Of the fifteen enlisted men's barracks of log, adobe, or fired brick, only this structure remains at Fort Robinson. It housed men of the 8th and 12th Cavalry and the Quartermaster Remount Service. A similar structure near the brick officers' homes at the west end of the parade ground was torn down after Fort Robinson was abandoned. In 1956 the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission adapted the building to lodging for visitors and provided for its preservation.
Nebraska State Historical Society