Massacre Canyon Battlefield and Woodland Site [25-HK-13] Listed 1974/07/25
This narrow canyon feeding into the Republican River valley was the location of the final inter-tribal battle in Nebraska and includes, as well, the remains of an important prehistoric archeological site. On the annual summer bison hunt to the Republican valley in early August 1873, the Pawnee established a camp near present-day Trenton. On August 5 the Pawnee broke camp, traveled down river several miles, and then turned north up Massacre Canyon. During the bison hunt the Pawnee were attacked by over 1,000 Brule and Oglala Sioux warriors. Between 70 and 100 Pawnee were killed or wounded compared to only six Sioux casualties. The Massacre Canyon incident was the final communal bison hunt for the Pawnee, and within three years the entire tribe moved to a permanent reservation in Oklahoma.
The archeological site is a notable example of the Woodland Tradition, which flourished along the Republican and its tributaries from approximately A.D. 500- 1000. The site appears to be the remains of a small village containing hearths, storage or refuse pits, and a burial area.
St. Paul's Methodist Protestant Church, pdf [HK00-001] Listed 1979/01/25
The Methodist Protestant congregation was organized in June 1892. The congregation used a sod building until 1900, when the present stone structure, near Culbertson, was completed and dedicated during the pastoral term of the Reverend J. E. Darby. In 1904 the St. Paul Methodist Protestant Church merged with the United Brethren in Christ, and in February 1907, the group was organized as a United Brethren congregation. Regular church services were discontinued in 1951. In 1975 the Stone Church Community Association was formed to restore and preserve the building as a memorial to area pioneers.
Bridge, pdf [HK00-078] Listed 1992/06/29
Located along a county road (old U.S. Highway 34), between Stratton and the western shore of Swanson Reservoir, this bridge crosses an unnamed stream just south of modern U.S. Highway 34. The structure is a twenty-foot, single-span concrete slab. As indicated by an inscription sandblasted into the slab's spandrel, the bridge was constructed in 1908 by the Ideal Cement Company. Later incorporated into U.S. Highway 34, the bridge carried relatively heavy interstate traffic until the highway was rerouted further north. It now carries intermittent local traffic in unaltered condition. This small-scale bridge represents an early, county-level effort at highway building in Nebraska. Its 1908 construction date distinguishes it as the earliest documented example of concrete bridge construction in the state.
Weyl Service Station, pdf [HK05-040] Listed 2002/07/11
Located in Trenton the service station was constructed in 1921. The Weyl Service Station reflects the evolution of the gasoline station as the automobile gained dominance and the corresponding market for petroleum products grew. The design, form, and function of this filling station reflect the important marketing trends of the American gasoline station during the period when most gasoline was distributed from curbside pumps, a secondary service to those already offered. Borrowing many design influences from residential construction of the time, this small filling station looked tidy and neat, unlike the earlier curbside services of the community.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information