Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Altrusa International Club (Lincoln, Neb.)


RG1749.AM:  Altrusa International Club (Lincoln, Neb.)

Records:  1921-1988
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Neb.:  Women's club
Size:  2.5 cu. ft.

HISTORICAL NOTE

The first Altrusa Club was organized April 1917, in Nashville, Tennessee. It was incorporated ads the Association of Altrusa Clubs later that year. In 1931, a permanent headquarters was opened in Chicago. With the establishment of a club in Mexico City in 1935, Altrusa became an international organization.

Altrusa was the first national organization of business and professional women. A member had to be an executive and outstanding in her particular field. Altrusa members believed that through group effort, women holding executive positions in business and in the professions should became articulate as an organized body. The organization's purpose was to carry out services for civic, national, and international development, while promoting the common interests of professional women.

The Lincoln, Nebraska Altrusa Club was organized April 5, 1922. On November 12, 1923, Altrusa's national president was notified that the Lincoln Club had met the charter requirement of 25 members. The charter, officially extending membership to the Lincoln Chapter into the Association of Altrusa Clubs, was delivered April 25, 1924. The Lincoln Club, like all other Altrusa chapters, spent much of its time organizing vocational guidance projects and civic affairs programs. Grants-in-aid, scholarships and loans for education and vocational training were programs commonly sponsored by the Lincoln Altrusa Club.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

This collection consists of three boxes of manuscript material arranged in six series: 1) Correspondence, 1923-1960; 2) Minutes and Reports, 1922-1981; 3) Membership Materials, 1921-1988; 4) Organizational History; 5) Scrapbooks, 1922-1941, 1958-1983; and 6) Miscellany.

This material relates to the internal affairs of projects carried on by the Altrusa International Club of Lincoln, Nebraska. All aspects of this group's history are reflected through the correspondence, minutes, membership materials, and scrapbooks included in this collection.

Series 1 consists of Correspondence, 1923-1960, written and received by the Lincoln Altrusa Club. Information from Altrusa's national office, membership recommendations and acceptances, resignations, program information, and loan fund applications are included in this series. The Minutes and Reports, 1922-1981, of Series 2 provide insight into Altrusa Club business. Some agendas, program and lecture plans, finances, annual reports, and a few rosters of committees and membership (see Series Three) are recorded.

The Membership materials, 1921-1988, of Series 3 provide listings of officers, committees, and members. Some membership applications are included, as well as yearbooks for most years from 1944 to 1988. Series 4 consists of materials dealing with the Lincoln Altrusa Club's organizational history. A "Chronicle of the Altrusa Club of Lincoln" updated to 1985 is included, as well as other brief histories, the club's charger and by-laws, and an Altrusa handbook.

The Scrapbooks, 1922-1941 and 1958-983, of Series 5 contain photographs, programs, and newspaper clippings documenting Lincoln Altrusa Club events through the years. The Miscellany of Series 6 includes newspaper clippings, programs, newsletters (the "Altrusagram"), project files, certificates, a photograph, and a loan fund ledger.

DESCRIPTION

Series 1 - Correspondence (Incoming and Outgoing), 1923-1960

Box 1
Folder
  1. 1923-1924
  2. 1925-1930
  3. 1931-1933
  4. 1938-1942
  5. 1943-1960

Series 2 - Minutes and Reports, 1922-1981

Box 1
Folder
  1. April 4, 1922 - December 12, 1927
  2. January 9, 1928 - December 19, 1932
  3. January 9, 1933 - 1941
  4. January 1, 1945 - May 19, 1952
  5. August 14, 1952 - 1955
  6. January 17, 1955 - June 4, 1956
  7. June 20, 1956 - June 2, 1958
  8. 1973-1981

Series 3 - Membership Materials, 1921-1988

Box 1
Folder
  1. Roster and dues record, 1922-1935 (members listed alphabetically)
  2. Officer, membership and committee rosters, 1921-1958 and 1975-1977
  3. Membership applications, 1927-1978
  4. Yearbooks, 1944-1988
  5. Yearbooks, 1944-1988
  6. Yearbooks, 1944-1988
  7. Yearbooks, 1944-1988
  8. Miscellany, 1955-1974

Series 4 - Organizational History

Box 2
Folder
  1. Chronicle of the Altrusa Club of Lincoln (through 1985)
  2. Histories; Handbook; Lincoln Chapter By-Laws (1978)
  3. Certificate of Charter electing Lincoln Chapter into Altrusa International, 1924

Series 5 - Scrapbooks, 1922-1941; 1958-1983

Volume
  1. 1922-1941 (see oversize)
  2. 1958-1964 (see oversize)
Box 2
Folder
  1. 1965-1966
  2. 1966-1969
  3. 1969-1972
  4. 1972-1973
  5. 1973-1974
  6. 1974-1975
  7. 1975-1976
  8. 1976-1977
  9. 1977-1978
  10. 1978-1980
  11. 1980-1981
Box 3
Folder
  1. 1982-1983

Series 6 - Miscellany

Box 3
Folder
  1. Newspaper clippings, c.1938-1958
  2. Programs
  3. Newsletters ("Altrusagram"), 1966-1985
  4. Newsletters ("Altrusagram"), 1966-1985
  5. Newsletters ("Altrusagram"), 1966-1985
  6. Project File: Hazel Abel Park, c.1969-1974
  7. Project File: Pioneer House/Telescope Fund, c.1975-1979
  8. Project File: Esther Eisenbarth Fund, c.1975-1979
  9. Loan Fund Ledger, 1934-1938
  10. Miscellaneous certificates, notes, photograph

 

ADDED ENTRIES:

Altrusa International Club (Lincoln, Neb.)
Lincoln (Neb.) -- Clubs
Vocational education
Women's clubs

 

03-27-2007   TMM/tmm

 


For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/organize/altrusa-club.htm
Last updated 11 February 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved