Fort McPherson [LN00-013] Listed 2012/03/07
Located near Maxwell, Fort McPherson National Cemetery is significant for its association with the development of post-Civil War-era national cemeteries and U.S. military activities during the Indian Wars. Created in 1873, Fort McPherson National Cemetery served as the final resting place for Union soldiers, and Native Americans and U.S. Army personnel who died during the Indian Wars.
Scout's Rest Ranch, pdf [LN00-012] Listed 1978/01/30
"Scout's Rest" was the home of William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, the premier showman whose Wild West shows embodied the legend of the American West. Located near North Platte, ranch buildings include the 1886 French Second Empire house, a one-and-one-half-story frame dwelling that features a prominent tower; the late 1880s barn; a cobhouse; icehouse; and a wine cellar. Sixty-five acres of the original four-thousand-acre ranch have been preserved as Buffalo Bill Ranch State Historical Park by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
O'Fallon's Bluff [LN00-028] Listed 1974/07/12
O'Fallon's Bluff is a section of hills located along the South Platte River near Sutherland. Because the bluffs come very close to the river, early travelers were forced to traverse the bluffs above the bottom land. Some of the most clearly defined and well preserved remnants of the Oregon-California Trail remain here as evidence of the great westward migration of the mid-nineteenth century.
Sutherland State Aid Bridge, pdf [LN00-032] Listed 1992/06/29
Located near the town of Sutherland the significance of this bridge to the history of Nebraska bridge building can hardly be overstated. This remarkable structure is significant as perhaps the best remaining example of the state aid bridges. Although some seventy-seven structures were built throughout the state under this program between 1912 and 1936, only seventeen remain in use. The Sutherland Bridge is also technologically significant as the best example in the state of concrete arch construction. Moreover, of the seventeen multiple-span concrete arch bridges built under the state aid program in the 1910s and 1920s, all but the Sutherland Bridge have been destroyed or substantially altered, leaving this structure as the sole intact example of this important construction trend.
North Platte Post Office & Federal Building, pdf [LN06-038] Listed 2009/03/04
Funding for this building was appropriated by Congress in 1908, and construction was completed in 1913. Architecturally, it is a fine and relatively rare example of the Renaissance Revival architectural style. Character-defining features of the style include wide overhanging eaves supported by brackets, clay tile covering the roof and impressive second story pilasters. The North Platte Post Office and Federal Building also represents an important period of growth and prosperity in North Platte that brought about a federal presence in the city.
Fox Theater, pdf [LN06-044] Listed 1985/05/09
Located in North Platte, the Fox Theater is a fine example of the "Picture Palace," a building type popular in America in the 1920s. A product of Eclecticism, the theater incorporates decorative features from various architectural styles, including Egyptian, Georgian, Moorish, and Roman. Keith Neville and Alex Beck of the North Platte Realty Company financed and erected the theater in 1929. Neville, governor of Nebraska 1917-19, also financed construction of the Hotel Yancey located across the street from the Fox Theater. Both buildings were designed by Omaha architect Frederick A. Henninger. The Fox Theater opened on November 24,1929. It is named for William Fox, a pioneer in the movie industry of America.
Hotel Yancey, pdf (Hotel Pawnee) [LN06-045] Listed 1985/05/09
The hotel is named for William L. Yancey, who became its proprietor after signing a lease with Keith Neville and Alex Beck in 1928. Construction began in March 1929, and the North Platte hotel opened in October. Yancey, who had been engaged in the hotel business since he was a teen-ager, also had interests in Grand Island's Yancey Hotel (see separate summary). The six-story steel and brick building, later known as the Hotel Pawnee, was designed in the Georgian Revival style. The interior is remarkably intact and features a lobby and mezzanine of eclectic design.
Lincoln County Courthouse, pdf [LN 06-063] Listed 1990/01/10
Lincoln County was re-organized in 1866 out of an earlier county established in 1860. North Platte was named county seat in 1867. The first courthouse was completed in 1876. By the early twentieth century, county residents were prepared to replace the aging brick facility with a more substantial edifice. In an election held in July 1919, county residents approved a special tax to fund a new courthouse. Construction began in 1921. Because of financial problems the new Beaux Arts-style building was not completed until 1924.
Johnston Memorial Building, pdf [LN09-002] Listed 1986/03/20
The hall was built in 1921 as a memorial to John R. Johnston, a resident of Pennsylvania who was prominent in the glass industry. Johnston came to Wallace annually for twenty-four years to hunt and fish. His family and friends built the hall as a memorial after Johnston died of tuberculosis in 1920 at the age of fifty-three. The hall was designed by F. W. Fitzpatrick, a nationally known architect.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information