RG3227.AM: St. Anthony of Padua Church (Farwell, Neb.)
Farwell, Howard County, Neb.: Catholic Church
Size: 2 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm
The parish of St. Anthony of Padua in Farwell, Nebraska which claims to be the oldest Polish church in Nebraska, was founded in September of 1877 when the Rev. Anthony Kawiter came from the nearby mission at Warsaw, Nebraska, to serve until June of 1878. Thereafter the church was staffed by a succession of priests until the Rev. Ladislaus Sebastyanski, S.J., arrived in 1884. During his twelve-year tenure he built a rectory and a school, which, together with the church, were destroyed by fire. A larger church with two towers and two bells was begun but before completion it burned also. Mass was celebrated in the new church, erected on the same foundations, on August 7, 1887. In 1925 the congregation voted to move the church into Farwell. The old rectory and convent were demolished, and the church building dismantled and re-assembled with some additions on the new site. A new school, rectory and convent were erected.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes of the records of St. Anthony of Padua Church of Farwell, Nebraska, arranged in one series: 1) Church Records, 1877-1974. Volume 1 is the Register of Baptisms from 1877 through 1905. Volume 2 is the Register of Marriages from 1878 to 1974. In both volumes the earliest entries were copied into the register by the Rev. Ladislaus Sebastyanski, who became the pastor in 1884.
Series 1 - Church Records, 1877-1974Reel 1
- Register of Baptisms, 1877-1905
- Register of Marriages, 1878-1974
Catholic Church in Nebraska
Farwell (Neb.) -- Churches
Howard County (Neb.) -- Churches
Poles in Nebraska
St. Anthony of Padua Church (Farwell, Neb.)
Revised 11-05-2008 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.