1. List six materials used in building homes in Nebraska and explain how they were obtained or produced.
sod - used a grasshopper plow to cut sod into strips
mud - mixture of wet clay and straw put into mold and dried
wood - lumber shipped up the Missouri by steamboat and cut at local sawmills. Later, lumber was transported by railroad.
brick - press clay into desired shape and fired in a kiln
log - in Eastern Nebraska, the sides of logs were chopped off with a broadaxe to make them flat
stone - dug from the ground and carved into blocks
2. Using the resources of the land, what type of house would you build if you were living in a place with few trees?
3. Using the resources of the land, what type of house would you build if you were living in an area with many trees or along a stream with timber?
4. What was the advantage of a frame house over a sod or log house?
a frame house was easier to keep clean
5. What was the advantage of a brick or stone house over a frame house?
a brick house needed little maintenance and was almost completely fireproof
6. Where is Arbor Lodge located?
7. Where were the first Nebraska bricks made?