Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Village of Halsey

In 1885 surveyors designated a route through the Sand Hills for a Burlington Railroad branch line. The rails reached this point on the Blaine-Thomas county line in 1887, and a town was laid out. It was named Halsey after Halsey E. Yates, the son of Burlington official Charles E. Yates. A depot was constructed, followed by a post office and school/church, both built of sod.

The first general store was on the west side of Main Street, a block north of the depot. Other buildings included a blacksmith shop, saloon, and the "Shady Nook" hotel. Area ranchers drove their cattle to town for shipment to market, bought supplies, and often stayed at the hotel. In 1904 the depot burned, bringing change to Halsey's configuration. The town was resurveyed and rebuilt mostly in Thomas County.

In 1902 President Theodore Roosevelt designated a national forest reserve (now part of the Nebraska National Forest) southwest of Halsey, where all the trees were hand-planted. While the population has declined, Halsey remains alive with community spirit.

Village of Halsey
Halsey-Purdum Service Club
Thomas County Visitor Committee
Nebraska State Historical Society, 2014

Thomas County
Village park, southeast corner of HWY 2/Jewett Ave & Pearl St, Halsey


 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/village of hasley.htm
Last updated 04 June 2015

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved