Grand Island FCC Monitoring Station, pdf [HL00-001] Listed 1973/01/16
Located near Grand Island, this was the first monitoring station constructed for the exclusive use of the Federal Radio Commission (later the Federal Communications Commission), authorized in an act approved February 23, 1927. The main station building was constructed from plans and specifications prepared by the U. S. Navy. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in October 1929.
Lincoln Highway-Grand Island Seedling Mile, pdf [HL06-696] Listed 4/24/2013
The Seedling Mile is one of three initial sections of the Lincoln Highway built in 1915 in Nebraska as part of the Lincoln Highway Association’s program to promote the construction of a paved transcontinental highway. It preserves early road construction techniques, and is the only known extant example left in the five states that constructed Seedling Miles.
William Stolley Homestead and Site of Fort Independence [HL00-026] Listed 1976/04/21
William Stolley was one of a small band of German immigrants who came to the central Platte Valley of Nebraska Territory in 1857. Stolley filed the first squatter's claim in the county. He helped organize School District 1 in Hall County and served as a director for many years. He also helped organize the State Grange and promoted tree planting. In 1927 the Nebraska Legislature designated the farmstead as Stolley State Park. The homestead, near present-day Grand Island, includes the William Stolley house, a one-and-one-half-story log dwelling constructed in 1858-59; the frame school building erected in 1869-70; and a reconstructed log house. The property also includes the site of Fort Independence, a fortification erected by citizens during the Indian war of 1864.
Shady Bend Gas Station, Grocery & Diner, pdf [HL00-033] Listed 2008/07/02
This property was developed by Horace "Doc" Woodward in 1931 to capitalize on the well-traveled Lincoln Highway. Shady Bend attempted to provide adequate services for travelers and included a gas station, a crossroads store, public restrooms, and at one time thirty-four cabins. The building is also a representative example of road-side architecture as a multi-faceted business that utilized a romantic architectural aesthetic, the Spanish Eclectic style.
Nine Bridges Bridge, pdf [HL00-039] Listed 1992/06/29
Early in 1911 citizens of Doniphan Township pledged $1,000 toward construction of a new bridge over the Platte River to replace an existing timber bridge that linked the area with Grand Island. In response, the county supervisors authorized the Nine Bridges Road north of Doniphan to serve the proposed crossing. The supervisors decided to constrict the river's channel width by some 340 feet and erect a three-span pony truss. Completed in 1913, the Nine Bridges Bridge carried mainline traffic until construction of a parallel span over the Platte on U.S. Highway 281/34. Sold to the adjacent landowner in the mid-1960s, the bridge is no longer open to traffic, but is maintained in essentially unaltered condition. It is historically significant as an important crossing of a major watercourse and technologically significant as the best example in the state of this mainstay structural type.
Townsley-Murdock Immigrant Trail Site, pdf [HL00-149] Listed 1998/03/05
The Townsley-Murdock Immigrant Trail Site, located near the town of Alda has Euroamerican and Native American components. The Euroamerican component comprises several surface and subsurface historic archeological features including trail ruts, dwellings, and a sawmill. The trail ruts have good integrity. Buried features such as structure floors, and cellars and outhouses represent migration and settlement from the 1850s to 1860s. The Native American component is likely to retain subsurface scatters of bone, broken ceramic vessels, stone tools, and hearth features. Based on current research there is a good possibility that this was a hunting ground campsite. The area has never been plowed and possesses a high degree of physical integrity.
Burlington Railroad Depot, Grand Island, pdf [HL06-268] Listed 2014-12-02
Grand Island’s last remaining original depot, the Burlington Railroad Depot was constructed in 1911 and replaced an earlier wooden depot located nearby. The depot is of a unique design that combines architectural elements from across the Burlington system into one station.
Hall County Courthouse, pdf [HL06-001] Listed 1977/09/15
Designed by architect Thomas Rogers Kimball, the Hall County Courthouse, located in Grand Island, is an outstanding example of the Beaux-Arts style, one of the few examples of the style in Nebraska. The building has served county government in Hall County since its completion in 1904.
Grand Island Carnegie Library, pdf [HL06-002] Listed 1975/05/02
In February 1902 the library board and the city council of Grand Island proposed a new public library. In April a $20,000 grant was obtained from Andrew Carnegie. Designed by the architectural firm of Tyler and Son of Lincoln, Nebraska, the library is a notable example of the Neo-Classical Revival style.
Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pdf [HL06-004] Listed 1982/07/15
St. Mary's Cathedral, in Grand Island, is one of the finest Late Gothic Revival churches in the state, constructed in 1926-28 to the designs of architects Henry W. Brinkman and J. Stanley Hagan of Emporia, Kansas. The interior of the large sandstone church features a Gothic detailed main altar of white Italian marble.
Liederkranz, pdf [HL06-008] Listed 1978/11/30
In 1870 German settlers met to organize a German singing society or "Liederkranz" to provide musical and social entertainment and to cultivate the members' musical talents. The brick building, constructed in 1911-12, was designed by architect Oscar Kirche, a Liederkranz member, and reflects influences of the Neo-Classical Revival style. The hall, located in Grand Island, has long been a community meeting place, an auditorium for civic activities, and a polling place. This organization is the only known Liederkranz in Nebraska.
Evangelische Lutherische Dreinenigkeit Kirche, pdf (Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church) [HL06-009] Listed 1986/12/04
Plans for the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, in Grand Island, were adopted in 1890, but construction did not begin until 1894. Brothers William and Jacob Scheffel, members of the congregation, were the primary builders. Born in Sulzfeld, Germany, the brothers learned the trade of masonry and stonecutting there. The church, the key building in the complex, is an excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style and is one of Nebraska's outstanding examples of small town stone church architecture. Trinity Church reflects subtle influences of German church architecture, primarily evident in its form, the cross shape, a favorite style among Germans. The complex also includes a frame school and parsonage.
Hotel Yancey, pdf [HL06-014] Listed 1984/12/13
Named for its proprietor, William L. Yancey, the hotel was begun in April 1917, financed by the Bankers Realty Investment Company of Omaha, Nebraska, for the North American Hotel Company. The company was building a chain of hotels in Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas towns, accessible to the railroad depots and business districts. This "chain concept" permitted a standardization of service, bulk purchase of supplies, quantity discounts, and lower costs to the consumer. From its opening in 1923, the Yancey was the center of social and political activity for Grand Island. An early twentieth century high-rise structure, the Yancey illustrates the Renaissance Revival style. Due to the development of motels, a decline in railroad trade, and the building of shopping malls away from the downtown business district, the hotel closed in December 1982.
Grand Island United States Post Office and Courthouse, pdf [HL06-018] Listed 2006/02/14
This federally owned building in Grand Island had two construction phases. The original building was constructed in 1908-1910. Grand Island's continued growth necessitated construction of an addition that occurred between 1933 and 1935. The Grand Island U.S. Post Office and Courthouse has served the community as a U.S. Post Office, Courthouse, and other government offices from the time of its opening to the present. This building is a symbol of the community's development and is a landmark in the downtown commercial district.
Hamilton-Donald House, pdf [HL06-049] Listed 1986/03/13
The house was constructed by Henry Falldorf in 1905 for Ellsworth D. Hamilton, cashier of the Commercial State Bank of Grand Island. In 1908 Hamilton sold the property to John Donald, one of the two brothers who established the Donald Company (see Glade-Donald House). The house is an outstanding example of the Neo-Classical Revival style and incorporates a full height portico in its design.
Mrs. H. J. Bartenbach House, pdf [HL06-052] Listed 1986/12/08
Located in Grand Island, the house is a distinct and significant example of a Nebraska dwelling designed in the Moderne style of the 1930s, a style never widely popular in the state. The original house, a one-story Victorian dwelling constructed in 1893 for H. J. Bartenbach, was redesigned by local architect Gordon Shattuck in 1937-38 for Mrs. Bartenbach, giving the house its present appearance. Distinctive interior spaces include the open stairway and landing area, which features a newell post and balustrade of Modernistic design utilizing chromed rods and railings.
Roeser-Gartner House, pdf [HL06-059] Listed 1982/06/25
The Oscar Roeser House was built in 1908 by Henry H. Falldorf following the plans of architect Thomas Rogers Kimball. It is a unique example of German-American architecture executed in the Neo-Classical Revival style. Roeser was a prominent Grand Island businessman and civic leader.
Glade-Donald House, pdf [HL06-076] Listed 1985/09/12
The Glade-Donald House is a distinctive example of the Shingle style. The house is completely sheathed with wooden shingles, and incorporates many bay and oriel windows, including two prominent bow windows on the front facade. The house was built about 1905 by Henry Glade and remodeled by Lawrence Donald in 1918 and by John Donald in 1934. Russell Rohrer of Hastings was the decorator in the 1934 remodeling and created a very formalized and rich interior, with velvets, elaborate wallpapers, chandeliers, and other imported goods. All three owners were prominent businessmen in Grand Island. Glade was the founder of the Henry Glade Milling Company, and brothers Lawrence and John Donald established the Donald Company, a leading dry goods and grocery firm that served Nebraska and surrounding states for over fifty years. The property also includes a garage/servants' residence built in 1923, which originally provided quarters for the butler and his wife.
Andrew M. Hargis House, pdf [HL06-087] Listed 1978/06/09
Built in 1898 the Andrew M. Hargis House is a fine example of the Queen Anne style and also incorporates Neo-Classical Revival detailing in its design. Hargis founded the Grand Island Business and Normal College in 1885. The house has been owned by the Grand Island Woman's Club since 1953.
Grand Island Senior High School, pdf (Walnut School) [HL06-126] Listed 1999/11/22
The Grand Island Senior High School is important for its contribution to educational development during significant periods of growth in this community. Constructed in 1924-25 as a senior high school, it served that purpose until the fall of 1955 when it became Walnut Junior High School.
Lee Huff Apartment Complex, pdf [HL06-164] Listed 1994/07/01
Located in Grand Island, the Lee Huff Apartment Complex is an excellent example of a multiple-dwelling complex that incorporates both an apartment building (constructed in 1928) and two flats (constructed in 1920-21). Apartment buildings and flats were popular forms of multi-family housing during the early twentieth century. These apartments/flats were ubiquitous property types in large urban centers such as Omaha (pop. 191,600 - 1920 and 214,000 - 1930), but rare for a community the size of Grand Island (pop. 14,000 - 1920 and 18,000 - 1930) in the 1920s.
Heinrich Giese House, pdf [HL06-705] Listed 2006/07/26
Located in Grand Island the Giese House had several stages of construction from 1863 to 1877. This gabled-ell residence is a T-shaped, one-and-one-half-story log, adobe, and frame structure with a cross-gabled roof. The Heinrich Giese House is significant as an artifact of Nebraska's settlement era.
Gloe Brothers Service Station, pdf [HL08-066] Listed 2000/07/05
Located in Wood River, the Gloe Brothers Service Station opened in 1933. It is significant for its association with transportation and the development of the Lincoln Highway. The Gloe Brothers Service Station was conceived and built in conjunction with an important period of highway development that saw the Lincoln Highway become a truly modern road.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information