RG4041.AM: St. John's Lutheran Church (Ohiowa, Neb.)
Ohiowa, Fillmore County, Neb.: Lutheran Church
Size: 4 volumes on 2 reels of microfilm
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1880 at Ohiowa and voted to become a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Nebraska. In 1890 this congregation was one of the founding members of the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Nebraska, a group which desired to separate from the English Synod and to preserve the German language and customs in liturgical services. In 1918 the German Synod became a part of the United Lutheran Church in America and in 1962 joined the general merger which formed the Lutheran Church in America.
A small frame church, located two miles east of Ohiowa, was used by the congregation for the first few years of its existence. In 1893 a larger building was constructed on that site. Then in 1921 this building was moved into town. A new one replaced it in 1955. Between 1944 and 1950 this congregation shared a pastor with another one known as South St. John's Lutheran Church, located two and a half miles south of Ohiowa. In 1953-1954 the two discussed a merger which did not come about. After that, South St. John's became Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of the records of St. John's Lutheran Church of Ohiowa, Nebraska, on two reels of microfilm, arranged in two series: 1) Registers, 1880-1956 and 2) Minute Books, 1880-1963. The first series includes two volumes of the records of members, baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and burials from 1880 to 1956. The second series contains minutes of meetings from 1880 through 1963. The minutes are in the German language until 1931 and subsequently in English. The records on Reel 1 were loaned for microfilming in May of 1981. The volume on Reel 2 was loaned in April of 1985.
Series 1 - Registers, 1880-1956Reel 1
Series 2 - Minute Books, 1880-1963Reel 1
Fillmore County (Neb.) -- Churches
German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Germans in Nebraska
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Ohiowa (Neb.) -- Churches
St. John's Lutheran Church (Ohiowa, Neb.)
Revised 09-30-2008 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.