RG4189.AM: St. John's Ridgeley Lutheran Church (Scribner, Neb.)
Scribner, Dodge County, Neb.: Lutheran Church
Size: 0.25 cu.ft.
This congregation was organized in 1874 as the German Evangelical Lutheran St. John's Church in Ridgeley Township, Dodge County. Nebraska. The first group worshipped in a log cabin and later in a schoolhouse. In 1879 the first church building was constructed. The congregation was at first served by supply pastors. It was then served by its own ministers from 1886-1929. Then, until 1941, it was supplied by the pastors of Zion Lutheran Church of Hooper. In 1941 a decision was needed -- either the congregation must call a full-time pastor or dissolve itself. A pastor was called, and slowly the congregation grew.
A new church building was constructed in 1893, and remodeled in 1944. In November of 1993, the church was destroyed by an electrical fire caused by the lighted neon cross on the church steeple. The congregation built a new church building just east of the old church site. During the rebuilding of the church, services were held at a Lutheran church that had been closed for a number of years and was located about 7 miles from the present church. The ministers at the time were Pastor's Don and Donna Wright. The new church building was dedicated in December of 1994.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection of the records of the St. John's Ridgeley Lutheran Church of Scribner, Nebraska, consists of a photocopy of one volume, a record book dating from 1874-1941. The volume contains the register of baptisms, marriages, and communions. It was written in the German language until 1919.
- Record Book, 1874-1941 (photocopy only)
Dodge County (Neb.) -- Churches
Germans in Nebraska
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Scribner (Neb.) -- Churches
St. John's Ridgeley Lutheran Church (Scribner, Neb.)
Revised 09-19-2008 TMM
Revised 11-09-2009 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.