Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

German Evangelical Congregational Church (Sutton, Neb.)


RG4412.AM:  German Evangelical Congregational Church (Sutton, Neb.)

Records:  1876-1953
Sutton, Clay County, Neb.:  German Evangelical Congregational Church
Size:  3 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm

BACKGROUND NOTE

The German Evangelical Congregational Church of Sutton was organized in 1880 and incorporated in 1883. The organization was conducted by Rev. W. Sess of Crete and assisted by Rev. E. Jose, who became the first pastor. The church started with sixteen members. It closed in 1953. The German Evangelical Congregational Church of Stockham was organized in 1898 by Gottlieb Essig who was then pastor of the German Evangelical Congregational Church of Sutton. The Stockham church apparently went out of existence in 1906.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing three volumes of church records arranged into two series: 1) Records of the German Evangelical Congregational Church (Sutton, Neb.), 1876-1953; and 2) Records of the German Evangelical Congregational Church (Stockham, Neb.), 1898-1906.

Series 1 contains two volumes, both of which are church registers. The original register is dated 1880-1910 and holds the church constitution, membership rolls, minutes of committee and congregational meetings, lists of deaths, marriages, baptisms, and a short church history on the back page. The second register, which dates from 1876-1953, encompasses much of the first one. It contains lists of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, births, finances, church members and pastors.

Series 2 contains one volume of Records of the German Evangelical Congregational Church (Stockham, Neb.), 1898-1906. This, too, is a church register and holds the constitution, records of baptisms, missionary work, and membership.

All three volumes are written in German. They were loaned for microfilming on May 8, 1978.

DESCRIPTION

Series 1 - Records of the German Evangelical Congregational Church (Sutton, Neb.), 1876-1953

Reel 1 (160 shots, 320 pgs, #17,448)
Volume
  1. Church Register, 1880-1910
  2. Church Register, 1876-1953

Series 2 - Records of the German Evangelical Congregational Church (Stockham, Neb.), 1898-1906

  1. Church Register, 1898-1906

 

ADDED ENTRIES:

Clay County (Neb.) -- Churches
Congregational Churches in Nebraska
Evangelical Congregational Churches in Nebraska
Evangelical Church in Nebraska
German Evangelical Congregational Church (Stockham, Neb.)
German Evangelical Congregational Church (Sutton, Neb.)
Germans in Nebraska
Sutton (Neb.) -- Churches

 

Revised 09-09-2008   TMM

 

For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/church/sutton-german.htm
Last updated 13 February 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved