30, stands today as perhaps the most significant Czech-American building in Nebraska representing the period of coalescence and assimilation (c.1920-60). Of the ten halls recorded in the Nebraska Historic Buildings Survey that were constructed by liberal Czechs during this period, this auditorium is the only one to have been built by an association of multiple organizations. Saline Center Hall was also built by an association of groups, but it was an association of lodges of the same organization, re-formed by merger. Milligan's association of four separate lodges of the Z.C.B.J., a vesna of the J.C.D., a society of the T.J. Sokols, and a local dramatic club is unique among the public Czech halls in Nebraska. A very strong sense of cultural coalescence is evident in this unique association.
Ohiowa Public School, pdf (School District 40) [FM09-023] Listed 2005/07/22
School District 40 was created in 1872. The original schoolhouse was replaced in 1888 with a two-story wood-frame building located on the site of the extant Ohiowa Public School building. Over time it developed severe structural problems. In 1921 District 40 residents voted for a bond issue to build a new school. Completed in 1923 the Ohiowa Public School is significant for its contribution to the development of education in the community.
Belle Prairie Township Hall and Strang Town Hall/Jail, pdf [FM11-005] Listed 1991/11/29
The Belle Prairie Township Hall (1911) and Strang Town Hall/Jail (1907) are good examples of political and governmental structures of their type built in the early 1900s in Nebraska. The historical purpose of these two buildings was to fulfill the needs of the township and town's governing body. The elected officials and citizens of the community met in these halls to discuss and determine what governmental policies were needed, how the finances would be obtained, and what regulations were necessary.
Strang School District #36, pdf [FM11-008] Listed 1992/06/25
A simplified version of the Renaissance Revival-style, the two-story brick building was constructed in 1929-30 to replace the previous schoolhouse that was destroyed by a fire in 1928.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information