Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Hope Reformed Church (Sutton, Neb.)


RG3998.AM:  Hope Reformed Church (Sutton, Neb.)

Records:  1908-1975
Sutton, Clay County, Neb.:  German Reformed Church
Size:  1 volume on 1 reel of microfilm

BACKGROUND NOTE

The Hope Reformed Church of Sutton, Nebraska, was organized in 1908 by 72 families which withdrew from the Emmanual Reformed Church of Sutton. The Emmanuel Church had been founded in 1877 by Germans from Russia who had settled at Sutton. The Hope Church was known originally as the Free German Reformed Hope Church. In 1909 the congregation built two church buildings, one in Sutton and one six and a half miles northwest of town. Morning services were held in Sutton and afternoon or evening services in the country church. Rev. Ulrich Zogg was the first pastor. Around 1925 the country services were discontinued and the building and grounds sold.

All church services were conducted in the German language until 1934 when English services began to be held. By the 1960s German was used only at one evening service per month. At present, all services are in English. Until 1937 the Hope Church was a "free" church, not attached to any church association. Between 1937-1942, it was a member of the Nebraska Classis of the Synod of the Northwest. In 1945 the Church joined the Eureka Classis of the Reformed Church of the United States. The church name was changed to the Hope Reformed Church of Sutton in 1946. For further history, see History of Hope Reformed Church by T.C. Wenzlaff, 1968.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

This collection consists of a single volume, the register of the Hope Reformed Church of Sutton, Nebraska, 1908-1975, contained on one reel of microfilm. Most of the entries are in German and list pastors, officers, marriages, baptisms, confirmations, deaths, etc. Records of the Emmanual Reformed Church of Sutton, from which the members of the Hope Reformed church withdrew, in 1908, may be found on microfilm under RG3218 [formerly MS189].

This volume was loaned for microfilming by the Church in April of 1980.

DESCRIPTION

Reel 1
Volume
  1. Register, 1908-1975 (in German) including pastors, elders, marriages, baptisms, confirmation and deaths

 

ADDED ENTRIES:

Clay County (Neb.) -- Churches
Free German Reformed Hope Church (Sutton, Neb.)
German Evangelical and Reformed Church in Nebraska
Germans from Russia
Hope Reformed Church (Sutton, Neb.)
Reformed Church in Nebraska
Sutton (Neb.) -- Churches

 

Revised 09-09-2008   TMM

 

For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/church/hope-reformed.htm
Last updated 13 February 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved