Deutsche Evangelisch Lutherische Zion Kirche, pdf [SW00-052] Listed 1982/06/25
Located near Staplehurst, the Deutsche Evangelisch Lutherische Zion Kirche was constructed in 1916-17 in the Late Gothic Revival style and is one of the state's finest examples of an auditorium planned church. The church's design is the result of the combined talents of two of Nebraska's leading early twentieth century architects, George Berlinghof and Ellery L. Davis.
Troyer Site [25-SW-24] Listed 1995/03/08
Located near Milford, the Troyer Site has the potential to address critical relationships between the Smoky Hill and Nebraska phases. The site contains materials that are comparable to items previously identified from these phases. The site is located in an area that is pivotal in understanding the full relationships between the Smoky Hill, Nebraska, and Loup River phases; this area is almost completely unknown for the Central Plains Villagers tradition, as well as for any other archeological unit.
States Ballroom, pdf [SW02-008] Listed 1981/10/14
Located in Bee, the States Ballroom is a twelve-sided reinforced concrete structure. It is a notable product of modernistic design conceived by a local architect-builder, Vladimir Sobotka. The building has played an important recreational, entertainment, and cultural role in the surrounding Czech and German community. It was constructed in 1938-40 as a relief project of the Works Progress Administration.
Germantown State Bank Building, pdf [SW04-001] Listed 1984/12/13
The Germantown State Bank was organized as an incorporated bank in 1904. Earlier, Germantown (as Garland was then known) supported a private banking house known as the Bank of Germantown. Shortly after the end of World War 1, bank president August Carl Beckman began plans to construct a new facility. The new bank building was opened in the summer of 1920. The building is an excellent example of a small town bank and is one of the state's finest products of the Neo-Classical Revival style.
Seward County Courthouse Square Historic District, pdf [SW09] Listed 1982/07/15
The Seward County Courthouse Square Historic District is one of the finest nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial districts. The district's focus is the three-story, limestone courthouse, constructed 1904-6, and designed in the County Capitol form by architect George A. Berlinghof. Other noteworthy buildings include the 1887 Tishue Block; the J. F. Goehner Building, built in 1908; and the Zimmerer-Rolfsmeier Building, built about 1920. Public buildings and structures, such as the Carnegie Library, City Hall, and the Bandstand Park, are also found in the district.
Cattle-Hughes Mansion, pdf [SW09-006] Listed 1978/09/13
Located in Seward, the French Second Empire house was built in 1885 by Seward Banker John Cattle, Jr. Bankers since 1881, the Cattle family established the Cattle National Bank in 1930. John Cattle, Jr. also owned commercial and farming property in Seward County and was a stockholder in the Seward Cereal Mills.
Zimmerer House, pdf [SW09-013] Listed 1993/02/25
The John and Philomena Zimmerer House, located in Seward, is a three-story residence built in 1919-20. The exterior exhibits characteristics of the Jacobethan Revival-style. Side gables rise above the roof at several points and three chimneys tower over the building. The facades feature decorative brickwork patterns. A two-story brick carriage house, constructed at approximately the same time, is located directly northeast of the main house.
Harry T. Jones House, pdf [SW09-074] Listed 1990/11/28
Located in Seward, the Harry T. Jones House was constructed in 1889-90. It is a good example of a Free Classic Queen Anne-style house. Substantial in size and profuse in surface ornamentation, the dwelling is further enhanced by its location on a landscaped corner lot.
Seward County Courthouse, pdf [SW09-093] Listed 1990/01/10
Seward County was organized in 1865. Milford was selected as the first county seat, but Seward was awarded that distinction in an 1871 election. The first courthouse in Seward was a frame building that soon proved inadequate. In 1904 a bond issue passed to help finance a new courthouse. Construction began the following year and in 1907 the Classical Revival-style courthouse was completed.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information