Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Christ Lutheran Church (Columbus, Neb.)


RG4215.AM:  Christ Lutheran Church (Columbus, Neb.)

Records:  1871-1985
Columbus, Platte County, Neb.:  Lutheran church
Size:  3 reels of microfilm

HISTORICAL NOTE

Through the efforts of missionary-at-large, F. Knegele, the Christ Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Columbus, Nebraska, was organized in 1871. Sixty men and women in that year signed a confession of faith that helped establish the congregation. In August of 1871 C.W. Baumhoefner was installed as first resident pastor. The latter and his successor, Ernest A. Frese, conducted services at local homes and schools until a church edifice was constructed in 1877. Over the years the congregation grew and, thus, necessitated an addition to the original frame church building in 1893. In 1921, as a memorial to the 50th anniversary of the congregation, a new facility costing $80,000 was erected. This ornate house of worship continues to serve the needs of the congregation. In 1952 the name was officially changed to The Christ Lutheran Church.

The Christ Lutheran Church, throughout its existence, has operated a Christian Day School for the children of the congregation. Classes initially taught in local homes were eventually held in the old first parsonage upon completion of a new pastor's residence in 1881. Subsequent school facilities were constructed in 1897 and 1949 to meet the needs of expanding grade school enrollments. In addition to the educational program, Christ Lutheran Church within the last fifty years has fostered other concerns, such as the Ladies' Aid Society, the Lutheran Women's Missionary League, the Laymen's League and the Walther League.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

This collection consists of the records of the Christ Lutheran Church, Columbus, Nebraska, 1871-1985, and is contained on three reels of microfilm. Arrangement consists of a total of 12 series within 7 subgroups. The first subgroup, Christ Lutheran Church, includes four series: 1) Record Book, 1871-1880; 2) Minutes, 1875-1985; 3) Register, 1871-1984 and 4) Miscellany, 1871-1971. Subgroup 2 is Church Council and contains one series: 1) Minutes. The third subgroup, Walther League, consists of three series: 1) Record Book, 1920-1925; 2) Roll Books, 1927-1942 and 3) Minutes, 1946-1979. Subgroup 4 is entitled Ladies' Aid Society and contains a single series: 1) Record Books, 1932-1985. The fifth subgroup, Laymen's League, includes the two series 1) Minutes, 1945-1985 and 2) History, 1945-1985. Subgroup 6, Christian Growth for Both, consists of the series: 1) Record Books, 1953-1985. The seventh subgroup, Christ Lutheran School Board contains the single series: 1) Minutes, 1959-1985.

The bulk of this collection pertains to the history and various activities of the Christ Lutheran Church from its organization in 1871 up to 1985. Specifically, Subgroup 1's first three series: 1) Record Book; 2) Minutes and 3) Register, contain records of congregational meeting minutes, membership, baptisms, confirmations, communions, marriages and burials that cover the period 1871-1985 (some years missing). Many of these records prior to 1940 are compiled in German. Also included in Subgroup 1, under the series (4) Miscellany, are detailed church histories which were written for the seventy-fifth and one-hundredth anniversaries of the congregation. The remaining six subgroups contain a variety of records, but mostly minutes that illustrate the ongoing activities of the various component organizations within the Christ Lutheran Church.

DESCRIPTION

Subgroup 1: Christ Lutheran Church
Series 1 - Record Book, 1871-1880

Reel 1
Volume
  1. 1871-1880

Series 2 - Minutes, 1875-1985

  1. 1875-1877
  2. 1902-1948
  3. 1949-1976
  4. 1976-1985

Series 3 - Register, 1871-1984

  1. 1871-1960
  2. 1920s-1984

Series 4 - Miscellany, 1871-1971

  1. 1871-1971 (includes church histories, articles of incorporation)

Subgroup 2: Church Council
Series 1 - Minutes, 1945-1985 (includes officers list)

Reel 2
Volume
  1. 1945-1956
  2. 1957-1981
  3. 1982-1985

Subgroup 3: Walther League
Series 1 - Record Books, 1920-1925 (includes Constitution, Membership lists and Minutes)

  1. 1920-1925

Series 2 - Roll Books, 1927-1942

  1. 1927-1935
  2. 1935-1942

Series 3 - Minutes, 1946-1979

  1. 1946-1948
  2. 1949-1957
  3. 1957-1965
  4. 1966-1979

Subgroup 4: Ladies' Aid Society (includes Lutheran Women's Missionary League)
Series 1 - Record Books, 1932-1985 (includes Membership Lists, Minutes, Financial Information)

  1. 1932-1951 (includes Constitution)
Reel 3
Volume
  1. 1952-1959
  2. 1960-1967
  3. 1968-1971
  4. 1972-1975
  5. 1972-1975
  6. 1979-1981
  7. 1982-1984
  8. 1984-1985

Subgroup 5: Laymen's League
Series 1 - Minutes, 1945-1985

  1. 1945-1959 (includes Constitution and By-Laws)
  2. 1959-1974 (includes Officer Lists)
  3. 1974-1985

Series 2 - History, 1945-1985

  1. 1945-1985

Subgroup 6: Christian Growth for Both
Series 1 - Record Books, 1953-1985

  1. 1953-1964 (includes Constitution and By-Laws)
  2. 1964-1973
  3. 1973-1984
  4. 1984-1985

Subgroup 7 - Christ Lutheran School Board
Series 1 - Minutes, 1959-1985

  1. 1959-1981
  2. 1981-1985

 

ADDED ENTRIES:

Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church (Columbus, Neb.)
Christ Lutheran Church (Columbus, Neb.)
Columbus (Neb.) -- Churches
German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Germans in Nebraska
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Platte County (Neb.) -- Churches

 

Revised 06-17-2009   TMM

 

For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/church/columbus-lutheran.htm
Last updated 17 June 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved