RG4394.AM: Christ Lutheran Church (Lincoln, Neb.)
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Neb.: Lutheran church
Size: 14 items on 3 reels of microfilm
The Christ Lutheran Church (Lincoln, Neb.) had its beginning on July 14, 1949 when eight members of Trinity Lutheran met to discuss forming a new church. Their main grievance was Trinity Lutheran's policy of publishing contribution records, which the group felt should be kept confidential. The organizational meeting was held September 7, 1949 during which a constitution, by-laws, and articles of incorporation were adopted. There were 18 men and women present.
On October 23, 1949 the first service was held at Calvary Lutheran Church with 47 people in attendance. From the beginning, the Christ Lutheran Church practiced a "sealed pledge" system. This was new to Lincoln. Dedication of the Chapel at 44th and Sumner was held on July 15, 1951. Since then, many structural improvements have occurred, most important being construction of a parsonage in 1955, an educational unit in 1958, and a new church in 1963.
The Christ Lutheran Church is affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection of the records of the Christ Lutheran Church of Lincoln, Nebraska, consists of eight volumes and one folder of manuscript material arranged in four series: (1) Parish Register, 1949-1977; (2) Minute Books of Voter Assembly, 1949-1976; (3) Newsletters 1953-1967; and (4) Miscellany, 1974-1977.
Series 1 consists of the Parish Register, which includes a list of major historical events up to September 12, 1954. The register also contains records of baptisms, marriages, and funerals. Series 2 holds Voter Assembly minutes from the first meeting when formation of the Christ Lutheran Church was discussed up to the December 21, 1976 meeting. In addition, attendance, financial records, committee information, and other church business are contained within these six volumes.
Series 3 consists of monthly newsletters of the church, which contain upcoming events and other church concerns. Series 4 holds miscellaneous contemporary and historical information. Included are two 25th Anniversary booklets, two single-page informational sheets, one communicant membership list from March of 1977, and a booklet with information about church activities and members, including pictures, and addresses of each member.
The collection was loaned for microfilming on August 11, 1977.
Series 1 - Parish Register, 1949-1977Volume
Series 2 - Minute Books of Voters Assembly, 1949-1976
- July 14, 1949-Dec. 12, 1958
- Jan. 9, 1959-Dec. 20, 1966
- Jan. 17, 1967-Dec. 16, 1969
- Jan. 20, 1970-Dec. 19, 1972
- Jan. 16, 1973-Dec. 17, 1974
- Jan. 28, 1975-Dec. 21, 1976
Series 3 - Newsletters, 1953-1967
- Dec. 20, 1953-June 29, 1967
Series 4 - Miscellany, 1974-1977
25th Anniversary Booklets (2 copies)
Membership and Church Information material
Christ Lutheran Church (Lincoln, Neb.)
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Lincoln (Neb.) -- Churches
Lancaster County (Neb.) -- Churches
Revised 05-06-2009 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.