Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

First Lutheran Church (Papillion, Neb.)


RG1172.AM:  First Lutheran Church (Papillion, Neb.)

Records:  1876-1990
Papillion, Sarpy County, Neb.:  
Size:  4 volumes on 1 roll microfilm

HISTORICAL NOTE

The first church service of the Fist Lutheran Church of Papillion, Nebraska was conducted by Rev. John Hilgendorf of Omaha on June 2, 1876. The congregation was officially organized on June 18, 1876. During its early years, the congregation was served by visiting pastors. The first resident pastor, William Huesemann, arrived in 1884 and served until 1908.

The cornerstone of the church's first building, at 4th and Washington Streets, was laid on October 14, 1878. The structure, originally costing $1400.00 was later enlarged and a tower was added. A new building, located across the street from the original church, was dedicated on April 19, 1925.

From the beginning, First Lutheran Church was concerned about bringing up children "in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Initially, religious classes were taught by the pastors in the church basement. In 1916, a teacher was hired and two years later a two-room school building was dedicated. The school was closed in 1939 due to a decrease in enrollment, but reopened in 1954.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

This collection consists of four volumes of manuscript material on microfilm designated as one series: 1) Church Records, 1876-1990. Included is a volume of Parish Minutes, 1876-1924, which provide information on church activities, programs, policies, and financial status. Entries are written in German until April 25, 1920. Also in this series are three volumes of Parish Registers, 1876-1990, which list names and additional information on church members, baptisms, communicants, confirmations, marriages, and burials. (This collection is on negative diazo microfilm and for this reason, is sometimes illegible.)

DESCRIPTION

Series 1 - Church Records, 1876-1990

Reel 1
Volume
  1. Parish Minutes, June 18, 1876 - January 27, 1924
  2. Parish Register, 1876-1930
  3. Parish Register, 1931-1968
  4. Parish Register, 1969-1990

Note: These materials are on microfilm only.

 

ADDED ENTRIES:

First Lutheran Church (Papillion, Neb.)
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Sarpy County (Neb.) -- Churches

 

03-09-2007   Revised TMM/tmm

 

For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/church/1stlutheran-1172.htm
Last updated 13 February 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved