Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Tax Incentive Program Projects
in Lancaster County


McPherson House [LC13:D07-522]
Housing Units: 1

The McPherson House is a contributing property to Lincoln's Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic Residential District. The house was originally a single-family dwelling. Following the rehabilitation in 1981, it retained this historic function.

Lincoln Exchange Building/Nebraska Telephone Company Building [LC13:C08-005]

Constructed in 1896, this building was designed by noted architect Thomas Kimball. Located in Lincoln, it has historically been used as rental space by a variety of firms and individuals since 1914. The rehabilitation, completed in 2001, converted the Lincoln Exchange Building/Nebraska Telephone Company Building to office space.

Woods Brothers Building [LC13:C08-006]

Constructed in 1916, this building was the home office of Woods Brothers Companies, a significant developer in the Midwest. The rehabilitation, completed in 2001, continued the historic use as office space.

George F. Blake House [LC13:D07-582]
Housing Units: 2

The George F. Blake House is a contributing property to the Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic Residential District. The two-and-one-half-story vernacular frame dwelling was constructed in 1902 as a single-family dwelling. Later divided into apartments, the 1982 rehabilitation retained the use as rental residential space.

Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Depot (Union Bank and Trust) [LC13:D09-001]

Constructed in 1893 the present exterior appearance of the former depot is virtually identical to the original. The building, located in Lincoln, is viewed as a fine example of Chateauesque architecture. Following the rehabilitation, completed in 1986, the former depot was converted to a bank.

Harris House [LC13:D08-009]

The Harris House, constructed ca. 1901-03, is a fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture that gained popularity in Nebraska after 1900. The two-and-one-half-story frame building was home to the Harris family, recognized as early pioneers in the Lincoln area. The 1986 rehabilitation converted the former house to office space.

Gold and Company Building/Golds-Brandeis Building [LC13:C08-301]

Originally constructed in1924, the building experienced several additions. The Gold and Company/Golds-Brandeis Building is historically significant through its association with two retail establishments that greatly aided the commercial life of Lincoln. Throughout the life of the building it was exclusively a retail venture. Following the rehabilitation, completed in 1989, the use changed to a mix of commercial and office space.

Burlington Northern Railroad Depot (Lincoln Station) [LC13:C09-080]

Built in 1927 the depot, located in Lincoln, is a three-story reinforced concrete structure with red brick veneer and limestone trim. Architecturally the building is significant as a good representation of early twentieth century Neo-Classicism. Following the 1999 rehabilitation, the building is mainly used as a convention and visitors center. However, Amtrak continues to operate at the facility, partially maintaining it as an active depot.

Municipal Lighting and Waterworks Plant ("A" Street Pumping Station) [LC13:E06-002]
Housing Units: 41
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 41

Designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style by Fiske and Meginnis, a prominent local architectural firm, the building was constructed in 1921-22. The facility was originally a major expansion of the city's involvement in electrical generation, before public power became the statewide norm. The 1986 rehabilitation converted the former power plant to rental residential space.

Metropolitan Apartments [LC13:C08-239]
Housing Units: 56
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 56

The Metropolitan Apartments, located in Lincoln, is a nine-story building constructed in 1916-17. The building is of local architectural significance as a noteworthy example of the apartment house type. Following the rehabilitation in 1988, the facility continued to operate as an apartment building.

Julius Doerr House [LC13:C07-155]
Housing Units: 2
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 2

Constructed ca. 1904, the Julius Doerr House is a contributing property in Lincoln's South Bottoms Historic District. Its one-and-one-half-story size, frame construction, clapboard siding, and early twentieth century construction date are all characteristic of the district. The rehabilitation in 1987 converted the former single-family house to a multi-family rental residential dwelling.

Old Woods Brothers Building [LC13:C09-094]
Housing Units: 3

The Old Woods Brothers Building is a two-story structure constructed in 1914 with a 1918 addition. It is significant for its association with Woods Brothers, Lincoln's preeminent land development firm of the early twentieth century. After the firm vacated the property, the building housed a succession of manufacturing and warehousing concerns. The rehabilitation, completed in 1988, converted the building to rental residential space.

Lincoln Liberty Life Insurance Building [LC13:C09-048]

The Lincoln Liberty Life Insurance Building is a six-story, steel and reinforced concrete building constructed in 1907. A major remodeling occurred in 1936. The structure is locally significant as one of Lincoln's best Art Deco-style buildings. Following the rehabilitation in 1988, the facility continued its historic function as an office building.

Russell Stover Candy Factory [LC13:C09-086]

Constructed in 1887, this four-story brick building originally housed the wholesale dray business of H. T. Clarke. In 1906 a renovation transformed it into the Gillen and Boney Candy Factory, which occupied the building until 1945. From 1945 to 1980 it served as the Russell Stover Candy Company. The rehabilitation, completed in 1987, converted the building to a mixed use of commercial and office space.

Capital Hotel Building [LC13:C09-109]
Housing Units: 52
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 52

The Capital Hotel, constructed in 1926, is an eleven-story structure designed in the Georgian Revival style. In 1966 the building, located in Lincoln, was donated to the Y.M.C.A. As part of the rehabilitation, completed in 1985, the Y.M.C.A. continued to occupy the basement, first, and second floors. Floors three through eleven were converted into apartments.

Burr-Muir Block [LC13:C09-074]

Located in Lincoln, the Burr-Muir block is a contributing property in the locally designated Haymarket Landmark District. The three-story brick building was constructed in 1881. The 1986 rehabilitation converted the building to mixed use of commercial and office space.

Seaton and Lea Ironworks Building [LC13:C09-069]

The Seaton and Lea Ironworks Building is a contributing property in Lincoln's locally designated Haymarket Landmark District. The three-story brick building was constructed in 1881. The 1995 rehabilitation converted the building to retail space.

Sheldon House [LC13:D08-387]

Located in Lincoln, the Sheldon House is a two-and-one-half-story, wood frame residence constructed in ca. 1889. The house is locally significant as one of the largest and best preserved examples of the Queen Anne style in Lincoln with a high degree of integrity. Following the rehabilitation in 1995, the former single-family residence was converted to retail and office space.

Grainger Building [LC13:C09-098]
Housing Units: 26
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 26

The Grainger Building, constructed in 1912, is a contributing property in Lincoln's locally designated Haymarket Landmark District. The five-story brick building, originally used as a warehouse, was rehabilitated to a mixed commercial and residential space in 1993.

President and Ambassador Apartments [LC13:C08-026]
Housing Units: 84
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 84

Located in Lincoln, the Ambassador and the President Apartments were constructed in 1928 and 1929 respectively. Each is a five-story brick building. The rehabilitation, completed in 1994 for both buildings, retained their historic use.

H. P. Lau Annex [LC13:C09-078]

Constructed in 1906, the H. P. Lau Annex is a contributing property in Lincoln's locally designated Haymarket Landmark District. It is a two-story brick and concrete structure with a raised basement. Originally used as a warehouse, the 1996 rehabilitation converted the building to office space.

William Selleck House [LC13:D07-164]
Housing Units: 4
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 4

The William Selleck House is a contributing property to Lincoln's Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic Residential District. Constructed in 1909, the two-and-one-half-story house was originally a single-family residence that was later converted to apartments. The rehabilitation, completed in 1995, maintained its use as rental residential space.

Frank Harris House [LC13:D07-165]
Housing Units: 5
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 5

The Frank Harris House is a contributing property to Lincoln's Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic Residential District. This two-and-one-half-story wood frame house was constructed ca. 1900. Originally designed as a single-family dwelling it was later converted to apartments. The rehabilitation, completed in 1995, maintained its use as rental residential space.

Haymarket Junction (Lazlos) [LC13:C09-084]

Haymarket Junction, formerly known as the Bennet Hotel, is a contributing property in Lincoln's locally designated Haymarket Landmark District. Constructed in 1915, it is a three-story brick building. Following the rehabilitation in 1984, the building was converted to retail space.

Eddy-Taylor House [LC13:D09-356]
Housing Units: 4
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 4

Located in Lincoln, the Eddy-Taylor House is a large, two-story brick dwelling, built in the Queen Anne style. The house was originally constructed as a single-family residence in 1891 and later converted to apartments. The rehabilitation, completed in 1984, maintained the structure's rental residential use.

Samuel Atwood House [LC13:D07-002]

The Samuel Atwood House is a contributing property in Lincoln's Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic Residential Historic District. Constructed ca. 1900, the two-and-one-half-story house was originally a single-family residence that was later made into apartments. The 1985 rehabilitation converted the former dwelling into office space.

R. O. Phillips House (The Castle) [LC13:D07-042]
Housing Units: 8

Located in Lincoln, the Phillips House was built in 1889-90 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Built as a single-family residence, the house was later divided into apartments. The rehabilitation, completed in 1986, maintained the rental residential usage.

Tifereth Israel Synagogue [LC13:D08-264]
Housing Units: 11
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 11

Located in Lincoln, the Tifereth Israel Synagogue was constructed in 1913. Designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style, it is culturally significant for its ties to Orthodox Judaism in Lincoln. The 1986 rehabilitation converted the former synagogue to rental residential space.

Christian Record Building [LC13:F03-113]

Constructed in 1936, the Christian Record Building is designed in the Art Deco style. It is significant for its association with an early and longtime publisher of reading materials for the visually impaired. Following the rehabilitation in 1987, the facility was converted to office space.

Hayward School [LC13:C10-110]
Housing Units: 41
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 41

Hayward School was originally constructed in 1903-04 with major additions in 1913 and 1925-26. The two-story building played an important role in the settlement of the ethnic Germans from Russia, an immigrant group important to Lincoln's history. The rehabilitation, completed in 1986, converted the former school to rental residential use.

St. Charles Apartment Building [LC13:F12-225]
Housing Units: 16
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 16

Constructed in 1923-24, the St. Charles Apartment Building is located in Lincoln. The three-story structure is significant for its association with William Henry Seng. Seng, who built the apartment, building was a major contractor in University Place (Lincoln) in the 1920s and 1930s. The 1986 rehabilitation retained the rental residential space.

Burr Block, Security Mutual Life Building (Centerstone) [LC13:C09-002]
Housing Units: 28

When initially erected in Lincoln in 1887, the Burr Block contained six stories over a raised basement. A 1916 addition and remodeling resulted in a ten-story building. Following the rehabilitation in 1996, the building continued to provide office and commercial space while adding rental residential use.

Federal Trust Building [LC13:C08-007]

Located in Lincoln, the Federal Trust Building was constructed in 1926-27. The twelve-story office tower is designed in the Gothic Revival style. The building retained its use as office space following the rehabilitation in 2001.

The Carter Warehouse [LC13:C09-069]
Housing Units: 3

Constructed in 1916, the Carter Warehouse is a contributing property in Lincoln's Haymarket Landmark District. The five-story brick structure was built for Carter Transport and Storage. The rehabilitation, completed in 2000, converted the former warehouse to rental residential and office space.

Morris Weil House [LC13:D07-050]
Housing Units: 1

Constructed in 1902, the Morris Weil House is a contributing property in Lincoln's Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic District. The two-and-one-half-story frame house is designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style. The rehabilitation, completed in 2001, converted the former single-family dwelling into a Bed and Breakfast.

Judge Munger House [LC13:D07-801]
Housing Units: 5
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 5

The Judge Munger House, located in Lincoln's Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic District, was constructed in 1902-03. The two-and-one-half-story frame house is designed in the Neo-Classical style. Completed in 1999, the rehabilitation upgraded the existing rental units in the dwelling.

Return to Tax Incentive Program Projects Index Page

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/tax/lancastr.htm
Last updated 4 September 2001

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved