Blue Springs or Wonder Site [25-GA-01] Listed 1973/08/14
The Blue Springs Site is an early nineteenth century Pawnee village on a prominent hilltop overlooking the Big Blue River near the present-day town of Blue Springs. When first visited by archeologists in 1904, nearly fifty earthlodge depressions and defensive earthworks were visible. Fortifications at Blue Springs may have been constructed as a response to conflicts with the Kansas Indians. There is evidence that the site was occupied on an intermittent basis by the Tappage band of Pawnee from the late 1700s until 1825.
Barneston Site (Oto Agency) [25-GA-04] Listed 1974/01/21
The Oto tribe signed an 1854 treaty relinquishing their territory west of the Missouri River except for a 250 square-mile reservation in the Blue River basin. This village and agency, near present-day Barneston, became the center of Oto culture in Nebraska. In 1881 the Oto moved to a permanent reservation in Oklahoma. The agency complex included the village proper, a sawmill, school, agency buildings, and one or more cemeteries. A sketch produced by agent Albert Green in 1870 shows the main village consisting of twenty-two earthlodges, five wigwams, several tipis, corn fields, and horse corrals. The Barneston Site is an exceptional example of an eastern Plains late historic Native American village.
Elijah Filley Stone Barn, pdf [GA00-001] Listed 1977/04/11
The Elijah Filley Stone Barn, built in 1874, was formerly a part of Elijah Filley's Cottage Hill Farm, established in 1867 when Filley and his wife, Emily, located near the town of Filley in Gage County. The three-story limestone structure is one of the most magnificent barns in the state. Important for its size and structural qualities, the barn is also an excellent example of a bank barn (a barn built into a hillside), a type whose use was compatible with the topography of southeastern Nebraska. Filley became a leading farmer and stock raiser. In 1924 he was inducted into the Nebraska Hall of Agricultural Achievement.
DeWitt Flour Mills and King Iron Bridge, pdf [GA00-002] Listed 19781227
The DeWitt Flour Mills and King Iron Bridge are located on the Big Blue River in Gage County near the town of DeWitt. The mill is a large, three-story frame building constructed partially on the foundations of an earlier mill. The main building dates from 1887 or 1888, with later additions in the early twentieth century. The bridge, which spans the river adjacent to the mill, was built in 1887 by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
Freeman Homestead and Freeman School, pdf (NHL) [GA00-004] Listed 1966/10/15
Located near Beatrice, most of the area within Homestead National Monument of America comprises the original homestead claim of Daniel Freeman in Gage County. The national monument also includes the Freeman School, constructed in 1872, and other buildings, sites, graves, and tree plantings. The Daniel Freeman Homestead was purportedly the first 160 acre claim entered and patented under the Homestead Act of 1862. Established by Congress in 1936, the Homestead National Monument is a memorial to pioneers who settled in the Plains. The property is administered by the National Park Service.
Mission Creek Bridge, pdf [GA00-043] Listed 1992/06/29
Constructed in 1898 near Barneston, the Mission Creek Bridge is technologically significant as one of the three oldest of thirty-two small, steel, rigid-connected Warren pony trusses of a type found only in Gage County. They are characterized by a relatively lightweight superstructure and a rare suspended U-bolt connection of the floor beams to the superstructure.
Bridge, pdf [GA00-044] Listed 1992/06/29
Constructed in 1898 near Wymore, this bridge, which crosses over Sicily Creek, is technologically significant as one of the three oldest of thirty-two small, steel, rigid-connected Warren pony trusses of a type found only in Gage County. They are characterized by a relatively lightweight superstructure and a rare suspended U-bolt connection of the floor beams to the superstructure.
Big Indian Creek Bridge, pdf [GA00-045] Listed 1992/06/29
Between 1897 and 1910, Gage County contracted for perhaps as many as two hundred of these standardized riveted Warren pony trusses. At the time of the bridge survey in 1990, thirty-two were still in existence. The sixty-foot span of the Big Indian Creek Bridge located near Wymore and constructed in 1903, is technologically significant as the longest of these survivors.
Bloody Run Bridge, pdf [GA00-046] Listed 1992/06/29
The Bloody Run Bridge, located near Virginia, Nebraska, is technologically significant as one of the oldest of thirty-two small, steel, rigid-connected Warren pony trusses of a type found only in Gage County. Constructed in 1898 the Bloody Run Bridge retains a high degree of integrity.
Hoyt Street Bridge, pdf [GA00-047] Listed 1992/06/29
This bridge was originally constructed at Blue Springs and was known as the "Blue Springs Bridge." The date of construction and contractor are unknown. The bridge is first mentioned in Book 1 of the Gage County Supervisors' Records in October 1874, when a contract was awarded to paint the structure. The tubular sections resemble the 1867 and 1872 patents issued to William Rezner of the Ohio Bridge Company. The bridge was moved to Hoyt Street near Beatrice in 1890. This bowstring through truss bridge is significant as an outstanding representative of an unusual structural type (one of six bowstring arch bridges identified in Nebraska).
Beatrice State Development Farm, pdf [GA00-397] Listed 1997/12/08
This institution was established in 1885 for the care of the developmentally disabled. The farm buildings represent a period of the institution's history when it was largely self-sufficient with the majority of dairy, meat, and produce raised and processed by residents and staff.
Farmers State Bank, pdf [GA01-003] Listed 1992/06/11
The Farmers State Bank building is located in Adams, Nebraska. Constructed with brick and block, it is a one-story building erected in 1908. It represents the characteristic type of building and location that distinguished banking during the era of its construction.
North 7th Street Historic District, pdf [GA03-] Listed 2010/03/10
The North 7th Street Historic District is an intact collection of late-19th and 20th Century Revival and American styles constructed between 1884 and 1950. Within a three block area are representative examples of the Colonial Revival, Gothic Revival, Tudor Revival, Craftsman, Prairie, Minimal Traditional and Contemporary Ranch style. Because the district remained consistently popular with affluent citizens over a long period, it now serves as an excellent timeline of residential architectural styles.
North 11th Street Historic District, pdf [GA03-] Listed 2010/03/10
Started by prominent Beatrice businessmen in the late 1800s, the North 11th Street Historic District includes some of the city's most elaborate Italianate and Queen Anne style homes. However, difficult economic times soon stifled development. When the economy recovered, architectural styles and community needs had changed. This is evident through the predominance of Craftsman style houses within the district that were originally build as rental property. This uneven development gives the district a unique mixture of historic architectural types and styles.
Gage County Courthouse, pdf [GA03-001] Listed 1990/01/10
Gage County, located in southeast Nebraska, was formally established in 1856 with Beatrice becoming the county seat the following year. Despite this early beginning a courthouse was still lacking as late as 1870. About this time the first courthouse was constructed and used until 1889. After voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new facility construction began in 1890. In 1892 the Richardsonian Romanesque style building opened its doors.
Beatrice Chautauqua Pavilion and Gate House, pdf [GA03-087] Listed 1979/04/09
The pavilion is located on the grounds of the Chautauqua Park in Beatrice. The Chautauqua, which operated annual summer assemblies during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, enlightened countless rural and small town residents of Nebraska. The Chautauqua sessions featured performances, discussions, lectures, and oratory, as well as lessons in fine art and domestic science. The 1889 pavilion is an impressive rectangular structure, and it is an engineering and architectural achievement of merit. The pavilion was originally open on all sides, but about 1915 the gabled section of the roof was extended on the east, and frame walls were built to serve as the extension's support.
Samuel Kilpatrick House, pdf [GA03-166] Listed 1984/12/20
The "Kilpatrick Mansion," located in Beatrice, is a two-and-one-half-story brick dwelling constructed in 1904-5 in the Renaissance Revival style. Samuel Davenport Kilpatrick was one of four brothers who established a railroad construction business, which built many rail lines in Nebraska, including Union Pacific and Burlington. The Kilpatrick brothers were also pioneers in developing ranches and farm lands in several states, including Nebraska and Idaho.
Christ Church Episcopal, pdf [GA03-211] Listed 1999/11/29
Christ Church Episcopal is located in Beatrice. It was built in 1889-90 in the Gothic Revival style. Additions were made to the church between 1914 and 1920. A rectory, which was built in 1951, contributes to the site.
Paddock Hotel, pdf [GA03-232] Listed 1987/11/30
The present five-story hotel building was constructed after a 1919 fire destroyed Beatrice's former Hotel Paddock. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style by architect Thomas Rogers Kimball, the hotel was pronounced a showplace when completed in 1924.
J. Schmuck Block, pdf [GA03-237] Listed 2008/07/02
Constructed in 1887 by John Schmuck, a German immigrant who found success as a shoemaker, the Schmuck Block is a wonderful example of the High Victorian Eclectic style. The façade of this three-story brick building displays a wealth of exuberant decoration inspired by a variety of architectural styles. A mansard roof (Second Empire), Gothic Arch, Romanesque Arch, and the patterned brick work and complex surfaces of Queen Anne are combined to create a façade that readily suggests the opulence of the Gilded Age in downtown Beatrice.
Beatrice City Library, pdf [GA03-244] Listed 1976/07/12
The Beatrice City Library, built in 1902-3, is an outstanding example of the Beaux-Arts style, designed by architect George A. Berlinghof. The establishment of a permanent library was due to the efforts of the Beatrice Literary Club, founded in 1890, which continued the earlier efforts of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. In 1902 the library board obtained a $20,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. A grand opening was held on January 1, 1904, to celebrate the new building's completion.
Burlington Northern Depot, pdf [GA03-247] Listed 1975/05/02
The Burlington Passenger Station, in Beatrice, was built in 1906 for the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad in the Neo-Classical Revival style. The building was constructed of Omaha pressed brick with Bedford stone trim at a cost of $35,000. On October 1, 1908, presidential candidate William Howard Taft stopped at the station to speak from his train to an estimated crowd of 12,000.
Beatrice Municipal Auditorium, pdf [GA03-272] Listed 2005/11/16
Constructed in 1939-1940, the Beatrice Municipal Auditorium is a two-story brick building. The auditorium is an excellent example of an Art Deco style public building that retains a high degree of historic integrity. It is also significant for its association with federal relief programs that sought to alleviate the economic hardships brought on by the Great Depression.
Rachel Kilpatrick Purdy House, pdf [GA03-361] Listed 2006/11/08
The Rachel Kilpatrick Purdy House is located in Beatrice. Constructed in 1915 this Prairie style house was designed by noted local architect Richard W. Grant. The two-story house, clad in stucco, has a hipped roof and dormer. This excellent example of a Prairie style house retains a high degree of integrity.
Marion and Ruth Anne Dole House [GA03-364] Listed 2010/12/10
After selling the largely successful Beatrice Steel Tank Company in 1959, Marion and Ruth Anne Dole were eager to build their dream home in Beatrice's Belvidere Neighborhood. To do so, the affluent couple secured the services of Selmer A. Solhiem, the architect who had recently designed the new Governor's Mansion in Lincoln. The Dole House is not only one of the largest and most elegantly designed Ranch House of any style in Beatrice, it is definitely its finest example of a Neo-Classical Revival Ranch.
First Commercial Bank, pdf [GA12-005] Listed 2007/11/15
Located in Odell, the First Commercial Bank was built in 1885 of coursed ashlar, and locally quarried limestone. A cornice of pressed metal crowns the top of the one-story building. The First Commercial Bank building is significant under Criterion A for activities important to the community's commerce and economy during Odell's earliest period of settlement, growth, and development. Under Criterion B, the property is significant for its association with James D. Myers, who was instrumental in the founding of the village of Odell. Through his banking business he contributed to the town's development during its first decade of the 1880s, the period of its greatest building and growth.
Lake Bridenthal House, pdf [GA15-003] Listed 1983/02/24
The Lake Bridenthal House is the most distinctive local example of the Queen Anne style. Built in 1900, the house demonstrates the style in transition, incorporating more contemporary Neo-Classical Revival elements in its original design. The porch, with columns of simplistic design common at the turn of the century, is prominent. Bridenthal was cashier for the First National Bank of Wymore and owner of Lake Bridenthal and Company, dealers in lumber and coal.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information