Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Tax Incentive Program Projects
in Douglas County


More Tax Incentive Program Projects in Douglas County

Omaha National Bank Building [DO09:124-010]

Located in Omaha, the Italian Renaissance-style building was constructed in 1889. Originally occupied by the New York Life Insurance Company, the building was purchased by the Omaha National Bank in 1909. After being vacated it was slated for demolition. However, the rehabilitation, completed in 1978, converted the building to office space.

Omaha Public Library (Historic Omaha Library Plaza) [DO09:124-019]

The Omaha Public Library opened in 1893. The building was designed by noted Nebraska architect Thomas Kimball in the Second Renaissance Revival style. The rehabilitation, completed in 1983, converted the former library to office space.

Braiker/Brandeis Building [DO09:124-009]

Constructed in 1906, the Omaha department store was originally an eight-story building. In 1921 a two-story extension was added. Completed in 1984, the rehabilitation converted the former department store primarily to office space with limited retail use.

Astro Theater [DO09:124-019]

Located in Omaha, the Astro Theater was constructed in 1926. It is one of the few buildings in this part of the country with a combination of both Moorish and Classical styles. Following the rehabilitation in 1986 the Astro reopened as a performing arts theater.

Poppleton Block [DO09:123-019]

In 1880 A. J. Poppleton had a three-story Italianate-style building constructed. He used part of the building for his law firm. The rest of the structure was used as additional office and commercial space. Over the years it continued to be used primarily for commercial purposes. After the rehabilitation in 1987, the building is utilized as office space.

Garneau-Kilpatrick House [DO09:212-001]
Housing Units: 20
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 20

Constructed in 1890, the Garneau-Kilpatrick House was significantly associated with the lives of two prominent Omaha businessmen. Joseph Garneau, Jr., was closely associated with the Joseph Garneau Cracker Company, which became one of the largest operations of its kind in the West. The house is also the only extant residence of Thomas Kilpatrick, renowned Omaha dry goods retailer and clothing manufacturer. The three-story house is a fine example of the American Romanesque Revival style. The rehabilitation, completed in 1983, created twenty low to moderate income apartments.

Burlington and Missouri River Railroad Headquarters Building (Burlington Place) [DO09:123-008]

This four-story brick building, located in Omaha, was constructed in 1879. Designed in the Italianate style, it originally had commercial space on the first floor with offices above. The rehabilitation in 1983 converted the entire building to office space.

T. C. Havens House [DO09:321-005]

Constructed in 1900 the Georgian Revival-style house is located in Omaha. Thomas Collins Havens was a prominent businessman in the city. The rehabilitation, completed in 1983, converted the former single-family dwelling to commercial use.

Hill Hotel [DO09:121-011]
Housing Units: 64
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 64

The thirteen-story structure was designed by noted Omaha architects John and Alan McDonald. Omaha businessmen John W. and Leon Hill began construction of the Hill Hotel in the fall of 1919. The building achieves distinction as a fine example of the Colonial Revival style. The Hill Hotel also derives significance for its association with the growth of high-rise hotel construction beginning around 1915 in the downtown area. The 1991 rehabilitation converted the former hotel into an apartment building.

Strehlow Terrace (Terrace Garden Apartment Complex) [DO09:135-004]
Housing Units: 70
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 70

The Terrace Garden Apartment Complex, located in Omaha, was constructed between 1905 and 1916. The six buildings that comprise the complex are designed in the Prairie School style. The rehabilitation was completed in 1991.

P. E. Iler Block [DO09:121-015]

The P. E. Iler Block is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The six-story building was constructed in 1900-1. It was originally built as a wholesale warehouse for rental purposes. The rehabilitation, completed in 1990, converted the building to retail and office space.

Vinton School [DO09:108-009]
Housing Units: 20
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 20

Vinton School was constructed as an elementary school in 1908. It is a particularly fine example of Gothic Revival design. Completed in 1990, the rehabilitation converted the former school to rental residential space.

Park School [DO09:203-023]
Housing Units: 24
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 24

The Omaha Public School District constructed this building in 1917-18 as an elementary school. Noted Nebraska architect Thomas Kimball designed this building in the Gothic Revival style. The rehabilitation, completed in 1991, converted the former school to rental residential use.

Melrose Apartments [DO09:214-003]
Housing Units: 12
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 12

The Melrose Apartments, constructed in 1916, is a three-story building designed in an L-shape. The structure was completed during Omaha's first apartment house "boom" period from 1912 to 1917. The rehabilitation was completed in 1991.

Carpenter Building [DO09:096-006]

The Carpenter Building is a contributing property in the South Omaha Main Street Historic District. Constructed in 1916, the building is a brick one-story structure. Historically the building housed a hardware store. After a fire in 1988, the building retained its historic use following the rehabilitation completed in 1990.

Vanous Block [DO09:-098-015]
Housing Units: 4

The Vanous Block is a contributing property in the South Omaha Main Street Historic District. Constructed in 1892, the structure is a three-story, brick vernacular commercial building. Following the rehabilitation in 1992, the Vanous Block was converted to a mixed-use function of commercial and rental residential space.

Prague Hotel [DO09:117-003]
Housing Units: 12
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 12

The Prague Hotel, constructed in 1898, is a three-story brick building. The hotel is significant to the ethnic history Omaha for its association with the community of Czech immigrants that was established in the city in the 1870s. The 1987 rehabilitation converted the former hotel into apartments.

Old People's Home (Leo Vaughan Senior Manor) [DO09:338-003]
Housing Units: 39
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 39

The Leo Vaughan Senior Manor is a two-story brick building constructed in 1917. The Women's Christian Aid Association, founded in 1883, was one of Omaha's first private charitable organizations. The association's mission was to assist homeless women, children, and the elderly. A longstanding goal of the association was to design and build a home specifically for the elderly. The Old People's Home was the result of their efforts. After its life as a non-profit residence for the elderly, the rehabilitation converted the building to a residential retirement center in 1988.

Stockman Publishing Company [DO09:-098-016]
Housing Units: 2
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 2

The Stockman Publishing Company is a contributing structure in the South Omaha Main Street Historic District. It is a two-story building constructed ca. 1890. The rehabilitation, completed in 1991, converted the building to a mixed commercial and rental residential use.

Brandes Block [DO09:098-017]
Housing Units: 8
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 8

The three-story brick building, constructed in 1889, is a contributing structure in the South Omaha Main Street Historic District. Walter Brandes, the owner and builder of this structure, was a notable early business leader in South Omaha. After the rehabilitation in 1991, the building was converted to a mixed commercial and rental residential use.

First National Bank Building [DO09:124-016]
Housing Units: 81

The First National Bank Building, constructed in 1916-17, is a fourteen-story steel frame building located in the center of Omaha's central business district. As one of Omaha's oldest and most prominent banks, the First National played an important role in the city's financial history. The rehabilitation, completed in 1992, converted the former bank to retail, office, and rental residential space.

Roseland Theater [DO09:096-003]
Housing Units: 17
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 17

The two-story Roseland Theater, constructed ca. 1922, is a contributing structure in the South Omaha Main Street Historic District. After closing as a movie theater, the Roseland continued to serve other commercial uses through the mid-1980s. The 1991 rehabilitation converted the building to commercial and rental residential use.

Blackstone Hotel [DO09:319-016]

Located in Omaha, the Blackstone Hotel was constructed in 1916. The eight-story building was designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style. Following the rehabilitation in 1984, the former hotel was converted to office space.

Kelley House [DO09:140-009]
Housing Units: 5
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 5

Located in Omaha, the Kelley House was constructed in 1904. George H. Kelley, the original owner, designed the house in the Classic Revival style. Originally a single- family residence, the 1983 rehabilitation converted the house into a multi-family dwelling.

Redick Tower [DO09:123-011]

Constructed in 1930, the Redick Tower is twelve stories high. Originally an office building, it is designed in the Art Deco style. It was named after the Redick family, who were among Omaha's early settlers and owned the land where the building was constructed. The rehabilitation, completed in 1989, converted the Redick Tower into a hotel.

Madison Apartments [DO09:122-008]
Housing Units: 36
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 36

Built in 1919-22, the Madison Apartments contribute to Omaha's Drake Court Apartments and Dartmore Apartments Historic District. Following its rehabilitation in 1985, the four-story structure continued to operate as an apartment building.

Monroe Apartment Building [DO09:122-008]
Housing Units: 23
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 23

Built ca. 1920, the Monroe Apartment Building contributes to Omaha's Drake Court Apartments and Dartmore Apartments Historic District. The four-story structure continues to operate as an apartment building following the rehabilitation in 1987.

Windsor Hotel [DO09:121-026]
Housing Units: 17
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 6

Constructed in 1885, the Windsor Hotel is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The three-story brick building operated as a hotel with commercial space on the first floor. The rehabilitation, completed in 1983, converted the former hotel into a mixed use of rental residential and commercial space.

Bradford House [DO09:319-008]

The two-and-one-half-story brick Bradford House was constructed in 1910. The residence, designed by John McDonald, Omaha's foremost architect during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, exhibits Prairie-style influences. The rehabilitation, completed in 1983, transformed the house into a learning center.

Flatiron Hotel [DO09:122-002]

The triangular-shaped Flatiron Hotel, designed in the Georgian Revival style, is located in downtown Omaha. Constructed in 1911-12 it was originally used for commercial and office space. Two years later, however, it was converted to a hotel. Following the rehabilitation in 1984, the building reverted to office and commercial space.

McClure-Smith Building [DO09:123-031]

The McClure-Smith Building is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The two-story brick building was constructed ca. 1878. Originally used as a steam bakery, the rehabilitation, completed in 1985, converted the building to office and retail space.

Monmouth Park School [DO09:234-001]
Housing Units: 30
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 30

Constructed in 1903, Omaha's Monmouth Park School is a significant example of the Second Renaissance Revival style. It is also important as the work of Thomas Kimball, considered by many to be Nebraska's finest architect. The former school was converted to apartments following the rehabilitation in 1985.

Columbian School [DO09:317-045]
Housing Units: 28
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 28

The Columbian School is a two-story building constructed in 1892. The structure is designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Following the rehabilitation in 1992, the former school was converted to rental residential space.

Steiner Row House #1 [DO09:122-053]
Housing Units: 6
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 6

The Steiner Row House #1, constructed in 1909, is a two-story building. The structure is designed in the Renaissance Revival style that was popular in row house construction in Omaha between 1900 and 1915. The rehabilitation was completed in 1992.

Steiner Row House #2 [DO09:122-050]
Housing Units: 6
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 6

Located in Omaha, the Steiner Row House #2 is a two-story building. Constructed in 1911 the structure is designed in the Renaissance Revival style that was popular in row house construction in Omaha between 1900 and 1915. The rehabilitation was completed in 1992.

A. I. Root Building [DO09:121-001]
Housing Units: 7

The three-story brick building is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. A. I. Root, Inc., erected the building in 1904 as offices for their printing operation. In 1909 the building was doubled in size by the addition of an equal-size portion. The rehabilitation, completed in 1993, converted the building to retail and residential spaces.

Mercer Block #3 [DO09:121-004]
Housing Units: 11

Mercer Block #3 is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. Constructed in 1905, the building originally housed both commercial and warehouse space. Following its rehabilitation in 1994, its use was converted to apartments and retail space.

Anheuser-Busch Office Building [DO09:121-030]

Constructed in 1887, this building is one of the most elaborate examples of the Victorian Romanesque style in Omaha. After prohibition was approved in Nebraska in 1916, the Anheuser-Busch Office Building had a variety of uses. The 1994 rehabilitation restored the building to office space.

Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building [DO09:121-072]
Housing Units: 12
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 7

The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building is a three-story structure constructed in 1889. Having housed several different manufacturers and distributors, the building is significant in Omaha's wholesale jobbing industry. Following the rehabilitation in 1995, the building was converted to apartments and retail space.

Eggerss-O'Flyng Building [DO09:119-001]
Housing Units: 48
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 48

The Eggerss-O'Flyng Building was constructed over a period of twenty-six years between 1902 and 1928. The Eggerss-O'Flyng Company was a major manufacturer and distributor of cardboard containers, making it significant to Omaha's wholesale jobbing industry. The rehabilitation, completed in 1993, converted the building to apartments.

Commercial Building [DO09:098-067]

Constructed ca. 1895, the Commercial Building is a contributing property in the South Omaha Main Street Historic District. The one-story brick building was originally used as a livestock supply dealership. Following its rehabilitation in 1994, the building was converted to retail and warehouse space.

Morse-Coe Shoe Company (Mayfield Apartments) [DO09:0121-004]
Housing Units: 12

Built in 1894 this five-story building is located in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The building originally housed both a warehouse and light industry. Completed in 2002, the rehabilitation converted the structure to a mixed-use function of apartments, retail space, and parking.



More Tax Incentive Program Projects in Douglas County

Return to Tax Incentive Program Projects Index Page

 

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/tax/douglas.htm
Last updated 17 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email web@nebraskahistory.org
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
© 2004 All Rights Reserved.