RG3194.AM: St. Paul's United Church of Christ (Tecumseh, Neb.)
Tecumseh, Johnson County, Neb.: United Church of Christ
Size: 2 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm
The early meetings of the congregation of St. Paul's Church were held in the District 68 schoolhouse, some eight miles south of Tecumseh, beginning in 1894. Rev. Herman Krueger, Minister of the Evangelical Church of Steinauer, conducted services twice a month. In 1909 construction of a church building was begun, and the first services were held in the new building in April of 1910. Physical improvements, including the addition of a basement, continued throughout the years. In 1958 a tornado destroyed the buildings on the church premises, and a new church was built on the same site. This structure was completed and dedicated in 1959, in conjunction with the church's 50th Anniversary observances.
The original name of the church was St. Paul's Evangelical Church, which was changed to St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1934. Merger with the Congregational Church in 1957 resulted in the present name. Services were conducted entirely in the German language until 1934.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing two volumes of the records of the St. Paul's United Church of Christ, Maple Grove precinct, Johnson County, Nebraska. The records relate to the activities of St. Paul's Church, 1894-1948, and include the Church Constitution, minutes of meetings, registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and financial records. Many of the early records are in German. The collection was loaned for microfilming in June of 1969.
Minutes of church meetings, 1900-1943
Pastors' Reports, -1943
Church financial records, 1911-1948
Germans in Nebraska
Johnson County (Neb.) -- Churches
St. Paul's United Church of Christ (Tecumseh, Neb.)
Tecumseh (Neb.) -- Churches
Revised 02-25-2009 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.