RG4181.AM: Willard H. Waldo, 1912-2010
DeWitt, Saline County, Neb.: Farmer, State Senator (District 21 & 31)
Size: 1.5 cu.ft.
Willard H. Waldo, a Nebraska native, state senator, and farmer, was born on April 2, 1912. His family owned a farm in DeWitt, Nebraska, where Waldo was raised. The family raised Duroc hogs, shorthorn cattle, and Hampshire sheep and grew assorted produce. Building on his farming background, Waldo received his bachelors degree in animal science and vocational agriculture in 1934 and was a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity at the University of Nebraska. He married Beulah Plucknett on June 2, 1933 in Plattsmouth, Nebraska.
He held a variety of jobs, including a period as the director of the Weeping Water, Nebraska, German POW camp during WWII. In 1969 he became a Nebraska Senator and was a great sponsor and supporter of legislative bills dealing with Nebraska farmers and hog-growers. After his service in office, he settled into the position of President of Waldo Farms Inc.
Willard H. Waldo died in Wilber, Nebraska on May 2, 2010. Funeral services were held May 10th at the United Methodist Church in DeWitt. His body was laid to rest in the Oak Grove Cemetery outside of DeWitt. Memorials were established for the DeWitt United Methodist Church and the University of Nebraska Foundation for the benefit of the Animal Science department.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTEThis collection is comprised of materials assembled by Senator Willard H. Waldo, and is arranged in two series: 1) Legislative Bills and Research; and 2) Biography of the Waldo Family.
Series 1, Legislative Bills and Research, consists of two subseries, 1) Legislative Bills; and 2) Miscellaneous Research pertaining to his legislative duties. Waldo introduced approximately fifty percent of the legislative bills in this series.
Series 2 includes biographies of Willard Waldo and information about the Waldo family as a whole. Mr. Waldo's original order has been maintained as closely as possible in most folders, with the exception of the miscellaneous correspondence in folder 19, which is arranged by date.
Series 1 - Legislative Bills and Research, ca. 1962-1969Box 1
Subseries 1: Legislative Bills, 1962-1969
- LB 201 County Clerk/ Noxious Weed Control, 1969
- LB 289 Exemption of Property, 1969
- LB 321 SPF Swine/ Hog Cholera, 1965, 1967-1969, n.d.
- LB 323 Predatory Animals Bounty, 1968-1969, n.d.
- LB 341 Reduce Minimum Requirements for Group Insurance, 1969
- LB 345 Livestock Dealer Licensing Act, 1969, n.d.
- LB 391 Valuation of Property, 1969, n.d.
- LB 401 Assistants for Tax Commissioner, 1969
- LB 406 Annually Equalize Assessments, 1969, n.d.
- LB 443 Additional Qualifications for Veterinarians, 1969, n.d.
- LB 523 Livestock Auction Market, 1968-1969, n.d.
- LB 539 Limit Fee to Employment Agencies, 1965, 1969
- LB 555 Guest Statute Repeal, n.d.
- LB 592 Poison Baits, 1962, 1965, 1969
- LB 668 Farming Corporations, 1969, n.d.
- LB 680 Watershed Conservancy Districts, 1966, 1969, n.d.
- LB 780 Revise Highway Statutes, 1969
- LB 728 Beatrice State Home, n.d.
- LB 770 Predatory Animals and Birds/ Qualifications, 1969
- LB 771 Nurserymen/ Inspection/ Fees, 1969, n.d.
- LB 772 Power Review Board, 1969, n.d.
- LB 806 Turtle Dove Hunting, 1969
- LB 843 Appointment of Nebraska Wheat DU/MC Members, 1969
- LB 877 Predator Control, 1969
- LB 888 Pest Control, 1969, n.d.
- LB 889 Dairy, 1969
- LB 890 Department of Agriculture and Economic Development, 1969
- LB 909 Grand Island, 1969, n.d.
- LB 920 Student Aid to Higher Education, 1969
- LB 934 Hog Cholera, 1969
- LB 953, n.d.
- LB 964 Nebraska Diary Product Advisory Board, 1969, n.d.
- LB 979 Community Colleges, 1969, n.d.
- LB 987 Electricians/Plumbers, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1047 Poultry Disease Control Act, 1969
- LB 1066 Flood Control, n.d.
- LB 1150 Garbage Feeding, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1182 Hog Cholera/Duties for Director of Agriculture/Penalties, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1158 State Administrative Departments, 1969
- LB 1183 Dairy Industry Selling Below Cost, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1184 Livestock/Dealer Licensing Act, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1213 Livestock Industry, 1969
- LB 1263 Mental Illness Patients, 1969
- LB 1291 Border Inspection, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1292 Nebraska Soil and Plant Analysis Laboratory Act, 1967, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1309 Junior College District, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1342 School Districts, 1969
- LB 1344, n.d.
- LB 1346 Crime Commission, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1348 County Judges after 1972, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1357 Natural Resource Districts, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1367 Meat Inspection, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1374 Studded Tires, 1969
- LB 1392 Inmates with Family Visitation, 1969, n.d.
- LB 1394 Waste Treatment, 1969
- LB 1429 Electricians, 1969, n.d.
Subseries 2: Miscellaneous Research, ca. 1969Box 1
- County Judges Resolutions, 1969, n.d.
- Gas Tax Refund, 1969, n.d.
- Memorial Highway Designation, 1969
- Nebraska Stock Grower's Association, Resolutions Passed, 13 June 1969
- Nebraska Unicameral Newsletter, Sept. 1969
- Pork, 18 Apr. 1969
- Soil Surveys in Nebraska, Jan. 1969
Series 2 - Biography of the Waldo Family, ca. 1915-2000Box 2
- Willard H. Waldo Biography, 1974, 1996, 2000, n.d.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Football and Awards, 1934, 1971-1976, 1984, 1993-1996, n.d.
- Agricultural College and Extension Services, 1938-2000, n.d.
- Veterinary Science Facilities and Hog Disease Research, 1955-1998, n.d.
- Honor Farm Family, 1929-1995, n.d.
- National and International Trips, 1950-1985, n.d.
- Achievement Awards and Honors, 1973-1996, n.d.
- Statehood Dinner, 1981, 1992, n.d.
- Nebraska Agricultural Relations, 1968, 1992-1993, 1999, n.d.
- Waldo Family History, 1993, n.d.
- Pork Hall of Fame, 1964-1999
- Early Agricultural Groups, 1975, 1990, n.d.
- Early Public Relations Contacts, 1955-1984, n.d.
- Education Issues, 1949-1998
- State Fair Attendance, 1914, 1994, 1999-2000, n.d.
- Duroc Hog History, 1934-1996, n.d.
- DeWitt United Methodist Church, 1915, 1966-1989, n.d.
- DeWitt, Nebraska History, 1927-1994
- Miscellaneous Correspondence and Awards, 1949-2000, n.d.
DeWitt (Neb.) -- History
Legislation -- Nebraska
Nebraska. Legislature, 1957-1973
Politics -- Nebraska
Pork industry and trade
Saline County (Neb.) -- History
Waldo, Willard H., 1912-2010
Encoded TMM 08-08-2007
Revised TMM 05-11-2010
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.