Founded in 1870 by Israel Swihart, the cemetery was named for his wife, Mary Brewster Swihart. Those buried here include three Civil War veterans, and several children who succumbed to the harsh conditions of life on the Great Plains. The cemetery is also the eternal resting place for persons unknown, whose grave markers have been ravaged by time and the elements. It serves as a memorial to the sturdy pioneers who lived and died while making a home on the Nebraska prairie.
Nebraska State Historical Society
2.5 miles west of U.S. ? on County Road 26