Kurz Omaha Village Site [25-SY-14] Listed 1973/08/14
On a journey up the Missouri River in 1851, Swiss artist Rudolph Frederick Kurz visited the Omaha Indians at this village above Papillion Creek, near present-day Papillion. The Omaha, who referred to the site as "Hill-Rising-From-A-Plain," established the community about 1846 and resided there continuously until they were removed to their present northeast Nebraska reservation in 1855. The village also was occupied by a prehistoric group (A.D. 1100-1450) unrelated to the historic Omaha. Kurz's lively journal and vivid illustrations provide the most detailed image of a prereservation Indian village in Nebraska. Kurz describes both earthlodges and skin tipis at the site along with a fortification ditch, meat curing racks, and a large corral.
Peter A. Sarpy Trading Post Site [25-SY-27] Listed 1975/06/10
Lucien Fontenelle probably constructed this post in 1832 and sold it to Peter A. Sarpy in 1840. Sarpy operated a trading house at the site, near Bellevue, until 1862, when he relocated to Plattsmouth. After about 1850 the post helped meet the needs of gold seekers and overland emigrants. It was also the location of the first Masonic lodge in Nebraska Territory, organized in 1855. Sarpy was born in St. Louis in 1805 and was employed by the American Fur Company in the Upper Missouri country as early as 1823. His commercial involvement in the area was responsible in part for the establishment of Bellevue and other local communities. Sarpy died in Plattsmouth in 1865.
Patterson Site [25SY31] Listed 2007/3/22
Located in Sarpy County this archeological site is significant for its potential to yield information pertaining to the Central Plains tradition (ca. A.D. 1000 to ca. A.D. 1400) in Nebraska. Anticipated research values involve artifactual, ecofactual, and architectural data significant with respect to property types associated with long-term settlement including individual lodges and multiple lodge clusters. The site also has significance with respect to properties associated with specialized, temporary, or seasonal activities with the apparent presence of lithic workshop activities and the likely occurrence of nearby lithic procurement areas.
Moses Merrill Mission and Oto Indian Village Site [SY00-001] Listed 1972/03/16
In 1835, following several years of fruitful work at Bellevue, the Reverend Moses Merrill and his wife, Eliza, decided to establish a permanent mission and school in Oto country near Zwiebel Creek. Merrill encouraged the Oto to move from their long-occupied village near Yutan to his mission. Although Merrill made substantial progress in converting the Oto to Christianity, he was plagued by liquor merchants and unsavory government officials influencing Oto opinion of white intentions. Merrill died suddenly in 1840, and soon afterwards the Oto moved to a new village.
John Sautter Farmhouse, pdf [SY00-011] Listed 1980/09/30
The John Sautter Farmhouse is a distinctly German structure. The dwelling, of nogged-frame construction, was built in the late 1860s by John Sautter, Sr., a native of Wurttemberg, Germany. Sautter operated a grist mill for a number of years and served as one of the founders of the First Lutheran Church of Papillion. The Sautter House stood originally on a farm located just north of the present city limits of Papillion. In the 1970s housing developments destroyed the original farm setting. The house was saved from demolition in 1979 by the Papillion Area Historical Society, which moved it to the city park.
Zwiebel Farmstead, pdf [SY00-041] Listed 2000/11/30
George Zwiebel established his farmstead in 1860 near present-day Papillion. Initially the Zwiebel family lived in a log house (non-extant). In 1867, however, they abandoned this structure to move into a new limestone house. Other buildings were added in subsequent years. As a whole the farmstead is an excellent example of a mid-to-late nineteenth-century farmstead that retains a high degree of integrity.
Linoma Beach, pdf [SY00-113] Listed 2003/03/11
Linoma Beach is located on the north bank of the Platte River in Sarpy County. Developed around a man-made lake, Linoma Beach, which opened in 1924, is significant as an automobile-related recreational site. Along with the water-related activities, Linoma Beach is distinguished by a one-hundred-foot lighthouse. Constructed in 1939, the lighthouse is a readily identifiable roadside landmark.
Big Papillion Creek Bridge, pdf (SY00-189) Listed
Fontenelle Forest Historic District, pdf [SY02] Listed 1974/01/21
Fontenelle Forest is a private, 1,500 acre botanical and game preserve along the Missouri River bluffs between Omaha and Bellevue. Historic and archeological features represent a broad crosssection of eastern Nebraska's past. Most prehistoric sites are attributed to the Nebraska Phase (A.D. 1100-1450). The lower Platte area, including Fontenelle Forest, was also home to the historic Oto, Ioway, and Missouri tribes and was frequently visited by Pawnee, Omaha, and Ponca trading parties. Early Euro-American use of the area is represented by the Mormon Hollow Trail, Peter Sarpy's ferry landing, Lucien Fontenelle's trading post, and several late nineteenth century farmsteads. Fontenelle's post was established by the Missouri Fur Company in 1822 and operated by Fontenelle and others until 1832, when it was sold to the U.S. Government. The Office of Indian Affairs used the post as an Indian agency under the direction of John Dougherty and several other agents until its abandonment in 1842.
William Hamilton House, pdf [SY02-007] Listed 1969/10/15
The William Hamilton house, a two-story stone dwelling constructed about 1856, was built for the Reverend William Hamilton, a leading figure in Nebraska's early religious history. Hamilton came to Nebraska to direct the Presbyterian Indian Mission established at Bellevue, where the house is located, and became an influential pioneer missionary in Sarpy and Thurston counties. He devoted much of his life ministering to the Omaha Indians.
Fontenelle Bank (pdf) [SY02-011] Listed 1969/04/16
Built in 1856, the structure originally served as the Fontenelle Bank, a "wildcat" bank that failed in the Panic of 1857. It was the Sarpy County Courthouse in the 1860s and 1870s and then was Bellevue's town hall until 1959. The two-story brick bank is an excellent example of transitional Greek Revival Italianate styling.
Old Log Cabin, pdf [SY02-018] Listed 1970/10/16
According to local legend, the cabin was built on the bottom lands along the Missouri River about 1835. The exterior walls are constructed of handhewn cottonwood logs with wall spaces, originally packed with mud, now sealed with grout. The structure has been moved several times but has remained on the present site in Bellevue since the 1850s.
Presbyterian Church, pdf [SY02-022] Listed 1970/10/15
The Presbyterian Church, constructed in the late 1850s, is one of Nebraska's oldest religious buildings. The walls are composed of stone rubble and grout, faced with stucco. The Presbyterian Church was organized in December of 1850 under the direction of the Reverend Edward McKinney, who was succeeded by the Reverend William Hamilton in 1853. Under Hamilton's guidance, D. E. Reed, a builder, began construction in 1856 on the Presbyterian Church as well as on Hamilton's own dwelling in Bellevue (see William Hamilton House).
William E. Gordon House, pdf [SY02-070] Listed 2006/11/08
Constructed in 1936 the Gordon House is located in Bellevue. The one-and-one-half- story house is designed in the Craftsman style. The house has gable ends with large, triangular-braced, decorative supports positioned under wide eaves. The exterior is clad with multi-hued gray limestone veneer. The overall historical integrity enables this property to convey its significance as an excellent example of a Craftsman style house.
Fort Crook Historic District, pdf [SY04] Listed 1976/12/12
The district is located on Offutt Air Force Base near Bellevue and includes twenty-three buildings. A bill signed by President Grover Cleveland in July 1888 authorized construction of Fort Crook, built between 1891 and 1896 and named in honor of Major General George Crook (see General George Crook House, Omaha). The district consists of large, two, and two-and-one-half-story brick buildings including a fire station, jail, headquarters buildings, dormitories, officers' quarters, and a theater. Many of the buildings are used as housing for military personnel of Offutt Air Force Base.
Fort Crook Blacksmith Shop, pdf [SY04-030] Listed 19780512
The blacksmith shop is located on the original grounds of Fort Crook (now Offutt Air Force Base) outside the boundaries of the Fort Crook Historic District (see separate summary). Completed in 1893, the one-story brick building was designed as a regimental blacksmith, tinsmith, plumber, paint, carpenter, and wheelwright shop. In following years the building served various purposes including headquarters for the Seventh Army Corps and Civilian Conservation Corps, and later as a library and cultural center.
Sarpy County Courthouse, pdf [SY08-017] Listed 1990/07/05
Sarpy is among the oldest counties in the state and was organized in 1857. Bellevue was the original county seat, but this designation came to Papillion in 1875. Following the change to Papillion, a rather modest brick courthouse was constructed. By 1921 it was deteriorating and deemed inadequate. In that same year voters approved a bond issue for a new building. Construction began in 1922 and in 1923 the Classical Revival-style courthouse was completed.
Springfield Community Hall, pdf [SY10-027] Listed 1998/07/23
Constructed in 1940, the Springfield Community Building is significant for its association with the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Built of rough cut area sandstone, it is an excellent example of a small town, multiple use public building constructed by the WPA, a New Deal public works program.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information