Alma Auditorium and Sale Barn, pdf #1 #2[HN01-102] Listed 2014/07/11
The Alma auditorium and Sale Barn is a multipurpose community building constructed 1922-23 that replaced an earlier opera house (lost due to fire) and which was funded by public subscription. The building consists of a large auditorium with mezzanine seating that hosted a variety of community events including dances, plays, and basketball games, and an adjoining sale barn that later served as a meat locker and currently functions as a thrift store.
Sappa Creek Bridge, pdf [HN00-052] Listed 1992/06/29
A builder's plate mounted on the west web notes that the bridge was built by the Milwaukee Bridge Company in 1916. Unfortunately, the Harlan County Commissioners' records for 1916 do not refer to this bridge or the Milwaukee Bridge Company, suggesting that it was purchased from outside the county and later moved to its present location near Stamford. Harlan County's wide variety of bridge types also seems to suggest that this and several other bridges were purchased and moved from other locations. With its upper chords, end posts, and virtually all of the other web members comprising steel angles, the truss is atypically configured among Nebraska's secondary road spans. Numerous such "2-angle" trusses remain in use in Missouri, and a few are in place in Iowa, but in Nebraska this Pratt subtype is extremely rare. The Sappa Creek Bridge is thus technologically noteworthy as a singular example in Nebraska of an unusual structural configuration.
Prairie Dog Creek Bridge, pdf [HN00-053] Listed 1992/06/29
In June 1913 the county board ordered that an eighty-foot span be built over Prairie Dog Creek in Eldorado Township. Construction was conditional on whether an east-west road was opened just below Prairie Dog Creek. The road (which is still in use) was apparently opened shortly thereafter, and the Prairie Dog Creek Bridge was then subsequently constructed. Consisting of a single, rigid-connected Camelback pony truss, the bridge has carried vehicular traffic since in essentially unaltered condition. As the earliest of some twenty Camelback pony trusses found in the statewide inventory, it is technologically significant as a well preserved example of this Pratt truss subtype.
Turkey Creek Bridge, pdf [HN00-054] Listed 1992/06/29
No exact references have been found to determine who built the bridge or when. The truss leg bedstead, however, was reportedly first used in Nebraska sometime around 1896, remaining popular until the early 1900s. In September 1899 the County Commissioners ordered that an iron or steel bridge be constructed over the creek near Ragan. The contact was awarded to the Canton Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, on September 5, 1899. Constituted of steel components, this bedstead is very likely that structure. Its legs have been partially encased in concrete, but the structure remains otherwise intact. The Turkey Creek Bridge is technologically significant as one of the few intact bedsteads remaining in the state.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information