Hanna Larson Archeological Site [25-PT-01] Listed 1975/02/20
Sometime between A.D. 1600 and 1750 ancestors of the Pawnee, probably the Skidi band, built this large village on the terraces and hills above Looking Glass Creek near Monroe.
Feye Archeological Site [25-PT-09] Listed 1974/01/21
The Feye Site, located near Creston, has yielded evidence of a prehistoric occupation attributable to the Late Woodland Tradition (A.D. 500-1000). Unlike many sites of similar age, such as the Wurdeman-Lawson Site, Feye did not yield evidence of houses. The inventory of food refuse differs, and Feye may be an example of an occupation representing a season or function different from other contemporaneous sites.
Wurdeman-Lawson Archeological Site [25-PT-12] Listed 1974/07/12
The Wurdeman-Lawson Site is a prehistoric village of the Late Woodland Tradition (about A.D. 500-1000) situated on a terrace above Loseke Creek near Creston. The dwellings were likely small thatch or hide-covered structures. Excavations retrieved animal bones, charred corn kernels, and material goods. The site is important for the scientific study of the origins of agriculture in northeast Nebraska.
Hill-Rupp Site [25-PT-13] Listed 1985/09/30
Located near the present-day town of Monroe, the Hill-Rupp Site was a late prehistoric Indian village occupied sometime during the period A.D. 1600-1750, probably by the Skidi band of the Pawnee. Excavations have focused on two circular earthlodge ruins, two trash disposal areas, nine storage pits, and one burial. In addition to a rich sample of native-made artifacts, archeologists recovered a small quantity of Euro-American manufactured items.
Monroe Congregational Church and New Hope Cemetery, pdf [PT00-033] Listed 1990/11/28
The Monroe Congregational Church was organized on April 30, 1869. The church held meetings and services for several years at what is known as the Monroe School house as well as other sites. On June 11, 1881, the Monroe Congregational members voted to construct a church. The building, located near the town of Monroe, was completed the same year. In 1882 the congregation formed an association to establish the cemetery.
First Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church and Cemetery, pdf [PT00-048] Listed 1999/06/25
The First Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church and Cemetery, located near Monroe, is significant for its long association with the Welsh settlement in Platte County. Since its construction in 1884 it has been in continuous use as a gathering place for church and community services.
Columbus Loup River Bridge, pdf [PT00-068] Listed 1992/06/29
Built in 1932-33, the Columbus Loup River Bridge is historically significant to the development of Nebraska transportation as a major mid-state river crossing. With an overall length of 1,270 feet, it is today distinguished as the longest vehicular truss bridge in the state, aside from the Missouri River bridges.
Columbus Izaak Walton League Lodge, pdf [PT00-262] Listed 2001/11/29
The lodge, located south of Columbus, was constructed in 1938. It is significant for its association with the Izaak Walton League of America and the fulfillment of its espoused conservation mission. From its inception, the Columbus "Ike" chapter actively pursued the stocking of fish and raising of wild game birds. Additionally, the chapter took a strong interest in enforcing state hunting laws and promoting innovative legislation dealing with wildlife, water, and habitat conservation.
Lincoln Highway-Gardiner Station, pdf [PT00-279] Listed 2007/07/03
The Lincoln Highway at Gardiner Station in Platte County was used as a postal road that accommodated Rural Free Delivery mail service. It was incorporated into the route of the Lincoln Highway in 1913, one of three sections of road in Platte County that followed the Union Pacific right-of-way. This section of road retains excellent integrity and can still be driven.
Lincoln Highway-Duncan West, pdf [PT00-280] Listed 2007/07/03
The Lincoln Highway was to be a paved, toll free, cross-country highway. The Lincoln Highway Association and national and community supporters propelled the highway into national significance as the nation's first transcontinental automobile route. As the highway progressed from a road first mapped by the Lincoln Highway Association to a well traveled, cross-country highway, improvements were made. The Lincoln Highway at Duncan West, in Platte County, is an exemplary section of road that exhibits the development of the highway from the original route of the Lincoln Highway, mapped in 1913 to the period when routes began to be relocated to eliminate railroad grade crossings and bypass communities.
Columbus Commercial Historic District, pdf [PT01] Listed 1996/11/21
The Columbus Commercial Historic District is significant for its association with the commercial development of the city of Columbus and Platte County. Established in 1856 along a well-known trail route, Columbus' history is entrenched in its position as a regional trade center along the Platte River in east-central Nebraska. It is also significant for its grouping of buildings representing an array of architectural styles and forms indicative of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Significant expansion and construction in the historic district took place between the years of 1910 and 1919.
Platte County Courthouse, pdf [PT01-001] Listed 1990/01/10
With its location along the important transportation route, the Platte River, the county was among the early settlement areas in the state. In 1855 it was created out of adjacent Dodge County. Columbus was promptly selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1868-70. By the early twentieth century, county residents wanted to replace the old courthouse. To achieve this goal county residents passed a bond issue for the new building. After a number of delays construction began on the new courthouse in 1920. The new Classical Revival-style courthouse was completed in 1922.
Glur's Tavern (Bucher Saloon), pdf [PT01-002] Listed 1975/07/30
The two-story frame tavern was built about 1876 as the Bucher Saloon. Joseph and William Bucher, brothers whose family emigrated to Columbus in 1868 from Switzerland, were the proprietors. The property was later purchased by Louis Glur, who was hired as an assistant to the Buchers in 1914. The tavern is the oldest establishment of its type in continuous use in Nebraska.
C. Segelke Building, pdf [PT01-077] Listed 1982/06/25
The C. Segelke Building is a good example of the commercial Italianate style. The brick structure was built by Charles Segelke in 1887 as the Columbus Bottling Works and served in later years as the Columbus Coca-Cola Bottling Company. Charles Segelke was born in Germany in 1848 and came to the United States in 1870. He and his three brothers played an important role in establishing bottling companies in eastern Nebraska.
Evans House, pdf [PT01-134] Listed 199103/14
The Dr. Carroll Dandola and Lorena R. Evans House was constructed in 1908-11. It features elements of the Renaissance, Greek, Colonial, and Spanish Revival styles, artistically combined into a twenty-eight-room mansion. The home consists of over 17,000 square feet of living space.
H. E. Snyder House, pdf [PT01-170] Listed 1986/07/10
Located in Columbus, the Snyder House is a well-preserved product of twentieth century Period Revivals, commonly known as "Period houses." The house displays design characteristics found in French Country houses, incorporating irregular massing, steeply pitched rooflines, half timbering, and casement sash windows. The twostory brick dwelling was built in 1929 by George Johansen, following the plans of Omaha architect Edward J. Sessinghaus.
Frederick L. and L. Rederick Gottschalk Houses, pdf [PT01-177] Listed 1982/06/25
The log house, built in 1857, is a one-and-one-half-story structure constructed by Frederick L. Gottschalk. In 1911 L. Frederick Gottschalk, son of Frederick, built a larger, more commodious house. Designed by architect Charles Wurdeman, the house is a large two-story frame dwelling, monumental in character and distinguished by its classical treatment. Frederick L. Gottschalk, a native of Germany, was one of thirteen original members of the Columbus Town Company, which founded the town of Columbus in May 1856. The company played an important role in the location of claims and in the protection of property rights for early Columbus settlers. L. Frederick Gottschalk, long-time Platte County surveyor, was noted for his work in Columbus and for the Loup River Public Power District canal.
Albert and Lina Stenger House, pdf [PT01-397] Listed 2007/12/27
This large Columbus residence was constructed in 1907 and is an impressive example of the Prairie architectural style that goes beyond the more common American Foursquare. Wide overhanging eaves and an attached port de cochere and balcony create a horizontal emphasis which evokes the prairies of the Midwest. In the well-appointed interior of the residence, an ionic fluted colonnade divides the library from the main foyer displaying a classical influence, while the comparatively unadorned remaining woodwork, including the main stair and boxed beams, evoke the Arts and Crafts movement.
Walter and Ruby Behlen House, pdf [PT01-538] Listed 2003/03/11
Constructed in 1958 the Behlen House is located in Columbus. The 8,500 square foot residence is an irregularly shaped one-story steel building with a corrugated metal roof. It has a concrete slab foundation and encorporates corrugated steel load-bearing walls fabricated at the Behlen Manufacturing Company. The house was built as a showcase for the potential uses of industrial materials for domestic purposes.
Humphrey City Hall, pdf [PT05-022] Listed 1996/06/21
The Humphrey City Hall is a two-story, brick, Renaissance Revival-style combination city-fire hall that was constructed in 1902. The building was designed to house the fire department, city offices, and meeting space.
St. Michael's Catholic Church Complex, pdf [PT12-001] Listed 1990/11/28
Constructed between 1880 and 1927 the St. Michael's Church Complex is a well-preserved rural church complex containing a full compliment of ecclesiastical architecture. Stylistically, the church and its associated buildings are important for their local interpretations of the Gothic Revival-style. St. Michael's Church provided the spiritual, social, and cultural base of a group of Polish immigrants settling in Platte County beginning in the late nineteenth century.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information