In January 1944 German prisoners of war from the Indianola camp came to a side camp here to help area farmers complete the 1943 corn harvest. Over the next two years the Palisade camp was activated and deactivated as needed to supply labor to harvest crops or work in beet fields. Farmers contracted with the government and paid the prisoners' wages. In December 1945 the camp closed for the last time, and POWs were returned to Camp Atlanta near Holdrege, Nebraska.
Hansen Charitable Foundation
Nebraska State Historical Society
Main Street, Palisade