Lost Creek Archeological Site [FR-25-06] Listed 1983/05/26
Hunters and farmers of the Upper Republican Phase established this small village sometime during the thirteenth century A.D. Although the Lost Creek Site, located in the Bloomington vicinity, was occupied by only a single culture, the duration of use appears to be fairly lengthy, and changes in artifact types and styles during the two-to-three-century span of Upper Republican occupation are likely to be represented there.
Republican River Bridge, pdf [FR00-070] Listed 1992/06/29
In Nebraska, the pinned Pratt through truss was the bridge of choice for medium-span applications in the early 1900s. Most of the structures erected during this period consisted of single spans, but a number of multiple-span trusses - such as the Republican River Bridge, constructed in 1911, and the North Loup Bridge in Valley County - were built over the wider crossings. However, almost all of these early bridges have since been replaced or substantially altered. A regionally important crossing in southern Nebraska, the Republican River Bridge, located near Riverton, is technologically significant as a well preserved example of this now uncommon vehicular bridge type.
Dupee Music Hall, pdf [FR03-001] Listed 1985/09/26
The Dupee Music Hall is the only remaining structure of the Franklin Academy. The academy was established in 1881, in the town of Franklin, under the supervision of the Republican Valley Association of Congregational Churches. By 1888 Nebraska had five Congregational academies offering college preparatory courses to students who desired more academic training than a typical nineteenth century high school provided. The Dupee Music Hall was erected in 1902 to house the music department, which had become one of the major interests of the academy. The academy closed in June 1922, after serving 2,570 students in its forty-one-year history.
Franklin County Courthouse, pdf [FR03-037] Listed 1990/07/05
Various groups made early, often temporary settlements in the area beginning in 1870, and the following year the county was organized. County residents spent considerable time and energy trying to establish good candidates for the county seat. Waterloo briefly held that designation, as did a community named Franklin City, but in 1874 Bloomington won a county seat election. In 1878 railroad officials announced plans to build a line that would pass through Franklin County. A new Franklin was among the rail stops platted along the line. Supporters of the town of Franklin rekindled the county seat controversy in the late 1910s and successfully challenged Bloomington. In 1920 voters approved the change and Franklin became the county seat. Construction on the new courthouse began in 1925 and the building opened the following year.
Lincoln Hotel, pdf [FR03-055] Listed 1989/07/06
The Lincoln Hotel, constructed in 1918 in Franklin, is significant for its association with the commercial development of the town and with the building boom of second generation hotels that was occurring statewide during the first quarter of the twentieth century. The hotels built during this period, as exemplified by the Lincoln, were multi-floor, brick buildings that offered the most modern conveniences, and catered especially to the businessmen who traveled on the railroad. Aside from providing pleasant quarters for travelers, the new hotels became the symbol of a prospering community with a bright future. It is within this context that the importance of the Lincoln Hotel is realized.
First Congregational Church, pdf [FR06-001] Listed 1982/09/14
The Naponee Octagon Church is one of the few octagon churches in Nebraska. The First Congregational Church was organized on May 15, 1881, ten years after the settlement of Naponee. Construction began in 1887, and the dedication service was held on July 10, 1887, by the Reverend C. S. Harrison of Franklin.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information