Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

AXTELL, NEBRASKA

Swedish immigrants began homesteading Mirage Township, Kearney County, in 1873. By 1876 these families had formed the Swedish Lutheran Church (Bethany Lutheran), the first church in Kearney County. The tempo of settlement increased with the coming of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad in 1883. Tradition says Axtell was named after the engineer of the first train to pass though the village. Axtell was incorporated December 14, 1885.

Cooperative effort resulted in the establishment of three Axtell institutions. A mutual insurance company was founded April 19, 1885, to cover losses from fire, hail, wind, and theft. Pastor K. G. William Dahl, deeply concerned that people "remember them that are in bonds," received community support in establishing Bethphage Mission February 19, 1913. The first reorganized school district in Nebraska, R-1, was ratified in a special election May 6, 1952, by the residents of Axtell and thirteen surrounding school districts.

In the early 1900s Axtell was known as "Windmill Town" because of its many windmills. International renown was brought to Axtell in 1964 and in 1968 by Gary Anderson, who won Olympic Medals in rifle marksmanship.


Axtell Centennial Corporation
Nebraska State Historical Society
City Park, off Hwy. 6 in Axtell
Kearney County
Marker 292

 

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/axtell_nebraska.htm
Last updated 4 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved