RG4414.AM: Zion Reformed United Church of Christ (Dawson, Neb.)
Dawson, Richardson County, Neb.: United Church of Christ
Size: 2 reels of microfilm
Before 1869 the Reverend Grienmiller of Rockport, Missouri, came to conduct services in the homes of German settlers in Richardson County, Nebraska. The Zion Reformed Church was organized in 1871, and the first child baptized. The church was built eight miles south of Dawson in 1895. After the Reformed Church of the United States merged with the Evangelical Synod of North America in 1934, the name of this congregation became the Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1959 this congregation and the Congregational Church of Sebetha, Kansas, exchanged ministers to prepare for the coming merger of the two denominations to form the United Church of Christ. Church membership declined in the 1960s. The last Sunday service was held on June 3, 1973, and the building was demolished in 1974.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection of the records of the Zion Reformed United Church of Christ of Dawson, Nebraska, consists of two reels of microfilm containig thirteen volumes dating from 1878-1973. Included in this collection are church registers from 1878 to 1973, which list ministers, members, baptisms, marriages, confirmations, communion, and deaths. The collection also contains minutes of the consistory, 1919-1942, as well as the annual meetings of the congregation, 1903-1942. The remaining volumes are records of the Women's Guild, the Women's Missionary Society, the Zion Intermediate Society of Christian Endeavor, and the Sunday School.
The Nebraska Conference of the United Church of Christ loaned these records for microfilming in May of 1978 and January of 1981.
- Register, 1878-1928
- Register, 1896-1942
- Register, 1939-1973
- Consistory Minutes, July 1919-November 1942
- Annual Meeting of the Congregation, Minutes, 1903-1942
- Treasurer's Account Book, 1919-1928
- Zion Intermediate Society of Christian Endeavor, Constitution, By-Laws, Minutes, 1936-1942
- Women's Guild, Constitution, By-Laws, Minutes, 1942-1949, Annual Reports, 1956-1963; Treasurer's Reports, 1956-1959
- Girl's Guild, Minutes, 1950-1956; Annual Report, 1959
- Women's Missionary Society, Minutes, 1926-1932
- Women's Missionary Society, Treasurer's Book, 1914-1932
- Sunday School, Records of Meetings, 1895-1897
- Sunday School Board, Constitution, Minutes, 1923-1940
Charities -- Nebraska
Dawson (Neb.) -- Churches
Evangelical and Reformed Church in Nebraska
German Evangelical and Reformed Church in Nebraska
Reformed Church in Nebraska
Richardson County (Neb.) -- Churches
United Church of Christ in Nebraska
Zion Reformed United Church of Christ (Dawson, Neb.)
Revised 07-01-2009 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.