W. S. Jeffery Farmstead, pdf [YK00-002] Listed 1982/07/26
The homestead of the W. S. Jeffery family, near Benedict, is a fine example of a prosperous farmstead in eastern Nebraska dating from 1878 to the present. The largest and oldest structure is the board and batten horse barn, built in 1879-80. On the opposite side of the road, the Queen Anne style house, built in 1900-1902, is placed on a slightly higher elevation than the barn. It is surrounded by a well-maintained yard outlined by a windbreak, rows of trees and shrubs, and a decorative wire fence. Other structures of the farm group include the 1899 cow barn, the 1930 hog house, brooder house, milk house, wash house, cob house, privy, and windmill. William and Laura (Dickey) Jeffery, of English descent, were early settlers in the area, and Jeffery became one of York County's most successful farmers and stockmen. Their eldest son, Orman S. Jeffery, continued to operate the farm and became a prominent York County landowner.
Bradshaw Town Hall, pdf [YK03-001] Listed 1984/05/31
The Bradshaw Town Hall, a two-story brick municipal building constructed in 1902-3, is a good example of the town hall, a building type that became common in many Nebraska communities in the early twentieth century. The hall served as a public meeting place for local civic and governmental activities.
Clem's Opera House, pdf [YK04-001] Listed 1988/09/28
Located in Gresham the two-story brick building was constructed about 1891 by local businessmen W. N. Hylton, N. Clem, and A. L. Clem. The first level was retail space, with the opera house located on the upper floor. The opera house has a box office and stage with trapdoor. Later known as the Gresham Opera House, it offered entertainment such as "The Mysterious Harrell," magician, and "The Great LaWayne, an Australian Hypnotist."
York Public Library, pdf [YK11-010] Listed 1990/12/04
Constructed in 1901-02 in York, the library is a fine example of educational architecture. Designed by Marrison H. Vail, the building incorporates elements of the Romanesque Revival-style of architecture. The York Public Library represents one of a small number of libraries built in the state prior to, and without Andrew Carnegie funding. Mrs. Lydia Woods, a local citizen, donated monies to build the facility, the first permanent home for the library since its early beginnings in the 1880s.
York Subways, pdf [YK11-051] Listed 1992/06/29
In 1938-39 Nebraska's Bureau of Roads and Bridges undertook a federal aid project. It entailed grading, paving, and culvert construction along a thirty-eight-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 81 between Fairmont and Osceola. Included in this was construction of three underpasses in York, designed to carry the highway under 14th and 15th Streets and the tracks of the C.B.&Q. Railroad. Bureau engineers developed plans for the three concrete/steel structures in August 1938 and awarded a contract to Peter Kiewit's Sons a month later. Using ornamental iron railings and stairs fabricated in Omaha, the Kiewit crew completed the three York subways the following year. Although the three structures differ in detail, the three underpasses are structurally similar as concrete rigid frames. The York subways have functioned in place in unaltered condition since their completion in 1939.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information