1. Why did we need the second state capitol?
The first capitol was in disrepair because it was built hurriedly and with poor materials.
2. Why did we need the third state capitol?
The second capitol was too small for the growing government.
3. Who was Thomas P. Kennard?
Nebraska's first secretary of state
4. What is the meaning of the following symbols found on the door to the former Senate chamber?
the thunderbird - figure of the heavens
the turtle - symbol of a productive life
the otter - Indian symbol for medicine
the corn - the Indian "tree of life"
5. The executive branch carries out the laws, the legislative branch makes the laws, and the judicial branch interprets the laws.
6. How tall is the sower? Nineteen feet tall What is it made of? bronze
7. What motto do you see carved in stone as you walk through the north door of the capitol? The salvation of the state is watchfulness in the citizen.
8. What does this motto mean to you?