ARCADIA CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Three years after the town of Arcadia was platted in October 1885, the First Congregational Church was organized on November 25, 1888, the second church intown. Articles of incorporation were recorded on December 2, 1889, and the building, costing $2,885, was dedicated in July 1890. The Reverend Howard Hitchcock was the first permanent pastor. A parsonage was erected in 1899. On July 9, 1904, a tornado damaged the church, which was repaired without the original steeple. In the spring of 1920 a new parsonage was constructed east of the church.
The longest serving pastor was the Reverend William Alcorn, from 1919 to 1929. During his pastorate the church added 258 members and held 20 weddings. By the 1970s membership had begun to decline, and in August 1998 the five remaining members voted to close the church, after 110 years of service to the community, and donate the building to Arcadia. Now known as "The Gathering Place," it is used for weddings, funerals, and other events. It is the oldest building on Main Street.
Valley County Centennial Committee
Nebraska State Historical Society
Hill and Bridge Streets, Arcadia
For questions or comments on the website itself, email
NSHS Home | Search | Index | Top
Last updated 25 July 2005