RG4326.AM: First Congregational Church (Syracuse, Neb.)
Syracuse, Otoe County, Neb.: Congregational church
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
The First Congregational Church of Syracuse, Nebraska, also known as the Taylor Memorial Church, was organized in 1871. The Congregation met first in a schoolhouse at Nursery Hill and in 1872 erected a small building in Syracuse which was the first church in the town. Rev. G. Davis was the first pastor. Various structures served the Congregation until 1907 when fundraising for a new church was begun under the direction of Rev. George E. Taylor. Taylor died before the new building was completed and it was dedicated in 1909, as the George E. Taylor Memorial Building. In 1919 the Congregational and Baptist Churches in Syracuse formed the Federated Church. After 1934 all meetings were held in the Baptist Church and the Congregational building converted to house the city library. In 1948 the Federated Church disbanded.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing one volume of records of the First Congregational Church of Syracuse, Nebraska, 1871-1914, and miscellaneous letters and papers. The volume, a church register, includes lists of church officers and pastors, members received and removed, baptisms, and minutes of annual and special meetings, 1893-1914. A few letters deal with the pastorate of the Syracuse Federated Church after the merger of the Congregational and Baptist congregations. These records were loaned for microfilming in January of 1977.
Church Register, 1871-1914
Miscellaneous loose letters and papers
Congregational Church in Nebraska
Cressman, Abraham Augustine
Federated Church (Syracuse, Neb.)
First Congregational Church (Syracuse, Neb.)
Otoe County (Neb.) -- Churches
Syracuse (Neb.) -- Churches
Taylor Memorial Church (Syracuse, Neb.)
Taylor, George Edward, -1907
Revised 06-12-2009 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.