RG1578.AM: Thomas W. Wright
Kansas City, Missouri: Historian
Size: 1 reel of microfilm containing 6 items
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of materials gathered by Thomas W. Wright, probably for his research on military posts of the northern and central plains, Crazy Horse, and the Indian Wars.
- Letter from James S. Hutchens, 1958, in which he provides sources for the topic of western military posts and the dress and equipment of cavalry soldiers and officers in the mid-1870s. Drawings by Hutchens are included.
- Typescript of William Garnett's report, 1920, to Gen. H.L. Scott and Major James McLaughlin on the death of Crazy Horse. Garnett was an interpreter. A cover letter from Fred B. Hackett accompanies the report.
- Big Foot Massacre Enumeration, 1890. This typescript list provides the Indian name, sex, and English name of the dead, wounded, and survivors from various bands.
- Picture of Joseph Eagle Hawk, 1934, and Eagle Hawk's description of the role and responsibilities of being an Ogalala Sioux Chief and his history of Crazy Horses's surrender at Ft. Robinson and his subsequent murder. A 1958 cover letter from Fred B. Hackett accompanies this material.
- Calendar for Oglala Sioux Names, 1759-1908. This lists the Oglala name for each year and its translation.
- Letter from Will G. Robinson of the South Dakota State Historical Society, 1959, regarding Oglala Winter Counts.
Crazy Horse (Ogalala Sioux), ca. 1849-1877
Fort Robinson (Neb.)
Garnett, William, 1855-?
Indians of North America -- Calendars
Indians of North America -- Government relations
Indians of North America -- Wars
Soldiers -- Great Plains
U.S. Army -- Cavalry
U.S. Army -- Military life
U.S. Army -- Uniforms
05-15-2007 Revised TMM/tmm
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.