Rich local history can be discovered in every Nebraska community and we can help you and your class explore it.
County Resources at the State Historical Society
- Database of the library catalog giving titles of published county histories
- An Index to and Bibliography of Reminiscences in the Nebraska State Historical Society Library, an index of memories written by Nebraskans. One of the three indexes for this source is organized with reference to towns.
- Database of local newpapers.
- Descriptions of historic properties by county.
- List of Photograph Collection Names
- Database of Nebraska City/County Directories
- Database of Nebraska County Atlases and Plat Maps.
- Database of old Nebraska telephone directories.
- Archeology publications (PDF) of your region of the state.
What You Can Do Locally
- Visit your local library to find old issues of the local newspaper and copies of your county history if documented.
- Visit your county courthouse to find property records and marriage records.
- Contact a genealogical society near you for more information about specific families living in your county. See the list of Genealogical Societies in Nebraska.
- Contact your local church for birth, death, membership, and marriage records and short histories about the church.
- Call your local historical society to see objects once used by Nebraskans in your county. The historical society might also have a collection of old photographs documenting changes in your county's business districts, neighborhoods, and rural areas. See the Historical Organizations in Nebraska list.
- Talk to older residents who have been in the community for a long time.