RG1836.AM: Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association (Lincoln, Neb.)
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Neb.: Organization of registered nurses
Size: 2.5 cu. ft.
In 1925 the Lincoln General Hospital of Lincoln, Nebraska, received its first patients and in that same year the School of Nursing held its first classes. The school was firmly established under the tenure of Gladys Smits, the first director, who served from 1927 through 1937. Nursing students began receiving part of their general education at the University of Nebraska in 1932. Under the new curriculum established in 1970, students attended university classes during the first two semesters and spent the next two years at the School of Nursing.
In May of 1976, the last class was graduated and the Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing was closed. The hospital continued to provide clinical experiences for students in the nursing education program at the University of Nebraska.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection, consisting of four boxes and three oversize volumes, was acquired from the Alumni Association of the Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing and is arranged in nine series: 1) Records of the Student Association of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1946-1974; 2) Records of the Alumni Association of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1949-1976; 3) Records of the Faculty of Lincoln General Hospital of Nursing, 1948-1969; 4) Records of the Nursing Advisory Committee of Lincoln General Hospital, 1948-1960; 5) Records relating to Commencement, 1927-1976; 6) Publications, 1928-1976; 7) Scrapbooks, 1966-1976; 8) Clippings, 1941-1976; and 9) Miscellany. The collection primarily consists of publications of the School and of the Alumni Association as well as clippings, programs, and memorabilia relating to programs and activities of the nursing students.
Series 1 contains records of the Student Association including a handbook for conducting the activities regularly sponsored by the students, a calendar of student activities for the school year 1969-1970, and programs of the Sweetheart Ball, student concerts and capping ceremonies. Records of the Alumni Association are contained in the Series 2. Among the records are the Association's Constitution and By-Laws, programs from annual banquets, and directories of members.
Series 3 contains records of the faculty of the School of Nursing including minutes of minutes, 1948-1951, and statements of educational policies. Series 4 consists of records of the Nursing Advisory Committee, 1948-1960, including some minutes, policy statements, correspondence, and a description of the duties of this policy-making group.
Series 5 contains Commencement invitations and programs, 1927-1975, as well as texts of commencement addresses, 1936-1949. Series 6 includes bulletins of the School of Nursing, handbooks for students and parents, school yearbooks, the newsletter of the Alumni Association, a handbook of nursing procedures used at Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, a 1932 report on nursing schools, a history of the Nebraska State Student Nurses Association, and the 50th anniversary issue of the American Journal of Nursing, October 1950.
Series 7 consists of scrapbooks with clippings, programs, and other memorabilia of activities of the classes of 1966, 1969 and 1970-1976. Various newspaper clippings are contained in Series 8. The miscellany of Series 9 includes correspondence relating to the admittance and certification of Elizabeth Stone, 1946-1949; several notebooks recording students clinical experiences; and brochures on Lincoln General Hospital.
Note: Photographs have been transferred to the photo collection [RG1836.PH]; other items have been sent to the Museum.
Series 1 - Records of the Student Association of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1946-1974Box 1
- Procedures for student activities and programs
- Student activities calendar, 1969-1970
- Sweetheart Ball, 1966-1974
- Student concerts-programs, 1949-1959
- Capping ceremonies-programs, 1946-1974
Series 2 - Records of the Alumni Association of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1949-1976
- Constitution and By-Laws
- Alumni Association banquet-programs, 1949, 1968-1976
- Alumni Association Directory, 1959-1964
Series 3 - Records of the Faculty of Lincoln General Hospital of Nursing, 1948-1969
- Minutes, October 1948-January 1951
Constitution and By-Laws of the Faculty Organization
- Educational policies, 1948-1969
Series 4 - Records of the Nursing Advisory Committee of Lincoln General Hospital, 1948-1960
- Rules governing the advisory committee, minutes, correspondence, reports, 1948-1950, 1960
Series 5 - Records relating to Commencement, 1927-1976
- Invitations, 1933-1973 and undated
- Programs, 1927-1976
- Addresses, 1936-1949
Series 6 - Publications, 1928-1976
- Bulletin of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1935-1961
- Bulletin of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1961-1974
- Student Handbook, 1949-1957 and undated
- Student Handbook, 1966-1970
- Student Handbook, 1971-1975
- Parents Handbook, n.d.
- The Skeleton, 1928
- The Arrowhead, 1960
- The Arrowhead, 1961
- The Arrowhead, 1962
- The Arrowhead, 1963, 1964, 1967-1969
- The Arrowhead, 1970-1975
- Lincoln General Hospital Alumni Newsletter, 1951, 1955-1965
- Lincoln General Hospital Alumni Newsletter, 1966-1970
- Lincoln General Hospital Alumni Newsletter, 1971-1976
- Nursing Procedures Handbook, 1944
- Grading of Nursing Schools, 1932
- History of Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing, 1960, 1976
- History of Nebraska State Student Nurses Association, 1961
- American Journal of Nursing: 50th Anniversary Issue, October, 1950
Series 7 - Scrapbooks, 1966-1976Volume
- Class of 1966 (see oversize)
- Class of 1969 (see oversize)
- Class of 1970-1976 (see oversize)
Series 8 - Clippings, 1941-1976Box 4
- Sweetheart Ball, 1964-1971
Series 9 - MiscellanyBox 4
- Papers of Elizabeth Stone, 1946-1949
- Students' records of nursing
- Brochures on Lincoln General Hospital
Letterhead stationary from School of Nursing
Brochure on nursing pins
Senior class will, 1949
Fact sheet for accreditation, 1935
Hospitals -- Nebraska
Lincoln General Hospital (Lincoln, Neb.)
Lincoln General Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association (Lincoln, Neb.)
Medicine -- Study and teaching
Nebraska State Student Nurses Association
Nurses -- Nebraska
Nursing -- Nebraska
Women in Nebraska
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.