RG4403.AM: Rose Rosicky, 1875-1954
Omaha, Douglas County, Neb.: Writer, editor
Size: 0.75 cu.ft.; 2 boxes
Rose Rosicky was born in Crete, Nebraska, in July of 1875. Her father, John Rosicky, was a well known Czech pioneer. While Rose Rosicky was quite young, the family moved to Omaha, where her father edited the Czech language farm magazine, Hospodar. She learned to read and write both English and Czech, and from her sixteenth year she helped her father with the magazine. When John Rosicky died in 1910, she took over the editorship and carried out the work of her father. Rose Rosicky had learned to love the history of her people, and in 1926 she set about writing that history to preserve an important part of Nebraska's past. This work was written in separate volumes in English and Czech, and was presented in its complete form to the Nebraska State Historical Society in January of 1927. Miss Rosicky died in Omaha in 1954.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of two manuscript boxes containing correspondence, scrapbooks, manuscripts and miscellaneous other items. The collection mainly relates to Rose Rosicky's History of the Bohemians (Czechs) in Nebraska, and to the Rosicky family.
Note: See the NSHS Library Catalog for various publications by Rose Rosicky and other Czech history publications and newspapers.
- Correspondence (letter from Rose Rosicky to Addison E. Sheldon, 1921)
- Scrapbook #1 (consists of clippings, pictures and congratulatory letters relating to publication of History of the Bohemians (Czechs) in Nebraska)
- Scrapbook #2 (consists of clippings, pictures, and some letters concerning the Rosicky family)
- Manuscripts (includes draft and final copy of her speech of presentation of copies of her history to the Nebraska State Historical Society, and a speech in abbreviated form on Bohemians in Nebraska which she delivered in 1926)
- Miscellany (includes an inventory of books given by Rose Rosicky to the Historical Society in 1933, and a pamphlet entitled "A History of the Bohemians (Czech) in Nebraska," compiled for the Czech Historical Society of Nebraska, 1929; biographical sketch of Rosicky; and translation of Czech stories by Rosicky
- History of Bohemians (Czechs) in Nebraska (includes two volumes, one each in English and in Czech - these are volumes presented by Miss Rosicky to the Nebraska State Historical Society in 1927)
Czechs in Nebraska
Rosicky, John, 1845-1910
Rosicky, Rose, 1875-1954
Encoded TMM 08-27-2011
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.