RG3436.AM: Joseph Wright Johnson, 1835-1918
Plattsmouth, Cass County, Neb.: Sheriff; soldier
Size: 1 box; 0.5 cu.ft.
Joseph W. Johnson, was born in January of 1835 in Ohio, came west in 1857, and enlisted in the newly formed First Regiment of Nebraska Infantry in June of 1861. He served during the Civil War until his discharge in August of 1864. He returned to Plattsmouth, Nebraska, and became a law officer in December of 1866, served as sheriff for six years and later held various municipal offices. He died 14 April 1918, the last survivor of Co. A, 1st Nebraska.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The Joseph W. Johnson collection is arranged in three series: 1) Autobiographical material; 2) Civil War material; and 3) Miscellaneous. The bulk of material in the collection is his written recollections of the Civil War and his years as sheriff of Cass County, Nebraska.
Series 1 - Autobiographical MaterialBox 1
- Reminiscences to about the 1880s
Series 2 - Civil War Material
- Chronological history of the 1st Nebraska Infantry (later Cavalry) through 1864 with daily records, and accounts of such battles as Fort Donalson, Shiloh, and Gettysburg, rosters, etc.
- Stories about the battle flag of the 1st Nebraska Infantry (Note: The original 1st Nebraska Infantry battle flag [#2046] is held in the collections of the Nebraska History Museum.)
Series 3 - Miscellaneous
- Plattsmouth Post, G.A.R., minutes, etc.
- Commission as "Aid de-Camp," 1873, signed by Robert W. Furnas
Discharge of William G. Woodruff, 1866
Commission of Robert A. Collins, 1863
Cass County (Neb.) -- History
Grand Army of the Republic. Department of Nebraska. McConihie Post No. 45 (Plattsmouth, Neb.)
Johnson, Joseph Wright, 1835-1918
Law enforcement -- Nebraska
Plattsmouth (Neb.) -- History
Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
United States. Army. Nebraska Cavalry Regiment, 1st
United States. Army. Nebraska Infantry Regiment, 1st
Encoded TMM 05-11-2010
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.