RG4036.AM: Stoddard Family
Papers: 1886-1965, n.d.
Brock and Auburn, Nemaha County, Neb.: Farmers
Size: 1.25 cu.ft.; 2 boxes
Collins DeWayne Stoddard was born near Copenhagen, New York on September 9, 1843. He moved to Nebraska in the 1860s where he taught elementary school and eventually opened a store in DeWitt, Nebraska. On October 22, 1871, he married Katherine Dunn. They had three children, Mattie May, born May 2, 1873; John Francis, born April 10, 1876; and Charles Thomas, born in January of 1879. Katherine Dunn Stoddard died on January 26, 1887, leaving Collins to raise three children.
In July of 1887, Collins started writing to Nella Aldrich, whom he had known previously. Collins and Nella were married on October 6, 1887. After the store in DeWitt failed, they received 50 acres of land from Nella's father, Benton Aldrich. They built a house and started farming. Collins and Nella had three more children including Lois, born in 1888; Wayne, born in 1893; and Hugh, born in 1898.
Collins DeWayne Stoddard died at Auburn, Nebraska on January 13, 1901. Nella Aldrich Stoddard died on December 24, 1938. Lois Stoddard died on July 15, 1942. Wayne Stoddard died on August 4, 1976.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists almost entirely of financial records kept by various members of the Stoddard Family of Nemaha County, Nebraska. The majority of the collection consists of various account books (farm, personal, etc.) dating from 1886-1965. Also included with the account books are income tax statements and various receipts dating from 1909-1941. The last folder of the collection contains the typescript diary of Lois Stoddard (1888-1942) edited by Robert Stoddard in July of 2006.
Note: There is currently no description available for the photograph portion of the collection. Please ask a reference staff member for assistance with the photographs.
- 1886-1887, personal account, Nella Aldrich
- 1887-1888, ledger book
- 1905-1914, account book
- 1905-1911, account between Benton Aldrich and Nella Stoddard
- 1908, account book, Nella Stoddard
- 1909, account book, Lois Stoddard
- 1914-1942, account book
- 1915-1923, account book
- 1916-1917, farm account, Wayne Stoddard
- 1917-1918, farm account
- 1918-1922, farm account books
- 1921-1931, personal account, Lois Stoddard
- 1923-1926, personal account, Nella Stoddard
- 1924-1932, account book
- 1925-1928, account book
- 1927-1930, account book
- 1930-1933, farm account, Hugh Stoddard
- 1931-1934, poultry account
- 1931-1941, garden/planting record
- 1931-1941, automobile record, Lois Stoddard
- 1932-1940, personal account, Lois Stoddard
- 1933-1935, account book
- 1933-1941, farm account
- 1933-1942, household account
- 1935-1941, poultry account
- 1936-1938, account book
- 1939-1942, account book
- 1941-1942, personal account, Lois Stoddard
- 1943-1946, account book
- 1947-1951, account books
- 1952-1957, account books
- 1958-1965, account books
- 1909-1941, n.d., income tax, receipts, etc.
- Diary of Lois Stoddard (1888-1942) edited by Robert Stoddard, July of 2006
Agriculture -- Nebraska -- Nemaha County
Aldrich, Benton, 1831-1918
Auburn (Neb.) -- History
Brock (Neb.) -- History
Farming -- Nebraska -- Nemaha County
Nemaha County (Neb.) -- History
Stoddard, Collins DeWayne, 1843-1901
Stoddard, Hugh, 1898-
Stoddard, Lois, 1888-1942
Stoddard, Nella Aldrich, -1938
Stoddard, Wayne, 1893-1976
Revised 04-01-2008 TMM/jl/gm
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.