Table Rock Archeological Site [25-PW-01] Listed 1974/07/12
The Table Rock Site, located near the town of Table Rock, is one of only a few documented late prehistoric earthlodge villages in the Nemaha basin. Artifacts recovered at the site reflect influences from Central Plains Tradition (A.D.900-1450) culture.
Farwell Archeological District [PW00] Listed 1997/03/04
This district comprises several sites dating from approximately 2500 B.C. to 1400 A.D. The three earliest sites contain much information regarding human adaptation during the Middle and Late Archaic and early Plains Woodland periods. With the inclusion of two additional sites in the district, the Farwell Archeological District has the potential to contain comparative data on the settlement patterns and economic patterns over a period of four millennia in a major river valley in southeastern Nebraska. Discrete concentrations of sites of this temporal range are rare to nonexistent in Nebraska.
Z.C.B.J. Hall, pdf [PW00-050] Listed 1990/04/05
Constructed in 1920-21, the Z.C.B.J. Hall near DuBois is a large, single-story brick and tile structure, rectangular in plan, with a modestly-elaborate front gable facade executed in the Czech-American National Baroque Revival style. Exterior walls are plastered with exposed decorative colored-glass aggregate. The interior consists of a large open hall directed toward a stage with proscenium arch, with a kitchen, cloak room, and ticket office located beneath the rear balcony.
Harold Lloyd Birthplace, pdf [PW02-036] Listed 1993/12/22
The Harold Lloyd Birthplace is located in Burchard. The one-story, frame vernacular-style house is the birthplace of Harold Lloyd, a nationally known silent film star and producer. Lloyd was born in the house in 1893 and lived there until his family moved in 1897.
Pawnee City Historic Business District, pdf [PW06] Listed 1994/02/25
The physical form of this six-block commercial district is an excellent example of the influence of transportation routes that were historically strong enough to pull development away from the traditional courthouse square. As a result, the commercial district does not entirely surround the square. This is a condition that is somewhat unusual in county seats with courthouse squares in Nebraska.
E. F. Hempstead House, pdf [PW06-001] Listed 1982/10/19
Located in Pawnee City, the large frame dwelling is a good example of the Queen Anne style. Known as the "Hempstead Mansion," the house was built in 1887-88 by E. F. Hempstead, who came to Nebraska from Illinois in 1886. Hempstead was a businessman, founder of the Pawnee Electric Light Company, and owner and president of the Nebraska State Bank.
Pawnee County Courthouse, pdf [PW06-054] Listed 1990/01/10
With its location near the Missouri River, an important early transportation link, Pawnee was among the first counties in the state, having been organized in 1856. After two elections in 1856, Pawnee City, which at the time was an area identified only by its township and range legal description, was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was not built until 1869. By the turn of the century, county residents were prepared to replace the aging and poorly constructed stone building with a more substantial structure. In 1910 voters approved a bond issue to finance a new courthouse. The Classical Revival-style building was completed in 1911.
Pawnee City Carnegie Library [PW06-070] Listed 2010/12/10
With the construction of the Carnegie Library in 1908, Pawnee City was able to meet the need for a permanent library building in the community. Prior to the construction of the library, a reading room was housed above the National Bank. The construction of the library represented the emergence of community activism by women, for in 1904, the Ladies Library Association began the drive to fund the library, which included many fundraisers and a letter to Carnegie requesting a grant. Additionally, with its Classical Revival style, the Pawnee City Carnegie Library is significant as one of the last libraries built before restrictions were placed on the architectural design of Carnegie libraries.
Pawnee City United States Post Office, pdf [PW06-117] Listed 1992/05/11
The Pawnee City United States Post Office is a one-story, brick Colonial Revival-style building constructed in 1940-41. While the building retains a high degree of integrity, its historical significance derives from the mural painted on an interior wall.
Through New Deal programs such as the Public Works of Art Project and the WPA Federal Art Project, thousands of artists were employed. In 1934 the Section Of Painting and Sculpture (renamed the Section of Fine Arts in 1938) was organized under the auspices of the Treasury Department to provide murals and sculpture for the many federal buildings constructed during the New Deal era.
Between 1938 and 1942 the Treasury Department's Section of Fine Arts (generally known as "the Section") commission twelve murals for twelve newly constructed post offices in Nebraska. Pawnee City, along with the other eleven post office murals in Nebraska represent the Section's goal of making art accessible to the general population by reserving one percent of new building construction budgets for art.
Steinauer Opera House, pdf [PW07-008] Listed 1988/07/07
The Steinauer Opera House occupies the upper story of the Bank of Steinauer, a two-story brick building constructed in 1888 by town founder Joseph Steinauer. The small opera house has a pressed tin ceiling, and the walls are covered with both pressed tin and wooden wainscoting. A vintage scenery curtain still hangs in the stage area.
Table Rock Public Square Historic District, pdf [PW08] Listed 1994/07/07
The development of Table Rock during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries is typical of communities in southeast Nebraska. During the nineteenth century, Table Rock suffered through floods, failed to win the county seat, was bolstered by the arrival of the railroad, flourished during the prosperity of the eighties, and suffered again during the depression of the nineties. The town boomed again during the early twentieth century, then experienced a disastrous fire and declined as the century progressed. In the planning of its public square, however, Table Rock is atypical. The large expanse of green space framed by unusually wide streets and surrounded by a mix of commercial and residential buildings is unique for a town its size in southeastern Nebraska.
Table Rock Opera House, pdf [PW08-017] Listed 1988/09/28
Constructed in 1893 by local merchant G. R. Martin, the brick commercial building housed retail establishments on the first level and the opera house on the second floor. Two complete operational sets of original stage scenery remain.
Lindsley House, pdf [PW08-037] Listed 1999/03/25
The Lindsley House, located in Table Rock, is significant in the area of commerce. The two-story limestone building was constructed in 1872 and served as a hotel until 1897. The former hotel is the community's oldest extant commercial building.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information